S3 Progress Report Vol 4 Facial Animations

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: S3 Progress Report Vol 4 Facial Animations

Postby ys » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:01 am

Elevensixty wrote: The clip was easy to criticize- at first look most people are going to think its Mass Effect Andromeda awkwardness.
They need to literally explain "now, this is just a test- notice the T pose and the eyes aren't tracking, so they just look straight, but here the animator is going through some facial expressions... and now in sync with dialogue. Coming along nicely- can't wait to see it all working together"

True. They should be slightly more careful with their progress reports from now on since more non-fans are keeping an eye on the game after the progress teaser. The facial animation controversy was mostly over by now but this video provoked similar comments again. Explaining better what they're doing and what the end goals are would help a bit. Stuff like this could otherwise start creating lasting negative impressions which a returning series doesn't need.

ys has received a thanks from: Kiske
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby VukBZ2005 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:09 pm

ys wrote:True. They should be slightly more careful with their progress reports from now on since more non-fans are keeping an eye on the game after the progress teaser. The facial animation controversy was mostly over by now but this video provoked similar comments again. Explaining better what they're doing and what the end goals are would help a bit. Stuff like this could otherwise start creating lasting negative impressions which a returning series doesn't need.

The problem is the obvious failure of some people to look at what's being released by YsNet objectively. Even if they were more careful with future progress reports, there'll still be those out there making ridiculous comments about "how bad the game looks" and "the developers don't know what they're doing."

That's the reason we have to accept that there's a group of people in the gaming sphere that (a) didn't like how Shenmue series was revived and (b) are trying to stop it from progressing to completion.

There's nothing that can be done to change the minds of these fools. The only thing we can do is to stop them from creating a disgusting bandwagon effect harmful to the series on unjustified grounds. We must do this by pointing out what's both obvious & true.

Our acceptance of this fact doesn't mean we exempt YsNet from legitimate & constructive criticism, either. IMO, Legitimate & constructive criticism will make the final product better. Isn't that what we ultimately want?
Last edited by VukBZ2005 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VukBZ2005 has received a thanks from: Sonoshee
VukBZ2005
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: VukBZ2005
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PS4) ;)

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:29 pm

I just wish they would start giving us more gameplay stuff (like the free battle system) instead of visuals. You are kinda shooting yourself in the leg when you appear on the same news circle with FFXV new cut scenes... I don't even like the game but Luna's facial expressions are amazing.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby VukBZ2005 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:00 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: I just wish they would start giving us more gameplay stuff (like the free battle system) instead of visuals. You are kinda shooting yourself in the leg when you appear on the same news circle with FFXV new cut scenes... I don't even like the game but Luna's facial expressions are amazing.

Actually, if we got more "gameplay stuff," everyone would get a better idea of where they're going with the animations. A lot of that, i.e., animations, is linked to moves & techniques.
VukBZ2005
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: VukBZ2005
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PS4) ;)

Postby graphx » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:05 pm

I do like the new visuals in S3, but sometimes I wished they just reworked the original S3 game content. Just and some filter and minor visual updates like they did from S2 Dreamcast to Xbox.

I would be happy with those graphics.
graphx
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:44 am

graphx wrote: I do like the new visuals in S3, but sometimes I wished they just reworked the original. Like they did from S2 Dreamcast to Xbox.

I would be happy with those graphics.

I agree.
BlueCreeperBoy12
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby The_Intruder » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:08 am

I cant wait for tonight update. It better be good.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Tortu_genial » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:36 am

There is no more monthly Update?

Perhaps the fisrt sign of the new DeepSilver's strategie
Tortu_genial
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby south carmain » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:15 pm

Tortu_genial wrote: There is no more monthly Update?

Yeah with DeepSilver involved I'm not surprised if they become a lot less transparent. Especially after the backlash the trailer got for looking unpolished. That being said I won't judge if it's a good or bad decision until the game is released.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:24 pm

south carmain wrote:
Tortu_genial wrote: There is no more monthly Update?

Yeah with DeepSilver involved I'm not surprised if they become a lot less transparent. Especially after the backlash the trailer got for looking unpolished. That being said I won't judge if it's a good or bad decision until the game is released.

It's probably because they got extra funding. I bet right now they're in shock so it'll take time for them to decide when to announce it. The next update may have big news, or at least I'm hopeful that's the case!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Hyo Razuki » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:30 am

I understand and appreciate the approach of "only doing an update when there's actually something to show". I understand Deep Silver wanted a teaser when announcing the publishing deal at Gamescom which led to the teaser being prematurely released. But then again, why did Deep Silver allow the last facial animations update video in September?

I'd rather have YS Net post less frequent updates, but when they do, actually say something.

In fact I think, the game won't need a lot of updates for now. Put out a proper trailer some time in Q1 2018, put out the demo in summer and then start building up the hype for the game, by releasing small updates every other week or so. Like doing some kind of update every other week from then on to keep it in the media.

Then release the game in November 18 and we're good.

Once we are three to six months away from release, you slowly have to build up momentum, but for now, I think they should only give people an update when it's actually something worth showing.

It's only one more year until the game's release, so no need to overdo it now. I certainly prefer radio silence over unpolished teasers and weird 40-second non-updates.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Previous

Return to Shenmue III