The Shenmue 3 Effect: What could go wrong or right

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

The Shenmue 3 Effect: What could go wrong or right

Postby sutoji » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:58 pm

Say whatever you want about wikipedia but
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... d_the_best

Shenmue 3 needs to do what Shenmue 1 did: Be Remembered

Looking at recent anticipated titles that have failed has made me curious about the potential situation this game could end up in. Massive hype, knowing only little about whats going on in development and that isint to say that it is not going well. What the main focus of this thread is that this game needs to have an impact on society. Many people are fascinated by the two Shenmue games and it has created a community of people that endorse the aspects of the game into the lives. It's an experience that they will remember for their entire lives.

Where Shenmue 3 is concerned is it's final blow when the game is finally released and everybody (Shenmue fans, outsiders) will finally get a grasp of the game, the Internet grabs a hold of everything about the game the very minute its released. That's the world we live in. Everyone will know what Shenmue 3 really is and is not. This game has to be something special and not looked down upon. If that is the case it will be very destructive towards the series and that reputation for the first two games? will be hindered so badly there will be no point associating yourself with them because of the shame Shenmue 3 may have brought.

Remember Mass Effect Andromeda? No Mans Sky? Yooka Laylee? OF COURSE you do but for at least 50% of a good reason? Doubtful. They are probably looked down upon as a gamer. All these games had an effect when they were being made and when they released. Shenmue 3 could either be the polar opposite or be put into them. Is that entirely down to my own personal opinion? not really. Shenmue 1 and 2 are not exactly prime material, they have their share of flaws and I'm also 100% a HD remake would do at least some harm to the games repetation. They would simply not get the same critical acclaim of course however the two dreamcast titles are heavily remembered fondly for the past mindblowing they did when released. That is truth that cant be changed. So when "Shenmue" is brought up its a good videogame isint it?
due to the fact it was a technical masterpiece which Shenmue 3 cant exactly repeat but can at least bring innovate ideas and some appeal for a strong story.

Despite whatever the outcome of Shenmue 3 be in the end it's being watched closely by the entire human race. There's gonna be goons that are going to like it and goons that are gonna bash it and people that arent even aware the hell it is and still have their personal take on it. It's all down to people's own personal likings but this effect that it has on people at the end is damn important. It stays there, becomes history and in the end changes society. Bring out the name Shenmue 3 and then they remember what the hell it is.
sutoji
Banned
Banned

Re: The Shenmue 3 Effect: What could go wrong or right

Postby punkmanced » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:27 am

Well, I certainly don’t need google translate to make the following assertion:
Shenmue 3 isn’t going to change society.

It is, however, going to be an awesome niche game that this community will love exploring/ picking apart.

…I just hope that the game attracts enough of an outside audience to secure a 4th installment in the series.

punkmanced has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby shredingskin » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:37 pm

If Shenmue III comes actually good (not looking like a half baked indie game, that is, not even trying to compare to AAA games), it has a good chance of succeeding.

There is a great market in ps4 and pc that even niche games can be very profitable, and in the "Shenmue niche" there's nothing right now or in store (maybe yakuza, and the last one was deadly premonition).

We just have to wait.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby King John Blaze » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:53 pm

I don't have my hopes set high for this game and just want the series to end. It's been too long.

I can't be bothered for Shenmue 3 to be released and then the stupid wait for the next game, or even worst, the whole series gets cancelled again when sales turn out not to be that great.

I love Shenmue but will be more heartbroken with this game releasing then not getting a fourth than not getting this game at all.
King John Blaze
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:03 pm

If they had all the funding that they needed to revolutionise and innovate once again, then Shenmue III would easily get 10/10s on many sites, just like The Last Of Us. But then again, critics and modern gamers nowadays have terrible taste and love any old crap (COD games still getting great reviews is the perfect example of this) but when it comes to the good stuff, they don't recognise it because they've been brainwashed by all the bad stuff. Only true gamers really appreciate masterpieces like Shenmue. I guess we'll have to wait and see but in terms of the experience and quality, Shenmue III is going to be absolutely top notch just like Shenmue I and II.

