"Immersion": Yu Suzuki's Keyword for 2018

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: "Immersion": Yu Suzuki's Keyword for 2018

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:14 am

Rikitatsu wrote:
Suzuki Yu wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote: While Suzuki continues to says he got Shenhua's face right this time, I still think it will be a departure from our Shenhua (the one in Shenmue 2).

He seems to be intentionally drifting away from her old design based on what we've seen in the trailer, not only she is more "Anime", but her outfit is vastly different.

I expect her final look will barely resemble the old Shenhua. Guess we'll see in MAGIC.

2003:

2015:

2017:

2018:

???? Hopefully closer to 2001 than anything above.

this is just reminds me how much i hated the SII model (it wasn't bad but i never felt of any satisfactions towards it)
to me the Shenmue 1 ver (which is a less detailed model) was much better and on-point with what the character should look like.

I like it. But the main reason why I want her to resemble her S2 self is because that's the model that we are familiar with from all the hours we spent with S2. To me, that's Shenhua. Not the renders, or the passport models, but the in-game one.

Same goes for Ryo.

Well it's a new Shenmue so this is the last and only chance we'll ever get to see a new but previous recognisable model. In this case it's the promo models. The thing is, we've already seen Dreamcast Ryo and Shenhua in game so why not get the Shenmue Online/promo Ryo and a CG model of Shenhua in game? It'd be sweet and would please many people including me, that have always been wondering how they'd look like in action!

Also, I bet that's how they've always supposed to look. The limitations of the Dreamcast meant that they couldn't look like that. These are the definitive looks for them so there's no reason to go back to the DC versions. It'd be a downgrade really compared to these ones in terms of quality and overall looks.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:32 pm

shmoozip wrote: There is no immersion if it is a puzzle fighter. I really regret buying this game last 2 weeks. No fighting in shenmue is not shenmue at all. And qte or puzzle does not count for me

I love the idea of having to solve a jigsaw in order to defeat Lan Di.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Deta
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Mystere » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:59 pm

Or a sweet combination of falling beans in Lan Di's Mean Bean Machine.

Mystere has received 2 thanks from: Deta, SickOctopus
Mystere
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Suzuki Yu » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:44 pm

Rikitatsu wrote:
Suzuki Yu wrote:
Rikitatsu wrote: While Suzuki continues to says he got Shenhua's face right this time, I still think it will be a departure from our Shenhua (the one in Shenmue 2).

He seems to be intentionally drifting away from her old design based on what we've seen in the trailer, not only she is more "Anime", but her outfit is vastly different.

I expect her final look will barely resemble the old Shenhua. Guess we'll see in MAGIC.

2003:

2015:

2017:

2018:

???? Hopefully closer to 2001 than anything above.

this is just reminds me how much i hated the SII model (it wasn't bad but i never felt of any satisfactions towards it)
to me the Shenmue 1 ver (which is a less detailed model) was much better and on-point with what the character should look like.

I like it. But the main reason why I want her to resemble her S2 self is because that's the model that we are familiar with from all the hours we spent with S2. To me, that's Shenhua. Not the renders, or the passport models, but the in-game one.

Same goes for Ryo.

to better showcase my problem with SII model take this comparison for example

something looks off about her face shape. it look more rounded compared to the rest plus i don't like her lips.
Suzuki Yu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:54 am

I actually don't mind Shenhua's change of outfit. And the more I look at it, the more I like it.

I, however, will definitely mind if she were to be retroactively wearing a different outfit during flashbacks or similar segments of the game. I am not down for such retconning.

But on the whole, the new outfit is no big deal. We know Ryo is not going to be wearing his jacket, white T-shirt and blue jeans throughout the entire game. So many people are stuck in the past and think that characters always must retain their original look forever but as long as their actual models are representative of their original design and their clothing fits their personality and benefits the story it shouldn't really matter that they've obtained a change of clothing.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Suzuki Yu » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:45 am

ShenmueTree wrote: I actually don't mind Shenhua's change of outfit. And the more I look at it, the more I like it.

from the very beginning she's supposed to change her outfit from time to time. don't be surprised if she appeared with multiple outfits within Shenmue 3 alone.
Ryo himself will change his outfit latter on.
Suzuki Yu
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Centrale » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:27 pm

Suzuki Yu wrote:

something looks off about her face shape. it look more rounded compared to the rest plus i don't like her lips.

Well, truth be told the S2 Shenhua face looks more like a 6-year-old than a 16-year-old. If I didn't already know it was Shenhua and I looked at that S2 image of her face, I'd think... little kid.

Centrale has received a thanks from: Suzuki Yu
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Rikitatsu » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:46 am

In Shenmue 2, she looks homely, imperfect, innocent, very much in-line with her personality. I think the renders are too "moe". They emphasize beauty over anything else.

But hey, that's just me.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Abraham_1 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:29 pm

shmoozip wrote: There is no immersion if it is a puzzle fighter. I really regret buying this game last 2 weeks. No fighting in shenmue is not shenmue at all. And qte or puzzle does not count for me

Yu Suzuki never said there’s no fighting in 3. Only that he’s changed the combat gameplay to encourage players to think about how to approach combat. The way he justifies ‘puzzles’ doesn’t make it sound like a puzzle fighter. In fact, it just makes it sound like a weird translation which came up with the name puzzle. We won’t know until we see it though
Abraham_1
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: THEBIGFATDUDE
Nintendo FC: abraham_b123
Steam: Abraham_B
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Danganronpa V3

Previous

Return to Shenmue III