Update #78: Then, Now and Tomorrow

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Update #78: Then, Now and Tomorrow

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:58 pm

Hmmmm. Yu-San seems pleased so far, but you can also tell that he wish he could use a different engine to make Shenmue 3. Its natural to want that familiarity back with the engine you are use to. I believe in him though.
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby Jesse » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:15 pm

What a very neat interesting interview. I'm very intrigued to see the final model for Shenhua. If I was Yu I would come out swinging with that at Monaco.

With maybe some clips of gameplay just to establish a baseline to non Shenmue fans of what they can expect. and maybe include one fight scene though that may be asking to much.

Either way even more pumped for Feb and I didn't think that was even possible.
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:25 pm

I like Yu Suzuki's goal with the combat system. Looks like he's trying to make the fights look like they do in the cutscenes, hence the "choreography". However, I don't like the way Suzuki-san is going about it. Instead of making the combat system easier to make it more accessible for newcomers (this is actually what I hate in gaming, too many casual-friendly games) he should make it so that in order to fight as well as Ryo and to put on epic Kung Fu style fights, the player must actually be skilled enough to do so. People that don't put in the time and effort to become skilled enough, should look bad when they play. The game shouldn't make them look good by being so simplistic. Deep and complex like a fighting game is the only answer.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:29 pm

Jesse wrote: What a very neat interesting interview. I'm very intrigued to see the final model for Shenhua. If I was Yu I would come out swinging with that at Monaco.

With maybe some clips of gameplay just to establish a baseline to non Shenmue fans of what they can expect. and maybe include one fight scene though that may be asking to much.

Wait, Shenhua's model is final? I'm not feeling very confident about it (it's only been a few months since the Gamescom teaser so I'm not sure how they got it done so soon). I really, really, REALLY hope she looks like the epic promo model (I'm sure everyone knows which one I mean!). Otherwise, I'll be sad because I'll always be wondering how amazing it could have been to see that model in action!
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby mrandyk » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:50 pm

This interview has me thinking 2018 is off the table for the first time. I do enjoy the insight, but it sounds like development isn't as far along as anticipated. I could be wrong but the thought of something so integral to the game as the battle system still not having a concrete concept is concerning.

mrandyk has received a thanks from: Abraham_1
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jesse » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:29 pm

Shenmue_Legend wrote:
Jesse wrote: What a very neat interesting interview. I'm very intrigued to see the final model for Shenhua. If I was Yu I would come out swinging with that at Monaco.

Wait, Shenhua's model is final? I'm not feeling very confident about it (it's only been a few months since the Gamescom teaser so I'm not sure how they got it done so soon). I really, really, REALLY hope she looks like the epic promo model (I'm sure everyone knows which one I mean!). Otherwise, I'll be sad because I'll always be wondering how amazing it could have been to see that model in action!

My mistake I just now re-watched the video and I just assumed by his wording and the rest of the video that she was finalized. Here's what he said: "
Well one thing I do feel better about lately is shenhua. You could say she is my life's work."

He goes on to say how her and ryo he must continue making improvements until essentially the final build.

He then adds: "I think we are now at a point with shenhuas model that I can say it finally is something I can approve of. Now it is a matter of getting the expressions and movements right."

I hope that helps clear up the misunderstanding on my part.
Jesse

PSN: Jrockstr

Postby Sappharad » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:55 pm

mrandyk wrote: This interview has me thinking 2018 is off the table for the first time. I do enjoy the insight, but it sounds like development isn't as far along as anticipated. I could be wrong but the thought of something so integral to the game as the battle system still not having a concrete concept is concerning.

I got the opposite impression from the video. It confirmed for me that they're still on schedule to release in 2018.

I mentioned in some of my previous posts what I felt were deadlines they'd have to meet in order to release in 2018. One of those was that if they had not started voiceover recording by April, they wouldn't be able to finish on time. Today's video confirmed that they will be starting VO recording soon, so they're definitely where I expect them to be.

I hoping for one more update between now and MAGIC at the end of February, which is going to be very exciting as it will probably be the first real look at the game in action.
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby darksniper » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:56 pm

What I got from this update is that Shenmue III would benefit greatly if they had more support from Sega. I'm not sure if this is possible, but it would be nice if the Virtua Fighter source code/engine can be ported to the Unreal Engine. Tekken seemed to have moved seamlessly to the UE4 without any problems. It would be nice if Sega allowed Yu Suzuki to experiment with the VF code on the Unreal Engine.

Also that logo needs to go. There was nothing wrong with the original logo at all.

darksniper has received a thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Abraham_1 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:47 am

darksniper wrote: Also that logo needs to go. There was nothing wrong with the original logo at all.

