S3 Progress Report Vol 4 Facial Animations

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: S3 Progress Report Vol 4 Facial Animations

Postby Elevensixty » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm

The clip was easy to criticize- at first look most people are going to think its Mass Effect Andromeda awkwardness.
They need to literally explain "now, this is just a test- notice the T pose and the eyes aren't tracking, so they just look straight, but here the animator is going through some facial expressions... and now in sync with dialogue. Coming along nicely- can't wait to see it all working together"
Elevensixty
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: elevensixty
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Polybius

Postby WildManofBorneo » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:17 pm

Give this game another 14 to 16 months of development time and I truly believe that we will have the Shenmue 3 that we all want. It’s still very early, especially because the team has just hit hit full strength with the recent cash injection from Deep Silver.
WildManofBorneo
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:04 pm

I'd like to enquire who deleted my post and why. Especially considering it was a valid point and still exists via a quote. If I don't receive a response I'm more than happy to take the point even further, as absolutely none of this makes sense and there's nothing I detest more than having my time wasted by things such as pointless deletions.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby shredingskin » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:59 pm

Elevensixty wrote: The clip was easy to criticize- at first look most people are going to think its Mass Effect Andromeda awkwardness.
They need to literally explain "now, this is just a test- notice the T pose and the eyes aren't tracking, so they just look straight, but here the animator is going through some facial expressions... and now in sync with dialogue. Coming along nicely- can't wait to see it all working together"

They should also explain that it's actually a 3d model created by triangles in a numeric array, they're not actually having slaves at gunpoint doing faces in a prision that looks like a computer screen.

Come on, the people that are fucking with this will complain about anything.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:39 am

MiTT3NZ wrote:Image

Just preserving this one for you in case it gets deleted too. Got your back, bro. :P

Let's Get Sweaty has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, VukBZ2005
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Elevensixty » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:08 am

Haters confirmed.
Well, I'm Shenmue for life and I'm happy with the progress.
The presentation was easy to misunderstand, and I don't like Shenmue to get bad press.
We don't need time and money wasted on reports, but... send any fan here into the room for 52 seconds and you'll get a better presentation.
Elevensixty
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: elevensixty
Currently playing: Polybius

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:21 am

Another one of the non-updates again. No problem for me, but kind of boring nevertheless. Well, at least they're kind of keeping in touch with the fans that way.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Tosh » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:18 am

I have no problem with the graphics or the faces or the animations.
I played games like Deadly Premonition which looks like a shitty PS2 game and i love that game.

What i don't like are these dev videos. Come on, if you want to show us something, then do it right.
A 40 sec video where somebody films a computer screen is not a good idea.
Make it 3-5 minutes, show us what you have right now, tell us what you are looking forward to and i'm happy.
If you don't have anything to show, then don't make a video.
Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Nahovil » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:52 am

KidMarine wrote:
Nahovil wrote: but in all it shames you a little by your assessment of it by calling someone "delusional" with such ease.

I'm all for criticism, I don't like the first model shown in this update at all, but to think that the animation won't improve over the test we're shown here or the character models won't improve even though Yu says they're placeholders, well then you're ignorant at best. Sorry.
Kiske wrote:Image

This but with slightly better models is all I want from the game aesthetically, and more than I thought possible. If it looks this good I'll be over the moon.

You are still encountering the same difficulty. Perhaps if you didn't cherry-pick sentences of people you are talking to, you would then bother to understand my point. I never, ever said the animations and graphics wouldn't still improve.

Kiske wrote:Maybe it's good to remind us what's the actual reality of Shenmue 3 development.

Are we (still) expecting Shenmue 3 to be at AAA standards?

I agree with your post. I should add, however, that what made sense to me was expecting, regardless of the budget, something most professional, tactful and immersive as I haven't encountered in any other game since, characteristics well in reach of the money they've been granted. It's a strategic question; with this budget, for instance, if you make a 6 hour game, "AAA standards" are possible. Of course, Papyrus fonts, awkward Halloween illustrations and the overall management of the project, personally, they don't bode well for what is to be expected in Shenmue.
Nahovil
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:27 am

Cheeky cunt. :biglaugh:
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby KidMarine » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:14 am

Nahovil wrote:with this budget, for instance, if you make a 6 hour game, "AAA standards" are possible.

Do you know the exact budget? Even before Deep Silver got involved, there was more to it than just the KickStarter money, Cedric said that Shibuya had invested "several million" in the project. You're right about elements of the campaign being mishandled, and they definitely need a good PR firm, but I don't think it's reasonable to make judgement calls about how the full game will turn out based on this.

KidMarine has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Valascaziel » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:36 am

If Yu keeps apace with his word that marketing will start in December, we could be looking at an up to date teaser around PSX.

Then and ONLY then can we adequately start to worry about particulars. Even then, maybe not considering we would still have several months to go, maybe longer if it slips to Q1 2019.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:54 am

Valascaziel wrote: ...marketing will start in December

I just wonder what that marketing could be. They’re not going to be ready to show off full trailers yet. I’m not an expert on video game marketing. I can’t help but think that’s when Shenmue 1 and 2 will be released in whatever form and he’s considering that marketing. Did he actually specify December?
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Valascaziel » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:02 am

He said he hopes by the end of the year, so that pegs either PSX or a large Kickstarter update right before the new year.

Shenmue HD would help, but that's still up in the air, despite it being(to me) one of the worst kept secrets in the industry right now.

We also do not necessarily know they'll be unable to show off a recent build. We know the initial trailer was old by a few months, that's been said. We know Yu has shown WIP models to press with facial animation, we also have the tech update showing it as present.

A LOT can change in these months. 4 months is a long time in a development perspective. We shall see.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:36 pm

Didn't YS just say last week he had enough money to deliver a complete Shenmue experience? I don't know how accurate the statement is considering at best he has 10M to make the game. But I will take him on his word.

I don't think the game will look like Uncharted 4 by December but hopefully the animations and texture work is as good as the previous games.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III