Update #77: New Character & Lakshya Digital

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Update #77: New Character & Lakshya Digital

Postby Switch » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:32 pm

For anyone having trouble locating Ryo...

Kickstarter #77 Commentary

Switch has received a thanks from: Esppiral
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:28 pm

Switch wrote: For anyone having trouble locating Ryo...

Turns out I couldn't see it because the picture I was viewing was 1024x576. fml
BlueCreeperBoy12
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Toua77 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:40 am

If its only character models I don't have a problem with that being outsourced. The main guys can touch what they need up where they have to.

My problem is the combat being changed. The VF code isn't even being used. But that's another topic. :mad:
Toua77
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Esppiral » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:06 am

Switch wrote: For anyone having trouble locating Ryo...

Ah I can see it now, he is in T-pose
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:27 pm

Looks ike Lashya know what they're doing. Now let's hope this will also help YS Net to be able to release the game in 2018.

I think releasing S3 later than 2018 might not be a good decision. We can probably expect the PS5 to come out around 2020 and with the PS5 on the horizon or even out by then, a lot of people won't be interested in PS4 games anymore.

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby JohnBlack » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:10 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: Looks ike Lashya know what they're doing. Now let's hope this will also help YS Net to be able to release the game in 2018.

I think releasing S3 later than 2018 might not be a good decision. We can probably expect the PS5 to come out around 2020 and with the PS5 on the horizon or even out by then, a lot of people won't be interested in PS4 games anymore.

A lot of good games comes at the end of generation: PS4 was released in 2013, the same year PS3 got: GTA V and The Last of Us.
JohnBlack

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby qwerty3w » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:48 pm

O Rei do Frango Assado wrote:
I was just thinking, she could indeed be Japanese. Not only that, but what if that's actually a Shinto shrine? It doesn't look like one, but many mosques in China, for instance, have Chinese traditional architecture and don't really stand out from any other traditional-style constructions, until you go inside and see all the Islamic art, Arabic writing and prayer halls.
The thing is, there has been a sizeable Islamic community in China for hundreds of years (most notably, the Hui and, more recently, the Uyghurs), but I've never heard of Japanese people in China (that do exist, obviously) feeling the need for Shinto shrines. Shintoism is uniquely Japanese and doesn't really exist anywhere else, as far as I know, so the only people who would feel the need for a Shinto shrine would be the Japanese.
Now, I've travelled a lot around China, from the biggest cities to the most remote places and never have I've seen a Shinto shrine there. I just did a quick (definitely not thorough) Baidu search and, apparently, the only Shinto shrines built in China were built during the Japanese occupation, during the Second World War. Pretty much all of them (or even all of them) have been demolished or converted into something else. It goes without saying that such shrines didn't exactly bring happy memories to the Chinese.The area around Guilin was indeed occupied by the Japanese, but I don't really see a fully-functioning, happy-feeling Shinto shrine existing there in 1987.
So, when all's said and done, I doubt that's a Shinto shrine, but who knows? It's a videogame, liberties are always taken.

As for that sign being done for localization purposes, that's always a possibility, but I think it's unlikely. I mean, Shenmue 1 and 2 did have some English signage, because there is English signage in Japan, what with English being today's "international language", plus, it gives out an exotic, hip feel to things (for the Japanese). Still, most things in the game are written in Japanese, just like real Japanese streets. As for Hong Kong in Shenmue 2, the presence of English writing is only natural, what with it being a British colony.
Again, I just feel that they are being careless, unfortunately. I mean, there really was no reason for them to use Japanese kanji variants in Hong Kong street signs, yet they were there.
I've said this before, in a game famous for its attention to detail, this kind of stuff becomes immersion-breaking, not to mention that it's very odd that they got careless in such a visible aspect of the game, when, for instance, they actually went to the trouble of getting real-world weather data for Yokosuka, among other things.
Anyway, let's wait and see. It's too early to jump into conclusions regarding Shenmue 3.

I don't think the series was ever meant to be immersive outside of Japan. It's very difficult to get unfamiliar foreign cultures right, and the main audience (Japanese and Western gamers) won't care about it anyway, so Shenmue mostly went with stereotypes and exoticism for Chinese and Hong Kong elements, probably largely based on the local Chinatowns much like the Hollywood movies.

qwerty3w has received a thanks from: punkmanced
qwerty3w
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby O Rei do Frango Assado » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:04 pm

qwerty3w wrote:I don't think the series was ever meant to be immersive outside of Japan. It's very difficult to get unfamiliar foreign cultures right, and the main audience (Japanese and Western gamers) won't care about it anyway, so Shenmue mostly went with stereotypes and exoticism for Chinese and Hong Kong elements, probably largely based on the local Chinatowns much like the Hollywood movies.

You know, I'd never really thought about that, but, now that you mention it, you're exactly right.
Shenmue 1, which is pretty much a huge prologue, is the "hometown" part of the story, where everything is "normal" and where they went crazy with the authenticity and attention to detail. But, as soon as Ryo arrives in Hong Kong, then the "mystical, exotic, kung-fu land adventure" begins, where authenticity isn't really the point anymore, which is kind of a shame (even though, in spite of that, Shenmue 2 still managed to be even better than 1).
O Rei do Frango Assado

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby WildManofBorneo » Sun May 20, 2018 7:54 am

It appears that Lakshya Digital has a local Tokyo office. This should help the development of Shenmue run more seamlessly.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/features ... ul-1725786
WildManofBorneo

Previous

Return to Shenmue III