The Chi You Men and the legendary Chinese Monster

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

The Chi You Men and the legendary Chinese Monster

Postby jasonorme666 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:44 am

Something that I don't see discussed much is how the Chi You Men are trying to acquire the mirrors so the legendary Chinese monster "Chi You" can be resurrected and devour the world.
I think it's Master Chen who says "if the dragon and Phoenix meet the gates of heaven and earth will open and Chi You will resurrect itself on earth”.

Shenmue 2 opens things up for the supernatural and I'm sure further chapters will expand this even more.

But I want to know what everyone else thinks.. with Shenmue being so grounded in reality are we talking about an actual monster?. Chi You is depicted as a sort of Bull/Ox humanoid, sometimes with multiple arms and as the current series stands it would be very much out of place.
So maybe it's not an entity as such, but maybe a curse or a power that can be harnessed?.
jasonorme666
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Re: The Chi You Men and the legendary Chinese Monster

Postby KidMarine » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:48 pm

The supernatural is coming. That's been the plan since day one. Accept it or stop now, those are your choices.

Personally, stories that mix realism with a little bit of the supernatural or otherworldly are my favourite. Stuff like True Detective season 1 or Battlestar Galactica. Stories that try to be believable, but there's just a sense of something more going on too.

KidMarine has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Hadoken Hazuki » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:31 pm

I think Shenhua is going to be the key to everything. I made a post here about 12 years ago with a theory that Shenhua herself may be the Qing Dynasty treasure in some way, a living incarnation of an ancient power that perhaps Ryo is destined to be the guardian of.

Zhu explains that the Dragon Mirror combined with the Phoenix Mirror will reveal the location of the treasure, and in the bad ending of Shenmue II, Lan Di obtains both mirrors and comes straight for Shenhua, claiming that he will take her power for Chiyou. We've already seen that she is clearly not a normal human, and is gifted with some sort of supernatural ability. Perhaps Tentei's ultimate goal is to resurrect Chiyou, and Shenhua is the missing step to achieving it.
Hadoken Hazuki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:59 pm

I hope it's an actual monster. That would make it way more cooler and awesome! In order for Shenmue to become a totally legendary and badass series, it must have magic included. Otherwise, it's not going to have the same potential. The inclusion of magical powers can take it to a whole new level.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby elfshadowreaper » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:55 am

I hope it stays grounded in reality until the last possible moment. I think about Berserk before the egg thing was used by Griffith. That made such an impact because it was low fantasy until that and then it became high fantasy.

elfshadowreaper has received a thanks from: killthesagabeforeitkillsu
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Return to Shenmue III