Shenmue_Legend has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:08 pm

King John Blaze wrote: I don't have my hopes set high for this game and just want the series to end. It's been too long.

I can't be bothered for Shenmue 3 to be released and then the stupid wait for the next game, or even worst, the whole series gets cancelled again when sales turn out not to be that great.

I love Shenmue but will be more heartbroken with this game releasing then not getting a fourth than not getting this game at all.

If Shenmue III ends on a cliffhanger and the series is cancelled again, that will absolutely devastate and mentally break me. I'll never be the same again! I'm almost certain that this isn't going to happen though because Shenmue III WILL succeed.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby King John Blaze » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:02 am

The main reason I want the series to end with Shenmue 3 is because of the following -

The original game was released on the Dreamcast. Great console but didn't have the widest audience so many people frankly don't know about Shenmue. In addition to this, they are releasing the third installment 17 years after the second game was released. Some people who weren't born back then are now having children of their own to give you an idea of how long it has been. In other words, not many people know about this and unfortunately it's not the AAA development it once was way back when. All this leads to what I suspect will be mediocre sales. Hopefully this will be mitigated by the lower development cost but there is a half decent chance that sales won't be great and the series once again cancelled.
King John Blaze
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:38 am

King John Blaze wrote: The main reason I want the series to end with Shenmue 3 is because of the following -

The original game was released on the Dreamcast. Great console but didn't have the widest audience so many people frankly don't know about Shenmue. In addition to this, they are releasing the third installment 17 years after the second game was released. Some people who weren't born back then are now having children of their own to give you an idea of how long it has been. In other words, not many people know about this and unfortunately it's not the AAA development it once was way back when. All this leads to what I suspect will be mediocre sales. Hopefully this will be mitigated by the lower development cost but there is a half decent chance that sales won't be great and the series once again cancelled.

Nah, 3 games is way too less. I don't want to miss anything that Ryo goes through just to see a rushed ending. And besides, it's not just about the story it's about the whole experience. I want to experience everything and do not want any parts left out. It should go up to at least 5 games.

Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:08 pm

shredingskin wrote: If Shenmue III comes actually good (not looking like a half baked indie game, that is, not even trying to compare to AAA games), it has a good chance of succeeding.

There is a great market in ps4 and pc that even niche games can be very profitable, and in the "Shenmue niche" there's nothing right now or in store (maybe yakuza, and the last one was deadly premonition).

We just have to wait.

My thoughts, almost exactly. You know, I think the "only" things Yu needs to make sure for S3 are three things:

1) S 3 needs to be a smooth and bug-free experience. Don't deliver the game in an unfinshed or broken state. Don't rely on patches or any shit like that. I know that's a lot to ask from an indie game (or any game, really) but this is absolutely crucial. The physical version they put out needs to be strictly on point.

2) The fighting system needs to be great and it needs to stand out. This will be S 3's bread & butter business. Shenmue has been a martial arts-themed series from the very beginning and that's Shenmue's chance to shine, given the fact that there are not many games with good hand-to-hand combat as most games rely on shooting combat.

QTE battles may be thrown in there to spice up the action sometimes, and nobody does them as good as Yu imho, but the Free Battle System is where it counts. It needs to be really good. And I mean at least Yakuza 0 good, preferably better than that.

3) The game needs to look ok graphics-wise. Nobody expects anything like Uncharted 4 but they can't fuck up the facial expressions or put out anything that looks like a PS2 game.

If they get these three points right, S3 will have a lot going for itself as a game. It will have some fantastic characters such as Ren, Shenhua, Lan Di, Niao Sun, Chai and many more. It will have a fantastic soundtrack. The story will be very intriguing, seeing all those interesting characters intertwined with Ryo & Shenhua, the mirrors and Iwao's death. Plus it's also go its setting against the backdrop of the Guilin region, one of the most beautiful places of the entire planet earth.

Taking all that into account, S3 has a reasonable chance of being at least successsful enough to make Deep Silver or even Sega cough up the money for a fourth (and probably final) game.

