How to Change Someone's Mind?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: How to Change Someone's Mind?

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:32 pm

OL wrote:
killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:Tell your friend QTEs are just a mini game and that the game is mainly a 3D beat them up RPG with a strong narrative.

Well... that's not really what it is either, if we look at it honestly.
The beat-em-up elements are only as prominent as the QTE sequences, so you may as well call them a minigame as well. It's no more a beat-em-up than Indigo Prophecy/Farenheit was.
And calling it an "RPG" is, especially in the modern videogame sense of the genre, wholly misleading. It was a branding that the devs put on the game back in the day mainly because RPGs were the top-selling genre in Japan, so just about everything was being advertised as "RPG." The only RPG-esque thing about it is the fact that you can improve your moveset through use, but nowadays everything from Devil May Cry to Call of Duty to Dead By Daylight to Assassin's Creed has that.
It's always been strange to me that the series' fans rarely ever refer to the series with the most obvious genre label available: Adventure.
It's vague, sure, but it's far more accurate than most other labels the series tends to get saddled with. I'd say the series really has more in common, from a pacing and progression standpoint, with old point-n-click adventure games, just with more freedom and variety.

I was trying to help :lol:
You can always give him a 2 page report.

Adventure games are indeed a lost art. RPG also used to mean something different, nowadays is follow X mark on minimap and use detective vision to complete side quest or main quest.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:31 pm

I don't think it's specially convincing but the Wikipedia quote is still my favorite insight into what the game is.

If the Grand Theft Auto games have been vilified as crime simulators in which you can press a button to buy a hooker then run a hooker over with a car, Shenmue is a game where you can press a button to politely ask directions, then combo into cherishing your elders and always remembering to recycle. Instead of giving us a city to be tested and battered against in all directions, Shenmue builds you a world and asks you to follow the rules rather than break them.

Brendan Main, The Escapist, December 21, 2010

I would add "And that is what makes the game so fun!".

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: OL
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby JohnBlack » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:31 am

Whats wrong with hatin shenmue?
JohnBlack
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby south carmain » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:31 pm

Honestly, I think the main selling point for shenmue should be its immersion.

south carmain has received 2 thanks from: OL, VukBZ2005
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby graphx » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:39 am

I would show the opening scene from shenmue. That could get someone hooked.

Even before I saw that I wanted to play shenmue, but I was a follower/fan of Am2 and sega. I remeber when I got Shenmue 1 and showed the opening to guys at work that didn't know anything about it. They saw the intro and then wanted to play!

This was along time ago, but it still might peak interest.

graphx has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
graphx
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Previous

Return to Shenmue III