Shenmue 3's overall reception

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Shenmue 3's metacritic (Total votes: 31)

100 absolute masterpiece
6%
90+
13%
80+
19%
70+
32%
60+
16%
50+
6%
Below 50
6%

Shenmue 3's overall reception

Postby south carmain » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:50 am

Just for fun I want to know how well you guys think shenmue 3 will be received. The poll options are based on Metacritic but if you want to give your opinion on particuliar sites feel free to write them as a comment.
Last edited by south carmain on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

south carmain has received a thanks from: sutoji
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Re: Shenmue 3's overall reception

Postby ShenGCH » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:33 am

It's impossible to say what with the fact we've not seen any gameplay whatsoever, but, from what we have seen in screenshots and trailers, I predict the game will sit quite comfortably in the 74-78 range on Metacritic. The more incompetent and/or bitter critics out there will take digs at the game simply because it's Shenmue and its gameplay systems differ so heavily compared to what is expected of contemporary open-world games, but hopefully, just hopefully, the more level-headed will be able to appreciate the game in regards to how it is able to stand on its own two feet where combat, the story, and the world are concerned. A true successor to the legacy.

Steam reviews, I predict, will be in the 'Very positive' bracket.

Then again, the game might turn out to be complete and utter shit, in which case it deserves to be kicked and dragged through the mud, as does any bad game.

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: south carmain
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby sutoji » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:47 am

I predict a 78% from Metacritic or around that range as well as a 7/10 from IGN simply because the Shenmue aesthetics of waiting around and part time jobs (if prevalant) will get criticised negatively but a lot of praise may arrive for story and environments just like the previous games. To get a score like 8/10 or higher is just unrealistic for Shenmue 3 since people will keep in mind it is a kickstarter (I'm not saying that they are always low scored) and the budget is not very high resulting in possible backdraws when compared to the typical 9/10 game that has a lot of money put into it. It will be very fun to see review threads here and all the opinions on the internet about the game when it arrives!

sutoji has received a thanks from: south carmain
sutoji
Banned
Banned

Postby south carmain » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:24 am

Although I do think there is a very real threat of its score being affected due to bias related to it being a kickstarter game as well as being surrounded by a lot of controversy, I hope that people will be able to appreciate its uniqueness and put it in the 85 range like Yakuza 0.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:57 am

I put it at 80+ because that's around what the first two games got, so that's what I'd expect really. The game isn't for everyone and a lot of people find it boring. But most of the people who will play it will probably have played the first game. Is that stupid logic?

I agree with ShenGCH on the steam reviews, very positive.

BlueCreeperBoy12 has received a thanks from: south carmain
BlueCreeperBoy12
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby nskachu » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:06 am

100% masterpiece. I expect nothing less from Yu Suzuki.
nskachu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with feelings

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:09 am

nskachu wrote: 100% masterpiece. I expect nothing less from Yu Suzuki.

Yep.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby sutoji » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:38 am

nskachu wrote: 100% masterpiece. I expect nothing less from Yu Suzuki.

Whilst we in our minds can think this the reality is that there is going to be bashing from other gaming reviewers and the general press bear in mind this thread is about the overall reception of the game, it may get hate from people because that's the harsh reality of games that aren't triple AAA and in Shenmue 3's case it's not AAA like the beautiful Shenmue 1 and 2. Take a look at the Gamescom 2017 Shenmue 3 trailer, so many articles were posted online that sparked hate yet the trailer had 10:3 like to dislike ratio so who knows. I expect something more than average from Yu Suzuki for Shenmue 3 (judging by what I've seen and know about Shenmue 3) but yes, Yu Suzuki is a legend, people can search him on google and learn that now.
sutoji
Banned
Banned

Postby Abraham_1 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:11 am

I voted 70+...playing it safe I guess. Ofc I'm hyped for the game; however, I do not want my expectations to be too high to the point where I may become disappointed. I have no doubt that the game has the potential to be fantastic (80 or 90+) but keeping my expectations low will only make me even happier if the game is that good. Not to mention, based on what we've seen so far, there is no good indication of how good the game will be; we need to see gameplay to be more certain. There's a long road ahead and our perceptions of how the game will turn out will constantly be changing next year.
Abraham_1
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: THEBIGFATDUDE
Nintendo FC: abraham_b123
Steam: Abraham_B
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Danganronpa V3

Postby Rikitatsu » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:12 am

70s.

80's if we're lucky.

Highly unlikely it will ever reach the 90s, the previous games sure didn't. And they had the "WOW" factor that Shenmue 3 won't have.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:16 am

Rikitatsu wrote: 70s.

80's if we're lucky.

Highly unlikely it will ever reach the 90s, the previous games sure didn't. And they had the "WOW" factor that Shenmue 3 won't have.

How do you know Shenmue III "won't have" the "WOW" factor? It's not even released yet. I bet it surprises everyone.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Abraham_1 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:21 am

sutoji wrote: To get a score like 8/10 or higher is just unrealistic for Shenmue 3 since people will keep in mind it is a kickstarter (I'm not saying that they are always low scored) and the budget is not very high resulting in possible backdraws when compared to the typical 9/10 game that has a lot of money put into it.

That does worry me a little; the majority of Kickstarter games that do review very well, such as Shovel Knight, are very simple and have low budgets.

However, I really don't think there are many good comparisons to be made with Shenmue 3 since it honestly seems to be the most ambitious Kickstarter game and is therefore setting a precedent in some ways. I feel that it is aiming to be an indie game with Triple A vibes, like Hellblade or We Happy Few. Those would probably be the best comparisons.
Abraham_1
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: THEBIGFATDUDE
Nintendo FC: abraham_b123
Steam: Abraham_B
Currently playing: Danganronpa V3

Postby gillian_seed » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:47 am

I'm pretty sure that Shenmue 3 will score really low. No matter if it's a good or a bad game, it will always score lower than it deserves due to the general enragement towards crowdfunded games and the current clickbait trend on gaming media community. It's not what I wish, but the earlier we face reality, the better.
gillian_seed
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami

Postby sand4fish » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:50 am

Abraham_1 wrote:That does worry me a little; the majority of Kickstarter games that do review very well, such as Shovel Knight, are very simple and have low budgets.

However, I really don't think there are many good comparisons to be made with Shenmue 3 since it honestly seems to be the most ambitious Kickstarter game and is therefore setting a precedent in some ways. I feel that it is aiming to be an indie game with Triple A vibes, like Hellblade or We Happy Few. Those would probably be the best comparisons.

Shenmue 3 is definitely not the most ambitious. There are others with even a grander scope and way less of the budget Shenmue 3 has, like Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Other already released Kickstarter games even moved their respective genres forward with a varying degree of success like Divinity Original Sin I & II (highly successful) and Planetary Annihilation (unsuccessful).

By the way both Divinity Original Sin games are not even close to Shovel Knight type of games and still were highly praised.

gillian_seed wrote: I'm pretty sure that Shenmue 3 will score really low. No matter if it's a good or a bad game, it will always score lower than it deserves due to the general enragement towards crowdfunded games and the current clickbait trend on gaming media community. It's not what I wish, but the earlier we face reality, the better.

Check out the aforementioned Divinity series. Two Kickstarter campaigns, and both games are critically and commercially successful.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby KidMarine » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:21 pm

In the 70s. Same as every game that doesn't have a $100 million ad campaign behind it/the reviewer isn't personal friends with the developers. Take some points off for being Japanese too.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Next

Return to Shenmue III