worries about the physical edition of shenmue 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: worries about the physical edition of shenmue 3

Postby south carmain » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:28 am

Centrale wrote: There's a setting in your preferences to turn off all signatures. Unfortunately it hides the tasteful, well-designed signatures as well as the annoying ones. Fortunately no one on here has a tasteful, well-designed signature, so I'm missing nothing. :D (ducks)

how dare you!

south carmain has received a thanks from: Centrale
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby alexh86 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:03 pm

I've wondered how the rollout would be handled as well. Hopefully KS backers and Slacker Backers will have their rewards shipped first before anything is available in stores or on the digital stores. Even then, there is a concern that digital purchasers might get the game on the same day the physical rewards are put in the mail which means an agonizing wait for some and a need to quit the Internet completely to avoid spoilers.

If everything is done the same day (retail release, digital release, KS rewards put in mail), I'd go to the store and buy another PS4 copy. I don't buy digital games if there's a physical version available and there's no way I'm not playing this game the very first day I possibly can.
alexh86
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: ahark86
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Hyo Razuki » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:34 pm

Then again, this is still kind of a non-issue, tbh. If you've preordered physical already, you can preorder digital on http://www.shenmue.link on top of your physical copy right now. And yes, you do have the extra 30 bucks to preorder the digital version.

And if you're really that much against buying digital games, there will be a physical retail version so you can always preorder it at your local shop.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby gillian_seed » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:45 pm

It's a good idea to buy another digital copy, just in case. Then you make sure that you will play the game as soon as it's released. For me, It would be really frustrating that people who haven't backed the project from the early begining get the game earlier.
gillian_seed
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:49 pm

I’ve seen many Kickstarters where the physical copies have not be sent for weeks and sometimes months after they’re in stores. Based on Awesome Japan’s track record I don’t see this being any different, hope they prove me wrong.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Sappharad » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:19 am

Riku Rose wrote: I’ve seen many Kickstarters where the physical copies have not be sent for weeks and sometimes months after they’re in stores. Based on Awesome Japan’s track record I don’t see this being any different, hope they prove me wrong.

They already mentioned during the KS that rewards will be fulfilled by FanGamer. They're usually pretty good when it comes to shipping, so I don't think we have to worry about Awesome Japan on that front. However...

Every video game kickstarter I've participated in released digital copies before physical. And there are are plenty of examples of non-game ones where people could buy a product in stores before KS backers had even gotten their physical rewards. (I wear a Pebble Smartwatch that came from kickstarter and those ended up at Best Buy before most backers had gotten them)

I can't think of an example where they've ever managed to do physical and digital releases simultaneously coming from Kickstarter. I honestly won't be surprised if they send physical backers a digital code so they can play the game at release and then ship afterwards. On the other hand, it sounds like some of the physical rewards are already ready, since they showed Yu Suzuki signing the autographed backer posters in an update 2 years ago. Either way I'm not concerned, I don't think they'll leave backers empty handed at launch.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hyo Razuki » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:07 am

Yeah, I'll preorder the game on Steam and PS Store, as soon as it's up for preorder there. Also I've already got the physical PS4 version on preorder on Amazon just in case.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby alexh86 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:34 am

I've not backed a KS project before this one but from the above information it seems unlikely that I will get my physical copy before the game is available in stores. I really hate digital so I'll probably be buying a second copy to play early!
alexh86

PSN: ahark86

Postby shmoozip » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:24 pm

I guess that is the best thing to do. Just buy it in the stores just in case. Im not having problems with a digital purchase either
shmoozip
Banned
Banned

Postby SPG » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:44 pm

Abraham_1 wrote: I personally don't think creating physical copies is too much of a hassle for YSnet. What could be a hassle is the higher tiers like the collector's edition I picked.

Furthermore, there would be uproar if they sent people digital copies before physical ones; I highly doubt that will happen. When they release Shenmue III, they have to meet the backers' rewards otherwise there will be severe backlash, which could affect how well it reviews.

Could be a logistical nightmare though with different countries having more or less efficient mailing systems.
SPG
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue 1

Previous

Return to Shenmue III