Update #78: Then, Now and Tomorrow

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Update #78: Then, Now and Tomorrow

Postby Kuninobu » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:37 am

KidMarine wrote:
Technophilz wrote: Although everything in this new "update" tells us backers to lower our expectation even more

No.
Technophilz wrote:it took almost two years to make "acceptable" models of the two main characters

No.
Technophilz wrote: facial expressions and animations are not done yet,

No.
Technophilz wrote: we now have fewer characters than what's been initially announced

No.
Technophilz wrote: the new fighting system will be puzzle-based and more aimed towards causal players so we can kiss anything close to the decent fighting system of Shenmue and Shenmue II goodbye,

No.
Technophilz wrote: and finally another delay is highly expected.

No.

I'm struggling to find a statement in your post that even resembles reality. Maybe that it won't look like a AAA blockbuster? (No shit). It's beyond me how you've been unbanned. You're either a troll or nuts.

Yeah, he is definitely a troll, he is obsessed with the graphics but never seems to talk about the story or gameplay which is what made Shenmue so special. I mean there were other games on the Dreamcast that had better graphics than the original two games but it was the story and gamplay that set them apart. From the way he goes on I suspect he has never actually played Shenmue, and just enjoys coming on here for his monthly rant.

Kuninobu has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Kuninobu
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:18 am

Kuninobu wrote:
KidMarine wrote:
Technophilz wrote: Although everything in this new "update" tells us backers to lower our expectation even more

No.
Technophilz wrote:it took almost two years to make "acceptable" models of the two main characters

No.
Technophilz wrote: facial expressions and animations are not done yet,

No.
Technophilz wrote: we now have fewer characters than what's been initially announced

No.
Technophilz wrote: the new fighting system will be puzzle-based and more aimed towards causal players so we can kiss anything close to the decent fighting system of Shenmue and Shenmue II goodbye,

No.
Technophilz wrote: and finally another delay is highly expected.

No.

I'm struggling to find a statement in your post that even resembles reality. Maybe that it won't look like a AAA blockbuster? (No shit). It's beyond me how you've been unbanned. You're either a troll or nuts.

Yeah, he is definitely a troll, he is obsessed with the graphics but never seems to talk about the story or gameplay which is what made Shenmue so special. I mean there were other games on the Dreamcast that had better graphics than the original two games but it was the story and gamplay that set them apart. From the way he goes on I suspect he has never actually played Shenmue, and just enjoys coming on here for his monthly rant.

Name me 3 games that looked better than 2 on VGA.
Truck_1_0_1_
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby badamn » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:05 am

gillian_seed wrote:
Abraham_1 wrote:
darksniper wrote: Also that logo needs to go. There was nothing wrong with the original logo at all.

Whilst I also wish the logo would go, I don’t think that’s possible. Legally, there’s a reason for Yu Suzuki not choosing the original logo; it could have something to do with the partnership with Deep Silver. Or the possibility of Shenmue HD from Sega.

So many people have made it clear that they prefer the original logo; I doubt he’s ignoring us. I just don’t think he can.

I don't think so, since the original logo was chosen two months before the new and ugly one was presented in the Gamescon, so it's completely possible to use the classic font. For some reason YS doesn't want to use the original logo. It would be OK if new logo were, at least, professional, but it's not.

Looking at other KS projects like Bloodstained or Pillars of Eternity, they have good artworks and logo. It's kinda worrying that, after more than two years, the most funded game of KS doesn't even have a decent logo.

I seem to remember yu saying he wanted it changed from cursive because he was afraid a younger audience wouldnt be able to read it
badamn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby punkmanced » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:47 am

^ Yeah, that was the reasoning...which is kind of retarded.

If YS wants to update the 17 year-old logo of a game that's pretty much nowhere to be found, then I suppose there's some merit to the idea (as much as I hate to admit it)...but then again, Suzuki might also do well to remember that Shenmue's target audience tends to be able to read/write cursive to begin with. Just saying.

punkmanced has received a thanks from: gillian_seed
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby gillian_seed » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:05 pm

Besides, I don't think that new logo is appealing for any player, no matter if they are able to read cursive or not.
gillian_seed
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami

Postby sand4fish » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:33 pm

gillian_seed wrote: Besides, I don't think that new logo is appealing for any player, no matter if they are able to read cursive or not.

