Realistic expectations for Shenmue 3, will it deliver?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Realistic expectations for Shenmue 3, will it deliver?

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:48 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote:
killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: Fight Night is one on one and I hope it's not like For Honor. Yu Suzuki seems to be building a fighting system specifically for fighting groups of people.

You misunderstand. I mean it's not just a case of "A does X damage, B blocks A", the player will have to figure out which move is best at any given time and pick their shots rather than "mash X, double blow, mash Y, pit blow, mash Y" rinse and repeat.

shmoozip wrote:it is called absolver. and guess what u can fight multiple enemies and even tho absolver had a shitty netcode. the gameplay was perfect.

you can parry dash pull counter takedown or even clinch. the only thing you dont have is a ground game. which ofcourse was never there in shenmue. so it should be allright. tell me what you think of it please

Ah, I forgot about this. Yeah, this is the kinda thing I meant. It's a shame that it's failed, I wouldn't have minded giving it a go at some point.

Are you suggesting that Shenmue I and II were button mashers? That's not true at all. Yes you can spam the same move over and over but that's the player's fault. If you want to put on great fights and to actually make it look good, you've got to switch it up. Obviously someone that keeps spamming elbow assault is choosing to do so out of their own accord and it shows in their gameplay. They have zero skill whatsoever whereas skilled players will make it look amazing and fluid.

And to shmoozip, Absolver's combat is far from "perfect". I mean it's good but it could do with a little more depth because right now it's kinda too simplistic.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:41 am

It seems everyone ignores the word "realistic" in the "realistic expectations"

My realistic expectation for Shenmue 3 is that it will play, and look like a Shenmue game. It will have a better visual fidelity than previous games in the series but will not compete with major AAA games. It will compete with more AA games like Tales of, Valkria Chronicles, Trails in the Sky- Cold Steel. etc. which all look like they still belong on PS3, the only thing that makes such games look good is that they're cell shaded and have an anime aesthetic which greatly forgives any artistic compromises since those games aren't trying to represent realistic human anatomy in any way.

The most recent game that Shenmue 3 should be compared to realistically is the original announcement and very first reveal of Dragon Quest XI gameplay. I say this because originally, a lot of people were very put off by DQXI's visuals and felt that the realistic locations did not mesh with the more anime stylized character models, and felt that the lack of cell-shading on the extremely realistic locations actively distracted from the graphical appeal of the game. There were also major complaints that the character models felt too plastic and that their skin was unnatural. All of these criticisms have also been levied at Shenmue 3, which I feel makes my comparison very apt.

For more direct comparison of Dragon Quest XI, in development of the game we were rarely given any info or screenshots or videos, what was given was heavily criticized but with a very short development time in the public eye from 2015 to 2017 the game saw major improvements and today it is considered as a great looking game by most fans of Dragon Quest. I can see Shenmue 3 taking a similar trajectory, but again it's not going to be AAA realistic Uncharted/Gears/Halo level graphics. It's more an evolution of Dreamcast graphics made in HD with much more accurate anatomy and higher visual fidelity.

As for gameplay, I expect it to play like a Shenmue game. Or better yet, like an Adventure game with a fighting system integrated into it. The closest I can compare this to is a non-episodic version of Dreamfall: Chapters that adds fighting segments. You go around asking questions and finding out information, the story plays out, you use clues to help you along the way while completing objectives and learn about the characters and their motivations. So, basically, it'd be Shenmue 2 gameplay wise.

For reception. Not so well to be honest. It's not gonna sell gangbusters and it will struggle to find it's own niche of players apart from fans of the original game. Yes, I do believe there will be a small cult following by those who enjoy life-sims but it's not going to light up the world or anything. And that is okay, I think. As long as the game makes a profit and the fans of the series like it, that should really be all that matters. I don't think it's a realistic expectation to magically think that everyone who has never had any interest in the series to suddenly try it or love it. There are so many people out there who expect the game to fail because they either do not understand what Shenmue is (It's NOT Yakuza! It's not Streets of Rage, and it's not a effin AAA title!)and expect it to be some insane technical showcase that compares with games like TLOU or Hellblade, and actively set themselves up for disappointment because they refuse to accept that it's an indie title, or they just do not actively find the series appealing.

In conclusion.

Expectations are

Plays like a Shenmue game with slightly more modern controls.
Looks like a Shenmue game with a more sylized aesthetic and greater visual fideality.
Sales will be mediocre.
Fans will enjoy the game if the story is good.

Those are my honest expectations of Shenmue 3, and yes, I do believe the game will deliver based on those expectations because I don't expect it to be anything more than it is.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby jasonorme666 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:22 am

Fans will love it, but the average Call of Duty gamer of today's generation won't get it.

"it sux you don't do anything, just talk to people, you can't even drive or shoot anyone 1/10".

That's why I enjoyed the big indie dev boom, it showed that people want different things from games and not just the same old 10 titles year after year.
jasonorme666
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby shmoozip » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:08 pm

we talked a lot all of us. but the realistic expectation is that it is like shenmue 2 and slightly better.
shmoozip
Banned
Banned

Previous

Return to Shenmue III