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:09 pm

Hyo Razuki wrote:
shredingskin wrote: If Shenmue III comes actually good (not looking like a half baked indie game, that is, not even trying to compare to AAA games), it has a good chance of succeeding.

We just have to wait.

My thoughts, almost exactly. You know, I think the "only" things Yu needs to make sure for S3 are three things:

1) S 3 needs to be a smooth and bug-free experience. Don't deliver the game in an unfinshed or broken state. Don't rely on patches or any shit like that. I know that's a lot to ask from an indie game (or any game, really) but this is absolutely crucial. The physical version they put out needs to be strictly on point.

2) The fighting system needs to be great and it needs to stand out. This will be S 3's bread & butter business. Shenmue has been a martial arts-themed series from the very beginning and that's Shenmue's chance to shine, given the fact that there are not many games with good hand-to-hand combat as most games rely on shooting combat.

QTE battles may be thrown in there to spice up the action sometimes, and nobody does them as good as Yu imho, but the Free Battle System is where it counts. It needs to be really good. And I mean at least Yakuza 0 good, preferably better than that.

3) The game needs to look ok graphics-wise. Nobody expects anything like Uncharted 4 but they can't fuck up the facial expressions or put out anything that looks like a PS2 game.

If they get these three points right, S3 will have a lot going for itself as a game. It will have some fantastic characters such as Ren, Shenhua, Lan Di, Niao Sun, Chai and many more. It will have a fantastic soundtrack. The story will be very intriguing, seeing all those interesting characters intertwined with Ryo & Shenhua, the mirrors and Iwao's death. Plus it's also go its setting against the backdrop of the Guilin region, one of the most beautiful places of the entire planet earth.

Taking all that into account, S3 has a reasonable chance of being at least successsful enough to make Deep Silver or even Sega cough up the money for a fourth (and probably final) game.

Ok first of all, Shenmue I and II already have one of the best combat systems out of any game ever (not just within its genre, where it is unquestionably the best). I mean unless they make the combat worse somehow in Shenmue III (not likely at all, considering this is Yu Suzuki we're talking about so he'll make sure it's better), then it's already guaranteed to be way better than the Yakuza games. Secondly, there's absolutely no way that Suzuki-san will release Shenmue III with it looking like a "PS2 game" and having bad facial expressions. I mean come on. These guys are professionals and with Yu Suzuki in charge, he will make sure the final product is something that he's happy with and what everyone else will be happy with too. Lastly, 4 games is also too less. I don't think you can say "probably final" considering that we haven't played Shenmue III yet so we won't know until the conclusion of it.

Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:08 am

Totally agree with you. If S3's combat system will end up being anywhere near as good as S1's and S2's, we're definitely on the right track. However, I want S3 to raise the bar for hand-to-hand combat in adventure games once again, like S1 and 2 did back in the late 90's/early 2000s. And I know Yu Suzuki is the right guy to do this.

I also don't think Yu would ever release a game looking like the Gamescom 2017 teaser. I'm not worried about that point.

About the future of the series, Yu said he wants to make four or five Shenmue games. I guess it depends on the level of success S3 will enjoy. If S3 will not be successful, we'll basically be screwed again and we'll need yet another Kickstarter or some other miracle to revive the series once more. If S3 ends up being reasonably successful, Yu will finish the saga with the fourth game to give Shenmue a dignified ending as a series and to give the fans closure. If S3 will turn out to be a big success, Yu will go on to make five or even six games.

Personally, I'd be happy with the story being concluded by either the fourth or the fifth game. In fact, I'm grateful we're getting number 3 at all. It's too early to talk about S4 or 5 now. Once S4 is announced, we may start to think about whether it will conclude the story or not.

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:56 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: Totally agree with you. If S3's combat system will end up being anywhere near as good as S1's and S2's, we're definitely on the right track. However, I want S3 to raise the bar for hand-to-hand combat in adventure games once again, like S1 and 2 did back in the late 90's/early 2000s. And I know Yu Suzuki is the right guy to do this.