It's appealing to me because it was designed by hand by the man himself. And even taking away how we feel about the logo, if Yu were to go back to the old one now it will look like it was forced upon him to do so because of pressure. And what kinda of message is that? That the own game creator has no creative decision and input on his own work? That Shenmue 3 will be just a fan made/catered game with Yu Suzuki as director only in name?
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Centrale » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:44 pm

badamn wrote:I seem to remember yu saying he wanted it changed from cursive because he was afraid a younger audience wouldnt be able to read it

It seems that is a big concern for him. Someone better tell these guys...

Centrale has received a thanks from: Abraham_1
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby 7heavens » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:28 pm

I believe he designed the Japanese script by hand. Which actually looks quite good, but in my opinion it doesn't look good when converted over to English.
7heavens

Postby swimingdeer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:25 pm

So, it's my first post on this forum, but I'm reading it for some months now.

And, the more I see people talking about the logo, the more I think :
The present one seems closer to the japanese logo.
So, in a way, it was the cursive one that was not the "true" shenmue logo.

In the end it is always a debate between the first logo we were used to
and the logo that transcribe the idea of the japanese characters in roman alphabet.
(Switching styles when switching alphabet or not is a really subjective choice, in the end.)

As for the update per see, I'm interested in the idea of a more thoughtful combat system.
My guess is that we may have a more abstract battle system, not a less complex one.
Maybe, it could use a more context sensitive range of actions ?
(like "punch" or "kick" initiating different moves depending on the ennemies positions ?
Or, inputs relating to more abstract battle concepts ?)
But, whatever it is, I trust them to come up with something interesting.

Really hyped for now.

swimingdeer has received a thanks from: Suzuki Yu
swimingdeer
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Suzuki Yu » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:12 am

swimingdeer wrote: So, it's my first post on this forum, but I'm reading it for some months now.

And, the more I see people talking about the logo, the more I think :
The present one seems closer to the japanese logo.
So, in a way, it was the cursive one that was not the "true" shenmue logo.

In the end it is always a debate between the first logo we were used to
and the logo that transcribe the idea of the japanese characters in roman alphabet.
(Switching styles when switching alphabet or not is a really subjective choice, in the end.)

As for the update per see, I'm interested in the idea of a more thoughtful combat system.
My guess is that we may have a more abstract battle system, not a less complex one.
Maybe, it could use a more context sensitive range of actions ?
(like "punch" or "kick" initiating different moves depending on the ennemies positions ?
Or, inputs relating to more abstract battle concepts ?)
But, whatever it is, I trust them to come up with something interesting.

Really hyped for now.

Welcome aboard.

Yeah I have the same stance regarding the logo.
Suzuki designed the japanese logo himself back in the day and he is doing the same thing right now with the English one. He is trying to replicate the same design form the japanese logo.
My self i think it looks good with the white color.
Suzuki Yu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:53 pm

I think the logo has been taken out of Yu’s hands. It might be that someone at Deep Silver, Sega or Sony has said they need to change it and that’s just part of the deal they signed. When they’re paying the money to fund it they can demand stuff like that, at the end of the day it’s only Shenmue fans who will care and they will buy the game regardless. If they have data to show it would look better on a store shelf to appeal to non fans then it makes sense.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Abraham_1
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:34 pm

That was also my opinion... until I learnt that the new logo was designed by Yu Suzuki himself (and his father for the Japanese one). It just sounds that Yu wants to take a new departure with his very own franchise.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Suzuki Yu » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:51 pm

Yokosuka wrote: That was also my opinion... until I learnt that the new logo was designed by Yu Suzuki himself (and his father for the Japanese one). It just sounds that Yu wants to take a new departure with his very own franchise.

actually this was done by his father

while Suzuki San did this

Suzuki Yu has received a thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*
Suzuki Yu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby BigTuna » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:23 pm

I’m really worried about the battle system now. Hopefully that was just a translation goof. But either way. I was counting on the VF system making a return. I don’t want David Cage-esque bullshit.. Please don’t do that, Yu.

Honestly, I wish we knew more at this time. When I reflect on Shenmue 3. I feel like we’ve learned very little since its announcement way back in 2015.
BigTuna

Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby Centrale » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:55 pm

BigTuna wrote: I’m really worried about the battle system now. Hopefully that was just a translation goof. But either way. I was counting on the VF system making a return. I don’t want David Cage-esque bullshit.. Please don’t do that, Yu.

Not to be callous about it, but Yu Suzuki has already said multiple times that the VF system is not going to be in Shenmue III. It's going to be a different fighting system and will not focus on the quick reflexes-gameplay of typical fighting games.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III