What we hope to happen in Shenmue III

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: What we hope to happen in Shenmue III

Postby Telekill » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:54 pm

Shenmue_Legend wrote:No. I want to see everything that is supposed to happen in Ryo's quest. Ending on a 4th Shenmue would be underwhelming and would mean that the whole experience has not been fully provided. A conclusion should come whenever it's supposed to happen, not rushed just to finish it for the sake of it. Also, as long as Yu Suzuki is in charge I bet each installment will be guaranteed to be remarkable and satisfactory. Yu Suzuki will only keep going so long as there is still value and relevance. Once the Shenmue series is truly finished, I'm sure he won't keep milking it with any irrelevant continuations.

I have faith in Suzuki to make the best possible Shenmue that he can. What I don't have faith in is publishers/financial supporters to allow Suzuki to continue the series in its entirety as was originally intended. What's going to happen if Shenmue 3 or its possible fourth installment sees lackluster sales and the series funding is once again pulled? We, the fans, will be stuck in limbo once again only this time there will be no second revival. We will get no ending. To me, that is more unacceptable then missing out on a couple chapters/details.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Shenmue_Legend » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:03 pm

Telekill wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote:No. I want to see everything that is supposed to happen in Ryo's quest. Ending on a 4th Shenmue would be underwhelming and would mean that the whole experience has not been fully provided. A conclusion should come whenever it's supposed to happen, not rushed just to finish it for the sake of it. Also, as long as Yu Suzuki is in charge I bet each installment will be guaranteed to be remarkable and satisfactory. Yu Suzuki will only keep going so long as there is still value and relevance. Once the Shenmue series is truly finished, I'm sure he won't keep milking it with any irrelevant continuations.

I have faith in Suzuki to make the best possible Shenmue that he can. What I don't have faith in is publishers/financial supporters to allow Suzuki to continue the series in its entirety as was originally intended. What's going to happen if Shenmue 3 or its possible fourth installment sees lackluster sales and the series funding is once again pulled? We, the fans, will be stuck in limbo once again only this time there will be no second revival. We will get no ending. To me, that is more unacceptable then missing out on a couple chapters/details.

I know and that's certainly a valid concern but I believe Shenmue III will definitely sell well. At the very least, it will definitely sell a lot more than the previous installments since the hype and anticipation is far greater. And as for Shenmue IV, well so long as III is excellent then IV will sell well too because the public will know that III was a quality game so that will result in more sales.

And yes it's a risky endeavour but so were Shenmue I and II. In fact if you see the Kickstarter, they even state that the Shenmue series has always been about risk. But that's what results in greatness and success.
Shenmue_Legend
Banned
Banned

Postby Telekill » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:23 pm

Shenmue_Legend wrote:
I know and that's certainly a valid concern but I believe Shenmue III will definitely sell well. At the very least, it will definitely sell a lot more than the previous installments since the hype and anticipation is far greater. And as for Shenmue IV, well so long as III is excellent then IV will sell well too because the public will know that III was a quality game so that will result in more sales.

And yes it's a risky endeavour but so were Shenmue I and II. In fact if you see the Kickstarter, they even state that the Shenmue series has always been about risk. But that's what results in greatness and success.

I sincerely hope that Suzuki gets all the funding he needs to complete the story how he wishes and that we get Shenmue 4 and 5, maybe even 6. I just don't have that kind of faith.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby BalHan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:14 pm

Whilst controlling Ryo in the first two games, you could either walk or run but I’d like to see an improvement on that in Shenmue III. Jumping and ducking would be welcome additions.
BalHan
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Mystere » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:02 pm

I'd like to see the "old" characters from Shenmue I and II rendered when Ryo calls them (in reference to the phonecard tier on Kickstarter). It'd be nice to see clips of Nozomi, Fuku-san, etc. talking and reacting to Ryo during the conversations instead of just their voices on the line.
Mystere
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hyo Razuki » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:46 pm

Welcome to the Dojo, Balhan. :D You may have kicked the hornets' nest with this topic.

BalHan wrote:
5. Ryo’s quest to avenge his father’s death takes him to the United States. The men in black suits with Lan Di were clearly Caucasian.

Not too sure about their race. I always thought about them as white too, but one character model has been reused in S2 representing aclearly Chinese character (who get their ass kicked by Ren). :king:

http://shenmue.wikia.com/wiki/Man_in_Black_Suit_B
http://shenmue.wikia.com/wiki/Zhou_Yue

BalHan wrote:
6. The saga ends, at the soonest, in the fifth game.

I'm all for more Shenmue games but chances are it will end with the fourth or fifth game. Yu has stated so multiple times and I think if he is cool with Shenmue consisting of only four games, we can be cool with it as well. S3 will definitely not be the last one though.

https://www.polygon.com/2015/6/20/8818097/shenmue-3-story-11-chapters-kickstarter-yu-suzuki

What do I want to happen. Well, some things I want to happen, some things I want answered. Could be an endless list but I'll try to keep it short.

