How to Change Someone's Mind?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

How to Change Someone's Mind?

Postby Telekill » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:38 am

Hello all,

I was in a chat today with some friends playing Destiny 2 and we ended up on the topic of Shenmue. One of those I was talking too automatically had a negative reaction to the mention of the series. I'm not sure if he had ever actually played them as I didn't get the chance to really ask. He automatically blurted out "Why does anyone like that game? It's just a QTE game."

I stopped him in his tracks stating that I was in on Shenmue 3 for over $100. Now, unfortunately, the conversation quickly changed to in game happenings as the action ramped up but it left me thinking... what is the best way to change someone's mind on Shenmue that appears to have preconceived notions that are obviously incorrect? Is it just a matter of a lack of information about the series? Do I simply urge him to try it?

Have you guys ran into this? What do you do?
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Re: How to Change Someone's Mind?

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:32 pm

Just explain what it actually is i guess. I dunno. I had a similar thing with my brother, just saying that it's boring and slow without actually playing it.
BlueCreeperBoy12
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:57 pm

Telekill wrote: “It's just a QTE game.”

He set up your counter argument right there. You know Shenmue is more than QTEs. But he’s doing what we all do at times. He has a preconceived idea of what the game is and never dug deeper about why people like it so much.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:40 pm

Use the Force.

TwiceFriedRice has received a thanks from: iyapol
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby OL » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:51 pm

Does it really matter? If he's not interested, it's entirely possible that he's just not interested. If he immediately knew what it was (regardless of how ignorant he is to the gameplay), no doubt he knows what its aesthetics are; that of it being steeped in Japanese/Chinese culture and all that. Typically that's the most appealing aspect for the majority of the series' fans. So if that, in itself, isn't enough to get him to play it, then it's probably just not something he's gonna dig.
There are games like that for me too; stuff like Mass Effect or the Witcher come to mind. I already know what they are and know they're never gonna be favorites of mine, so I'd rather no one was setting out on a mission to "change my mind" about them. I'm just not interested. So I'd say, for people like that... just let it be. Not everyone has to like Shenmue.

OL has received 5 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, Rakim, SickOctopus, TwiceFriedRice, VukBZ2005
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:07 am

OL wrote: Does it really matter? If he's not interested, it's entirely possible that he's just not interested.

NO! Shenmue is the best and most influential game ever and anyone who dislikes it clearly doesn’t understand or is an idiot! You’re clearly a Shenmue hater and want Shenmue 3 to fail.

Riku Rose has received 4 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, punkmanced, Rakim, SickOctopus
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:34 am

Your friend actually said that while he plays crap like Destiny?! That's pretty stupid.

Shenmue_Legend has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:23 pm

Telekill wrote: Hello all,

I was in a chat today with some friends playing Destiny 2 and we ended up on the topic of Shenmue. One of those I was talking too automatically had a negative reaction to the mention of the series. I'm not sure if he had ever actually played them as I didn't get the chance to really ask. He automatically blurted out "Why does anyone like that game? It's just a QTE game."

I stopped him in his tracks stating that I was in on Shenmue 3 for over $100. Now, unfortunately, the conversation quickly changed to in game happenings as the action ramped up but it left me thinking... what is the best way to change someone's mind on Shenmue that appears to have preconceived notions that are obviously incorrect? Is it just a matter of a lack of information about the series? Do I simply urge him to try it?

Have you guys ran into this? What do you do?

Tell your friend QTEs are just a mini game and that the game is mainly a 3D beat them up RPG with a strong narrative.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby VukBZ2005 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:09 pm

OL wrote: just let it be. Not everyone has to like Shenmue.

I agree. Not everyone has to like Shenmue. Although I'd like it if more played the Shenmue series, we'd do fine with enough of the fanbase buying SIII. That's what counts.
VukBZ2005
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: VukBZ2005
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PS4) ;)

Postby OL » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:24 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:Tell your friend QTEs are just a mini game and that the game is mainly a 3D beat them up RPG with a strong narrative.

Well... that's not really what it is either, if we look at it honestly.
The beat-em-up elements are only as prominent as the QTE sequences, so you may as well call them a minigame as well. It's no more a beat-em-up than Indigo Prophecy/Farenheit was.
And calling it an "RPG" is, especially in the modern videogame sense of the genre, wholly misleading. It was a branding that the devs put on the game back in the day mainly because RPGs were the top-selling genre in Japan, so just about everything was being advertised as "RPG." The only RPG-esque thing about it is the fact that you can improve your moveset through use, but nowadays everything from Devil May Cry to Call of Duty to Dead By Daylight to Assassin's Creed has that.
It's always been strange to me that the series' fans rarely ever refer to the series with the most obvious genre label available: Adventure.
It's vague, sure, but it's far more accurate than most other labels the series tends to get saddled with. I'd say the series really has more in common, from a pacing and progression standpoint, with old point-n-click adventure games, just with more freedom and variety.

OL has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, sand4fish
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:22 pm

It's not that hard. I just tell anyone over 30 that if they have ever played a Sierra or Lucasarts game from the 90s, like Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, Gabriel Knight and Phantasmagoria, that will be what Shenmue will feel most like but now with the sensibilities of a "open world" type of game. If they are younger, I tell them it's kinda like Until Dawn, Heavy Rain but with a martial arts thematic and an emphasis on a single protagonist as the player, and again a more open world approach instead of the episodic scope of those games. Deadly Premonition would be up there as well, but I wonder how many people actually know or played the game.
It's just a matter of whether people are into the adventure genre.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:38 am

@OL: Nah, it's FREE. Genre unto itself n all that.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Bambi » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:49 am

Tell them it's about a grieving son on a mission to avenge a man who emotionally blackmailed him into eating vegetables.

Bambi has received 2 thanks from: BlueCreeperBoy12, OL
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby shredingskin » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:31 pm

You have to take it slowly, just do some casual chat, about nothing in particular, then you start to throw little hints about the game and how good it is, when you gain his affection, you bang his mom.

Really, you just have to say that has eclectic gameplay and it's quite unique, it's not for everyone but you might like it.

Then if he doesn't want to play it or doesn't like it, it's his shitty taste and should be killed (but make sure to bang his mother first, so you can show it the video, added points if you put shenmue music as background).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby RootyKazooty » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:46 pm

Tricky to know what to tell a Shenmue hater online.

In person the best thing to do is keep spamming them with Crescent Kicks until they fall down,
then walk away singing the theme music.

Laa la la la laaa, la laa laaa....
RootyKazooty
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Next

Return to Shenmue III