Raising more money for Shenmue III

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Raising more money for Shenmue III

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:24 am

After Suzuki-san recently stated that he'd need 10 times the amount of their current budget to implement features like the NPC schedule, full voice acting and to also have high end graphics, I've been doing some thinking of how to get them the money they need. My idea currently is that we contact some celebrities such as Bill Gates and ask them for a donation. I mean, even $50M would be nothing to someone like Bill Gates! Of course this may be silly and possibly a long shot, but hey I ain't good with this type of stuff. Thoughts?
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Re: Raising more money for Shenmue III

Postby Valascaziel » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:42 am

Slacker Backer is ongoing. Deep Silver, I believe, has injected the funds he needed as he now states he can make the game we imagined.

The only other injection of funds would be if the publisher they are seeking for Japan puts anything into the pot as well, but that's up in the air.

Valascaziel has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:42 am

Valascaziel wrote: Slacker Backer is ongoing. Deep Silver, I believe, has injected the funds he needed as he now states he can make the game we imagined.

The only other injection of funds would be if the publisher they are seeking for Japan puts anything into the pot as well, but that's up in the air.

Well actually, I don't think Deep Silver has gave him all the money that is required. In the thread titled "Yu Suzuki talks about Shenmue III and memories" there's some stuff that he says which indicates they still don't have all the money that they need. Here are a few quotes that prove this:

"Question 2 to Yu:
But still - Shenmue 3 has not the same budget as 1 or 2. What do you have to change in the game because of that?

Yu's answer:
The story is still intact but i had to adjust some of the extra elements and details. We talked about the 200 people in that village - maybe we will even have 400 in the end, i didn't decide yet. You have to remember that all the city / village residents in 1 & 2 had a "real" simulated life, thats a really complicated and tough quest and the budget for Shenmue 3 is probably not big enough to do that again.

Question 3 to Yu:
Will there be voices and sound for everything in the game?

Yu's answer:
We don't know yet. To tell the truth - the amount of text is getting bigger and bigger and not all of it is planned, so we don't know if all of it will be available with sound."

And the last quote: "We don't have any facial expressions in the game right now and none of the character models are final yet. So it will look different and better in the final game. The teaser is not representing the quality of the final game, we are still in the middle of developing. And of course you have to remember the budget. The budget is good enough for our game, but its pretty small if you compare it to other games right now. We can't keep up with big modern games. We would need a way bigger budget (ten times bigger than now) to make perfect modern graphics. So we need to find a good middle way between good graphics and good content. Please don't expect highend graphics, Shenmue 3 is not about that."
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:00 am

Doubt anyone with Bill Gates' kind of money is going to dump $50 million into a game that's of no interest or benefit to them. Would be nice in a different world.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:13 am

mjq jazz bar wrote: Doubt anyone with Bill Gates' kind of money is going to dump $50 million into a game that's of no interest or benefit to them. Would be nice in a different world.

I know. But, it's still possible and is also the best thing I could think of.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby sand4fish » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:30 pm

Shenmue_Legend wrote:
mjq jazz bar wrote: Doubt anyone with Bill Gates' kind of money is going to dump $50 million into a game that's of no interest or benefit to them. Would be nice in a different world.

Hmm you also could think of becoming an overnight multi-millionaire yourself by ways of staking your entire house and savings on low odds gambling, winning the lottery and/or playing with derivatives on the stock market, and donating about $50 million of the winnings for the cause in the end. You can keep the rest, for you know, future or something. And not mentioning that Yu would be even more proud of your deed because you are a true fan, unlike Bill Gates. IT IS STILL POSSIBLE.

sand4fish has received 2 thanks from: Elevensixty, iyapol
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:12 pm

sand4fish wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote:

Hmm you also could think of becoming an overnight multi-millionaire yourself by ways of staking your entire house and savings on low odds gambling, winning the lottery and/or playing with derivatives on the stock market, and donating about $50 million of the winnings for the cause in the end. You can keep the rest, for you know, future or something. And not mentioning that Yu would be even more proud of your deed because you are a true fan, unlike Bill Gates. IT IS STILL POSSIBLE.

YES! The lottery. Why didn't I think of that? Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep you posted!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:48 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote:Doubt anyone with Bill Gates' kind of money is going to dump $50 million into a game that's of no interest or benefit to them.

Time will tell. :mrgreen:

Let's Get Sweaty has received 2 thanks from: Jibby, Mr357
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:36 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
mjq jazz bar wrote:Doubt anyone with Bill Gates' kind of money is going to dump $50 million into a game that's of no interest or benefit to them.

Wow, that's pretty crazy. It'll be even crazier if he/she pulls it off!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby VukBZ2005 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:53 am

Even though Mr. Suzuki said those things, I wouldn't underestimate him. He gets that he has to provide an experience that'd reach what he did with Shenmue I & II realistically. Thus, he'll probably maneuver within his budget constraints to mitigate those issues he cannot resolve and creatively resolve those he can. The effect will be something different, yes. I think, though, it'll be something we'll all love.

Is this blind faith in Suzuki? I don't think so. I think what we've seen so far is reassuring. The team he's assembled have started to get a grip on the Unreal engine. We can see this in some of the characters & environment produced. With the delay, I expect that grip of theirs to strengthen. That, in turn, will lead to innovations that'll reduce or eliminate the need to spend money on developers and recordings.
VukBZ2005
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: VukBZ2005
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PS4) ;)

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:52 am

Holy crap, I've got great news. I contacted a company sometime ago and asked them for a donation and they now contacted me back saying they are closely looking into the request. Then I had a live chat with one of the guys, and it went really well. Oh damn, if it happens then WOW! It's gonna be crazy!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby sand4fish » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:17 am

Shenmue_Legend wrote: Holy crap, I've got great news. I contacted a company sometime ago and asked them for a donation and they now contacted me back saying they are closely looking into the request. Then I had a live chat with one of the guys, and it went really well. Oh damn, if it happens then WOW! It's gonna be crazy!

Great news! So you managed to talk yourself to Microsoft after all. When are you finally gonna meet Bill Gates himself? Keep us posted on the $50 mil donation!

sand4fish has received 3 thanks from: iyapol, Jibby, Truck_1_0_1_
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:29 pm

sand4fish wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote: Holy crap, I've got great news. I contacted a company sometime ago and asked them for a donation and they now contacted me back saying they are closely looking into the request. Then I had a live chat with one of the guys, and it went really well. Oh damn, if it happens then WOW! It's gonna be crazy!

Great news! So you managed to talk yourself to Microsoft after all. When are you finally gonna meet Bill Gates himself? Keep us posted on the $50 mil donation!

lol yeah, I don't mean to be a cynical SOB either, but I got the exact same vibe/thoughts in my head, after that post...
Truck_1_0_1_
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby Englishhedgehog » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:46 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:

And the award for cringiest Twitter account goes to
Englishhedgehog
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: Englishhedgehog13
Steam: Englishhedgehog13
Currently playing: Bayonetta

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:32 pm

Englishhedgehog wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote:

And the award for cringiest Twitter account goes to

Shenmue500K actually retweeted his/her tweet! And the tweet also got 3 likes so at least it's gaining traction. Now we just need to wait and see. I mean, he/she gets someone to donate $50M and I get someone to donate $50M (which is a very real possibility now) and it means they'll have over $100M! I don't know whether they would actually need all that though.
Last edited by Shenmue_Legend on Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Next

Return to Shenmue III