1. Lan Di fight. After the quest for revenge ends, what's next for Ryo? What is his "destiny, predetermined since ancient times?" (On a side note: I'm pretty sure Ryo will beat Lan Di in S3.)

2. What are the mirrors actually for?

3. Who are the other two Chiyoumen leaders? Who is Tian Di? Who is Baihu?

4. Who is Shenhua? What happened to her father?

5. Why did Iwao kill Zhao Sunming? Or did he not?

And the list goes on and on like what's the "Mysterious Scroll", what's with the feather from the Dojo basement, what happened to Ziming and so on and so forth but I think my major questiions are the five above. If S3 can answer two or three of these, I'd be very happy.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BalHan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:58 pm

The response to my very first post was better than I could have ever anticipated! A big thank you for your replies and an especial thank you to those who welcomed me.
It certainly wasn't my intention to kick the hornet's nest!
Hyo Razuki, could you please elaborate on your third point. The leaders of the Chiyoumen? When are the names Tian Di and Biahu ever mentioned?
BalHan

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby elfshadowreaper » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:39 pm

Telekill wrote: I know this opinion isn't very popular, but I would like to see the series conclusion with the fourth game. At the very least, have the Ryo vs Lan Di vengeance story arc complete. If they want to branch off into something else, fine, but I want the original main story to be done so that I can have closure after 20 years of waiting.

I came here to say pretty much this. I want some degree of closure in Shenmue 3. Mainly with Lan Di. We all know by now Ryo won’t kill him. I hope 3 settles the score somehow. I don’t think that will happen but I don’t want it to be a Shenmue 2 scenario all over where we wait indefinitely for a sequel. If Shenmue 3 isn’t successful we’ll never get a fourth. Period. The prologue to the first game set up Lan Di as the villain. I want Ryo to defeat that villain in whatever way Yu envisions. In my mind that is the only resolution I care about. Anything else is icing on the cake. I know the story will continue with Tentei but I really only care about Lan Di right now.

elfshadowreaper has received a thanks from: Telekill
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby swimingdeer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:05 pm

I think that, more than Ryo and Lan Di to "settle their score" in S3,
I would like to understand and learn more of Lan Di's story.
I guess that understanding him would make Ryo more keen on finding a suitable conclusion about Lan Di.
I don't really need Ryo and Lan Di grudge to conclude in S3.
But, it would be nice to have a clearer grasp on how it could end for them.

Apart from the story aspect :
Gameplay wise, I think I'm fine with the S1 and S2 controls,
so if change there is, I would like them to be addition to that instead of revamping.
(For instance, one of the additional trigger used tor strafe/sidestep,
or the second analog stick used to make Ryo kinda turn-on spot...)

Also, I remember reading, somewhere, that S3 would be "the end of this story".
If it means the end of the revenge plot,
I would be glad to see in future games, Ryo finding his way in life, after that.
swimingdeer

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby elfshadowreaper » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:48 pm

I imagine it’s going to be something along the lines of...big bad deceived Lan Di to think Iwao killed his father. Lan Di face changes and helps Ryo take down big bad. I hope we see the face change at the end of Shenmue 3 and leave taking down big bad to the other games. I doubt they can wrap up the revenge plot at the end of 3 but we’ll see.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Abraham_1 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:17 am

Suzuki Yu wrote:
Shenmue_Legend wrote: No modern map system either. The player should navigate around and figure out where the location is or where they're supposed to go by themselves. If there is a map, it should be exactly like a real world map without any markers or way points.

Another good point.
Modern maps system should never implemented in a Shenmue game.

You know, I’m actually a little worried about this. Take a look at this video at around 1:29:

phpBB [video]

You can see a sort of mini map; I really hope it’s like a Shenmue 2 mini map, rather than the types of modern mini maps you get in games today. I’d just rather there be no mini map whatsoever.
Abraham_1
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: THEBIGFATDUDE
Nintendo FC: abraham_b123
Steam: Abraham_B
Currently playing: Danganronpa V3

Postby Jerid'sRamenShop » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:58 am

I just hope Ryo himself does not get any weird Chi/magic powers or at the very least, nothing too out there too soon. If this turns into Dragon Ball Z or even Street Fighter I am going to be highly upset. Also I would prefer it to go back to Japan, but I simply do not see it happening. I love Japan and prefer the first game because of it. It was a big world, but always something interesting to see. Part two had an even bigger world, but half the time I felt like I was lost and trudging through it and pointlessly. Besides that just more arcade games, although being out in the middle of no where it may be quite boring... 8-[

Jerid'sRamenShop has received a thanks from: Your Boy Leroy
Jerid'sRamenShop
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kintor » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:12 am

Right now I'm not even really concerned about the story and whether or not we will need more games to reach a satisfying conclusion. What I want is more F.R.E.E - Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment. That sense of immersion and intricate level of detail that can only be found in the world of Shenmue. As long as Yu Suzuki delivers on that I think I'll be fairly happy with whatever direction the story takes. For me, Shenmue 3 is about the journey and not necessarily the destination.

Kintor has received 2 thanks from: Miles Prower, Yokosuka
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Previous

Return to Shenmue III