Swearing in Shenmue III?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Swearing in Shenmue III?

Postby life_247 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:10 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: Doesn't Ren swear from time to time in the Japanese DC version of S2? Also Yuan's gender was changed in the Europaean DC version and the Xbox versions. I remember reading about Ren talking about Yuan saying something like "Talks like a woman, dresses like a woman, has a dick." in the Japanese DC version. Don't speak Japanese though, so I can't check if it's true.

I would like a little bit of swearing[ during fight scenes for instance. But don't let it get to Yakuza levels. More like S1 level would be ok.

Your correct about Yuan swapping gender (at least to the extent that s/he uses male ponouns in the japanese but female ones in the english dub) - although you could consider her trans in the english version (the voice actor does) its not really any part of the story. http://shenmue.wikia.com/wiki/Yuan#Gender_status

If anything with the current socio-politcal climate lets keep Ren's comments to a minimum on that (although the game is set in the 80s but its not really the press coverage the game would need).

I think some of the grittier characters could use a little blue language to keep it real, but I feel its an all or nothing approach. Either they use some strong language or none at all - a half way house of "damn" etc. feels so forced. (says a man who swears like a sailor in real life)
life_247
Master of the Three Blades

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:13 am

I know a guy that says "flippin eck!" The halfway housers actually do exist.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby alexh86 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:27 pm

I think it will be about the same level of language. It obviously presents a stylized version of the criminal underworld rather than a realistic picture in the first two games and I would not expect that to change.
alexh86

PSN: ahark86
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Abraham_1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:17 pm

life_247 wrote: If anything with the current socio-politcal climate lets keep Ren's comments to a minimum on that (although the game is set in the 80s but its not really the press coverage the game would need).

I doubt we will see Yuan return, so don't think that will happen anyway. And besides, most people don't care about stuff like that anyway; the ones who do are a vocal minority.

life_247 wrote: I think some of the grittier characters could use a little blue language to keep it real, but I feel its an all or nothing approach. Either they use some strong language or none at all - a half way house of "damn" etc. feels so forced. (says a man who swears like a sailor in real life)

In addition to 'flipping heck', which MiTT3NZ referred to, Shenmue II clearly uses words like ''damn'' in the place of what could be actual swears. But then again, ''damn'' can also be used realistically; I say it from time to time.

Speaking of sailors, remember that one guy dressed in green who would stroll round the harbour? He lived up to the stereotype; I remember him saying ''shit'' in basically every sentence.

But Shenmue I's swearing is weirdly inconsistent. On the one hand you have guys like that, then you have these biker punks in Dobuita who say ''kiss off'' and ''punk ass''. Like, the game is blatantly replacing ''piss off'' with ''kiss off'' (seriously who says that), even though ''piss off'' is used at another point in the game. This doesn't make sense; if they wanted to say ''kiss off'' or ''punk ass'' to prevent the game from having a higher rating, then how are they ok with the other swears throughout the game? Maybe multiple translators?
Abraham_1
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: THEBIGFATDUDE
Nintendo FC: abraham_b123
Steam: Abraham_B
Currently playing: Danganronpa V3

Postby Mr.Jigen » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:43 pm

Abraham_1 wrote:
BlueMue wrote: It should have some. It doesn't need any f-bombs but the occasional outburst of medium swear words just makes the dialogues feel more natural.

Yeah agreed. Hearing someone drop the f-bomb in a Shenmue game would be like including guns and drugs in the game; it's out of place in a Shenmue game. If I'm also not mistaken, Shenmue is based off Chinese cinema and most Chinese martial arts films dubbed or subbed in English don't have swears so that may be another reason why Yu Suzuki hasn't included many swears.

I don't think someone saying 'fuck' in Shenmue is a big deal it's not some massive game play shift or anything, it's just a word. Besides Shenmue already mentions the drug trade which the Chiyoumen are involved in.
Mr.Jigen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: Onettown
Nintendo FC: Joeython
Steam: ThatOneGuyWhoPlaysGa
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Abraham_1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 pm

Mr.Jigen wrote: I don't think someone saying 'fuck' in Shenmue is a big deal it's not some massive game play shift or anything, it's just a word. Besides Shenmue already mentions the drug trade which the Chiyoumen are involved in.

Idk it feels out of place in Shenmue. But is it a big deal; probably not haha. Just thought swearing in Shenmue is an interesting topic since some people miss how Shenmue I has swears but Shenmue II purposefully doesn't.
Abraham_1
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: THEBIGFATDUDE
Nintendo FC: abraham_b123
Steam: Abraham_B
Currently playing: Danganronpa V3

Previous

Return to Shenmue III