I also don't think Yu would ever release a game looking like the Gamescom 2017 teaser. I'm not worried about that point.

About the future of the series, Yu said he wants to make four or five Shenmue games. I guess it depends on the level of success S3 will enjoy. If S3 will not be successful, we'll basically be screwed again and we'll need yet another Kickstarter or some other miracle to revive the series once more. If S3 ends up being reasonably successful, Yu will finish the saga with the fourth game to give Shenmue a dignified ending as a series and to give the fans closure. If S3 will turn out to be a big success, Yu will go on to make five or even six games.

Personally, I'd be happy with the story being concluded by either the fourth or the fifth game. In fact, I'm grateful we're getting number 3 at all. It's too early to talk about S4 or 5 now. Once S4 is announced, we may start to think about whether it will conclude the story or not.

I absolutely agree with everything you said, especially about making another revolutionary combat system that will go above and beyond even the first two installments. That would be totally amazing and with Yu Suzuki, it is definetly possible and is probably what will most likely happen. Can't wait for Shenmue III! Kinda off-topic, but when I'm finally holding a copy of Shenmue III in my hands, I'm going to have SERIOUS goosebumps and when I boot it up and hear the iconic menu theme, I'll be in tears! That will be a day to be remembered forever. Wow, it'll be interesting to see how I react :D
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:23 pm

The game is being made by a guy who hasn’t released a game not on a mobile phone since 2001. I’ve always found it strange that Yu has always said he pretty much doesn’t touch any video games so how much understanding does he have of modern games and their mechanics? Reading his interviews the guy has always seemed to live in a bit of a bubble from the rest of the industry. I hope Yu does some proper research on current games and learns from them otherwise this could end bad. Fans may still think Shenmue is the best thing ever but things in the Shenmue series have been improved by others since 2001.

Outside of that the game will at best get a mixed reception. The Shenmue series has always been a love or hate thing and isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, people need to prepare themselves for people really not liking it. Although I still can’t wait for the review thread here and watching everyone cry when someone dislikes the game.

Riku Rose has received 2 thanks from: OL, SickOctopus
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:34 pm

Riku Rose wrote: The game is being made by a guy who hasn’t released a game not on a mobile phone since 2001. I’ve always found it strange that Yu has always said he pretty much doesn’t touch any video games so how much understanding does he have of modern games and their mechanics? Reading his interviews the guy has always seemed to live in a bit of a bubble from the rest of the industry. I hope Yu does some proper research on current games and learns from them otherwise this could end bad. Fans may still think Shenmue is the best thing ever but things in the Shenmue series have been improved by others since 2001.

Outside of that the game will at best get a mixed reception. The Shenmue series has always been a love or hate thing and isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, people need to prepare themselves for people really not liking it. Although I still can’t wait for the review thread here and watching everyone cry when someone dislikes the game.

"Learn" from current games? Absolutely no way. Most of today's games are garbage and lack innovation. If he wants to learn how to make generic and crappy games like the COD and GTA of gaming, then go right ahead. But if he wants to stick to making revolutionary and special games that stand out from others, then he should keep doing what he's doing. I like that Yu Suzuki doesn't play other games, it's absolutely for the best if he doesn't want his vision and creativity to be altered. The only thing that has been improved from Shenmue ever since is the graphics. Everything else from the detailed open worlds, characters, story, gameplay, music etc. is unrivalled.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby sand4fish » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:15 pm

^ Troll or not, views like the one above is what alienate gamers outside the Shenmue fanbase. Games nowadays have been better than ever. Advances in technology allow so much complexity and depth in gameplay on modern games that if all future Shenmue titles will do is update its graphics, then the series will surely be bound to be just one of those indie projects that all that is aiming to do is capture the feeling of the past gaming eras.

QTEs are so obsolete by now as cinematic action moments can be done in gaming without them (see the Uncharted series) and fighting in 3D space has gone such a long way since Shenmue (see For Honor). It would be such a downgrade in vision by Yu Suzuki, a designer known to always innovate with each creation, to just follow the old mechanics of the previous titles to a tee.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to Shenmue III