Whilst I also wish the logo would go, I don’t think that’s possible. Legally, there’s a reason for Yu Suzuki not choosing the original logo; it could have something to do with the partnership with Deep Silver. Or the possibility of Shenmue HD from Sega.

So many people have made it clear that they prefer the original logo; I doubt he’s ignoring us. I just don’t think he can.
Abraham_1
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: THEBIGFATDUDE
Nintendo FC: abraham_b123
Steam: Abraham_B
Currently playing: Danganronpa V3

Postby adom11800 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:02 am

Loving the idea of the fights being like cutscenes, I just hope we can actually control Ryo when in battle.

Otherwise it might as well be called 'Shenmue 3 the movie'. I'm loving the fact that people are really looking forward to Magic in February though. I wonder what we'll see...
Last edited by adom11800 on Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
adom11800

Postby gillian_seed » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:28 am

Abraham_1 wrote:
darksniper wrote: Also that logo needs to go. There was nothing wrong with the original logo at all.

Whilst I also wish the logo would go, I don’t think that’s possible. Legally, there’s a reason for Yu Suzuki not choosing the original logo; it could have something to do with the partnership with Deep Silver. Or the possibility of Shenmue HD from Sega.

So many people have made it clear that they prefer the original logo; I doubt he’s ignoring us. I just don’t think he can.

I don't think so, since the original logo was chosen two months before the new and ugly one was presented in the Gamescon, so it's completely possible to use the classic font. For some reason YS doesn't want to use the original logo. It would be OK if new logo were, at least, professional, but it's not.

Looking at other KS projects like Bloodstained or Pillars of Eternity, they have good artworks and logo. It's kinda worrying that, after more than two years, the most funded game of KS doesn't even have a decent logo.
gillian_seed
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami

Postby Batosai » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:41 pm

There were a number of things left open to interpretation which of course attracts negative opinions however without showing work in progress footage yet encouraging more pessimistic opinions they can only say they are making progress and how they feel the project is going on.

Personally feeling very positive after this interview as there seems to be a good amount of progress if voice acting work is due, also he said that many of the character models given by new partner had impact and character encouraging more scenes to be added. Also Yu Suzuki has been saying that with the partners support he is making the game bigger than he originally planned which is great.

Yu Suzuki said that Shenhua & Ryo were like his "life work" and they are always being worked on so until game release will likely continue to improve, I also think facial and movement animation will increase there presence quite a bit in game over images once added unlike the trailer.

Regarding combat he has yet to show any kind of concrete mechanics so it can be taken any number of ways, way too early cast judgement yet, read some Youtube comments getting annoyed that no scroll or skill upgrade system would come as a result of this which is just stupid, no reason why there can't be unlockable moves with this approach and probably highly likely seeing as one of the Kickstarter rewards is a scroll for exclusive move...

The updates are only negative if you choose to see them that way.
Batosai
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby adom11800 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:23 pm

Batosai wrote: There were a number of things left open to interpretation which of course attracts negative opinions however without showing work in progress footage yet encouraging more pessimistic opinions they can only say they are making progress and how they feel the project is going on.

Personally feeling very positive after this interview as there seems to be a good amount of progress if voice acting work is due, also he said that many of the character models given by new partner had impact and character encouraging more scenes to be added. Also Yu Suzuki has been saying that with the partners support he is making the game bigger than he originally planned which is great.

Yu Suzuki said that Shenhua & Ryo were like his "life work" and they are always being worked on so until game release will likely continue to improve, I also think facial and movement animation will increase there presence quite a bit in game over images once added unlike the trailer.

Regarding combat he has yet to show any kind of concrete mechanics so it can be taken any number of ways, way too early cast judgement yet, read some Youtube comments getting annoyed that no scroll or skill upgrade system would come as a result of this which is just stupid, no reason why there can't be unlockable moves with this approach and probably highly likely seeing as one of the Kickstarter rewards is a scroll for exclusive move...

The updates are only negative if you choose to see them that way.

There is alot of positive yes but sometimes you can't help but have concerns. I guess the best thing to do is not to get your hopes up. I honestly did see the whole interview as positive though and I think others did too.
adom11800

Postby punkmanced » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:15 pm

Interesting update marred by amateurish translation blunders.
Obviously, using Google translate means freeing up more resources for the dev team. Surprising no one picked up on that. ;)
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Hyo Razuki » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:59 am

Yes, the translation made me shudder a few times. I hope the "quality" of the interview translations and/or Awesome Japan's English spelling and wording in some past updates will be in no way reflective of the actual game's translation.

Great interview nontheless. Voice recording will start in early 2018, which is a sign of hope the game will actually come out next year.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III