the shenmue license

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

the shenmue license

Postby shmoozip » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:48 am

we do not really know for sure if yu Suzuki has the full shenmue license. all we know is that sega gave him the right to make shenmue 3. for real that is just it. he is allowed to make it and we do not know how strict the contract is. so my question is cuz i couldnt find it on google. doe syu Suzuki have the licens yes or no?

why do i ask this? we seem to beeling way to safe that shenmue 4 gets made and what not.

shmoozip
Banned
Banned

Re: the shenmue license

Postby ShenmueTree » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:53 am

I tried to use my evoker to blow my brains out but it didn't work, but strangely seeing your post did.

- The Ghost of ShenmueTree
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shmoozip » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:13 am

ShenmueTree wrote: I tried to use my evoker to blow my brains out but it didn't work, but strangely seeing your post did.

- The Ghost of ShenmueTree

pls on topic i know the bubble buts did u well.

the shenmue license is not for yu Suzuki. sega just gave him this shen 3 green light. if this game does well he may continue and even sega will go full into this. im still just flabbergasted that the yakuza engine isnt used. also yakuza is a succes but not a huge succes. just a good game with good numbers. obviously yu Suzuki has a hard time with the unreal engine. yakuza engine is actually build on shenmue. so why not use that?

as for the license. we are not there yet. shenmue 3 is an all or nothing thing. which is why i funded my part. i really hope it kicks off like no one imagined. if it sells like last guardian is more then good.
shmoozip
Banned
Banned

Postby sutoji » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:50 pm

that has got to be a photoshopped image right?
sutoji
Banned
Banned

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:36 am

sutoji wrote: that has got to be a photoshopped image right?

Probably a service on fiverr.
BlueCreeperBoy12
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:47 am

sutoji wrote: that has got to be a photoshopped image right?

On closer inspection (much closer inspection, in fact), it's most definitely photoshopped.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby spud1897 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:29 am

Yu has the licence to make 3 from SEGA. I would think that would include trademarks and copyrights.

In terms of the first 2 games he does not have the licence to make them but has access to the assests from the games as part of the process to make 3. I know he is using music previously recorded for 2 in 3 and was talking about having playable flashback scenes.

spud1897 has received 2 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, VukBZ2005
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Postby shmoozip » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:44 pm

I think he didnt get a license at all. It's precisely what it is. He got permission to make it. Sega may interfere whenever it decides to.
shmoozip
Banned
Banned

Postby spud1897 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:56 am

Thats an interesting idea and one that is quite plausible given the situation & would as you say allow Sega to essentially do what they want within development.

I don't think that's the case, it wouldn't shock me within the agreement made that Yu has asked for full creative control over the game. It would make sense as it was his baby (owened by his employer) and they have so far had none of their brandings anywhere on the things we have seen from 3. It would suggest they are not actively involved.

They have done their part in terms of letting Yu make the game and having access to assets from 1 and 2. However given that until very recently they wouldn't even comment on anything Shenmue it suggests to me they are letting him get on with it. If it became a commercial success then I rekcon Sega may jump on it, what they are doing at the moment carries zero risk to them. In fact by not releasing the HD remakes they being unhelpful to promotion of 3.

Yu still has contacts within Sega the whole partnership with Deep Silver has come through a trusted source & Deep Silver have published a number of Sega titles in the west the last couple of years.

spud1897 has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Postby shmoozip » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:29 pm

I am sure it's not the license he has. He has the right to make the game and gets full freedom. Sega is the one that decides wether it be on xbox or ps4 and switch and whatnot. Sega is still the one who pulls the strings when they want and whenever they feel like should they interfere. Bayonetta 2 and 3 are clearly an exception where exclusivity is a permanent agreement. And even then its sega license.
Yu suzuki is respected by sega so im sure he has an agreement to do whatever he wants with the game. Its as sophisticated as it is. But what it comes down to is sega is like. Yo we aint givin you no license. But we like you. So do whatever cause fans are waiting and otherwise this game will be dorment
shmoozip
Banned
Banned

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:16 am

^ Not true. Sony was the only company to consider and show interest to market for Shenmue III. Phil Spencer said he rather focus on Microsoft first party games even though he is a Shenmue fan. So Sega has no say what console for it to be on.
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby shmoozip » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:52 am

*Kenshin Himura* wrote: ^ Not true. Sony was the only company to consider and show interest to market for Shenmue III. Phil Spencer said he rather focus on Microsoft first party games even though he is a Shenmue fan. So Sega has no say what console for it to be on.

look man if you been in thios since day 1 you know it is actually microsoft that wanted shenmue 3 and not sony. the sudden turn of events were surprising to many of us. phil spencer didnt only bail out on shenmue, but on many exclusives he cancelled. he xent for sea of thieves. instead of that dragon game. and he cancelled shenmue 3 for unknown reasons.

shenmue is a special game with special history and difficulties. this game was basically dorment and sega its furthest of giving is basically bayo 2 and 3 and even those games even tho nin contracted a permanent exclusive. there is a way around that. just look at ninja gaidens perm exclusive of the xbox that somehow went multiplat cause wel they used different engine and patent for the same outcome.

yu Suzuki has no authority AT ALL.
what yu Suzuki did have is great respect. he made sega succesfull and not so succesfull. letys not forget many of his games were the reason why sega has rose and became succesfull but lets also not forget his huge flops
ferari game needed a special Naomi board customized for the Ferrari game. not only did it flop the game. but the hardware was rendered useless in that sense.

also shenmue is a very good game on a very good console with sega as a brand which has been a bad rep at the time due to consistent cancelations of consoles and addons

32x mega cd saturn..... people were carefull with sega or didnt buy at all.

shenmue was succesfull in that sense cause every dreamcast owner wanted it. but it was a flop due to its long development since early saturn days. with that in mind yu Suzuki shenmue was actually succesful and would v been succesfull if sega dreamcast was succesfull

these are things that are considered by sega and sega doesnt take yu Suzuki as a bitch like konami did with kojima. yu Suzuki is regarded as a respectfull man by many factions. even the yakuza in japan when they see yu Suzuki regardless the clan or family they dont let yu choose sides. they will probably drink wine with yu Suzuki and respect his talent and artistic feelings

so basically sega is really putting yu Suzuki above its head unlike the dude who made ivy the kiwi and that other dude who made that wii u game former sonic team. yu Suzuki because of his polite behaviour has delt well with him.
all yu Suzuki got is the right to make the game with any tool necessary.

im sure sega gave him a small million start and we as KS funders 6.8mil. and deep silver. and some arab sheik. and we have cedric his investment and yu suzuki has a pocket as well. what we see here is a simple friendship deeply rooted all the way back when sega was still fresh..

this only gave yu suzuki the right to make shenmue 3.
he has no license. he has their word. and dont be surprised if sega might decide to start pulling the strings. it can evolve many ways
shmoozip
Banned
Banned

Return to Shenmue III