Will Shenmue III end on a cliffhanger?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Will Shenmue III end on a cliffhanger?

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:56 pm

This is quite an interesting topic. On one hand, it could be extremely horrible to us fans because we could be put in the same situation that we were in with Shenmue II, meaning we don't get a Shenmue IV and the painful cycle repeats again, leaving the saga without a conclusion and with yet another cliffhanger! On the other hand however, if Shenmue III ends up being a legendary 10/10 game and ends with a badass cliffhanger, then holy hell, the hype level will be higher than ever before. It'll send gamers into a frenzy and will take the series to a whole new level! So yes, two completely opposite scenarios that could unfold. With one being extremely horrible, and the other being OMG WTF type amazing (OK fine, so this would be way more impactful than the horrible side!).
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Re: Will Shenmue III end on a cliffhanger?

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:01 pm

I'll tell you next week.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Elevensixty
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:04 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: I'll tell you next week.

:shock:
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby sand4fish » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Sure. It would have to take $100M donation from Tim Cook to get the series going. Better we get started on asking him right now on his twitter.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby KidMarine » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Probably not a cliffhanger, but it'll no doubt set up the next one.

KidMarine has received a thanks from: Elevensixty
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Sappharad » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:10 pm

Yes.

How could it NOT end on a cliffhanger? The story isn't going to be finished with 3, so no matter what they do there's going to be a cliffhanger. Even if Shenmue 2 had ended after disc 3, that's still a cliffhanger because you're waiting to go to Guilin.

Sappharad has received a thanks from: Elevensixty
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby elfshadowreaper » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:51 am

The question is how long will it be until Shenmue 4 is released?

elfshadowreaper has received a thanks from: Elevensixty
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueMue » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:07 am

I doubt it will be as dramatic as Shenmue II. It would give us all nightmares of waiting endless years all over again.
Maybe a little bit more open than the end of Shenmue, wich was an ideal chapter closure.
I'd the way it's designed ultimately depends on how sure they are about making Shenmue IV and how to tackle the financing for that.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Elevensixty
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:11 am

BlueMue wrote: I doubt it will be as dramatic as Shenmue II. It would give us all nightmares of waiting endless years all over again.
Maybe a little bit more open than the end of Shenmue, wich was an ideal chapter closure.
I'd the way it's designed ultimately depends on how sure they are about making Shenmue IV and how to tackle the financing for that.

True. I've detailed the two possibilities. One being disastrous and the other being legendary!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby nskachu » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:32 pm

What if even Shenmue 6 ends with a cliffhanger?

nskachu has received a thanks from: OL
nskachu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with feelings

Postby Master Mo » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:06 pm

I think there is no issue in having a cliffhanger if the game surely gets a conclusion with Shenmue IV because I think regardless of the reception of SIII the game will get funded again via kickstarter if they choose to.

The money they need is provided by die hard fans. Those people who donated in that first day weren`t persuaded by that video at the Sony conference. They knew if they get the chance to help get SIII made they would jump on board.

Right now I donated money to this kickstarter without knowing what the final product will be. If they get to make SIV we all have seen the tech and mechanics they will use and a kickstarter would actually be a glorified preorder event.

I personally really like how both games ended. But I think with SII Suzuki-San deliberately did that ending because the departure to Guilin after the Yellow-Head-Scene would have been a very similar ending to what we had in SI. I actually liked it that way because the mystery of Shenhua and Guilin is imo one of the pieces that kept Shenmue alive. But as I said it probably won`t need that again.
Master Mo
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Mr. Frozen » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:16 pm

I am more concerned about the magic in Shenmue 3. Shenmue 2 ended with some magical and mystical bullshit, which was quite jarring considering the game was fairly realistic up tot hat point. I hope Ryo isn't regularly firing off haudokens and summoning demos by the end of Shenmue 3.
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:28 pm

Mr. Frozen wrote: I am more concerned about the magic in Shenmue 3. Shenmue 2 ended with some magical and mystical bullshit, which was quite jarring considering the game was fairly realistic up tot hat point. I hope Ryo isn't regularly firing off haudokens and summoning demos by the end of Shenmue 3.

See, I don't get this. Why are fans so hell bent on having realism in Shenmue? Magic is only going to make it more interesting and intriguing. I mean, "realism" is boring. I want Shenmue to become even more awesome and legendary but for this to happen, it must go above and beyond normal things.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby LeeringShrimp » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:16 pm

See, I DO think this one will end on a cliffhanger...and I think that's a bad thing for us. I really want a good ending to the Shenmue story. Ideally I would prefer a great series where a new game is released every few years, but I doubt we'll get that with Shenmue III. From what I've seen of game footage of the unfinished product, my feeling is that the users on this site will love this game, but yet again it won't do well enough commercially to convince a big publisher to buy it. Just my two cents.
LeeringShrimp

PSN: LeeringShrimp
XBL: LeeringShrimp
Steam: LeeringShrimp
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Mass Effect: Andromeda

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:29 pm

^A big publisher owns Shenmue and they haven't been willing to fund a sequel to S2 for sixteen years. Still, I doubt they will ever be willing to sell off the IP to another big publisher. The only thing they might do is license Shenmue out to companies who are interested in it. Which is why and how we had a Kickstarter and now a small publisher (Deep Silver) picked up S3.

Deep Silver make around 100 million Dollars of revenue per year, which is of course nothing compared to the 1.8 billion dollars Sega make. https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/library/pdf/printing_annual/2017/2017ar_7_e_.pdf (see page 61 for the numbers).

If you want S4 to be backed by a big publisher you should hope for S3 to do well enough to convince Sega's accountants. If it will do good enough for big publishers to pick it up, Sega will do S4 themselves.

Otherwise Yu will have to strike a licensing deal with Sega again for S4, so let's hope that if S3 doesn't do well enough for Sega, it will at least do well enough for Deep Silver to be willing to fund S4. With a hundred million dollars of revenue they're not exactly a big company in this industry but still, it's a lot better than some little indie company.

And with the foundation of S3 already standing, S4 might even be cheaper to make than S3. Who knows?

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to Shenmue III