Magic Monaco 2018 details and new Shenmue III screenshots

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Magic Monaco 2018 details and new Shenmue III screenshot

Postby adom11800 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:45 pm

punkmanced wrote: I really like the extended trailer!

Re: Magic- It's a microcosmic conference held in Monaco. The only reason it's being (artificially) hyped is because Biscay has a vested interest in the event itself.

Let's hope that bigger and better events will give us more to chew on, in terms of substantial content.

100% agreed! Cheers Yokosuka for that much better quality. Anyway the game is looking very promising and while I will admit today could have been better, I don't know why they are keeping the game so discreet/low key as of right now though. We really need to see gameplay next though and please not until E3...
Last edited by adom11800 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
adom11800
Master of the Three Blades

Postby BigTuna » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:45 pm

If there is no advancement when E3 comes around. Then this game is 100% delayed until 2019/2020. I’m cool with that. But at this point I really hope they just give us a realistic and official date. If it’s December 31, 2020. So be it. Just be real.
BigTuna

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby gillian_seed » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:59 pm

If they gave a realistic date, then not many people would have backed the project.
gillian_seed
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami

Postby The_Intruder » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:02 pm

I just watched the extended gamescom Teaser and I like it a lot is like those old Kung Fu movies. I grew up watching so many Chinese Kung Fu movies and I love them. Now I feel Shenmue 3 will be an amazing experience just like the first two games.

The_Intruder has received a thanks from: celsowm
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby punkmanced » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:27 pm

Reprise wrote:
punkmanced wrote: I really like the extended trailer!

Re: Magic- It's a microcosmic conference held in Monaco. The only reason it's being (artificially) hyped is because Biscay has a vested interest in the event itself.

Let's hope that bigger and better events will give us more to chew on, in terms of substantial content.

True. They didn't really show much at last year's either, did they?

I just let myself get hyped up. I figured that because A) It's been in development for 2 and a half years now, B) It's been ages since we've had a real progress update and C) They announced it and hyped it up; that all this meant we would be getting a proper update there. That was my own presumption though :(

Not at all. Your reasons are completely valid; the hype was very real.

I think that some of us may have suspected it in the past… but didn’t really want to believe it until today:
Magic Monaco is basically worthless. With or without Biscay’s BS.

Using the Shenmue 3 campaign to justify the promotion of an event that you are spearheading is fine...as long as you deliver the goods in the end. With 3 stills and a 6 month-old trailer, I'd say we’re pretty f’ing far from that being the case right now.

I feel sorry for those who actually wasted real $$$ to attend this in person.

Well…at least Yu’s getting some vacation time out of this. Good for him :-D
Last edited by punkmanced on Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

punkmanced has received 2 thanks from: Reprise, SickOctopus
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Enigma » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:28 pm

These two seconds gave me a chuckle.

phpBB [video]

Oh Ryo, you're so cool. =D>
Enigma
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: SWOTOR

Postby Amir » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:32 pm

I like the extended trailer, considering it’s from an older build of the game it’s nice to see that snippet of Choubu with NPCs.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby colacube » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:00 pm

After today I feel like there are some serious development issues that they're not telling us. Maybe they're waiting on character models from Lakshya Digital, or maybe they outsourced the environment modeling to India as well, and it's taking longer than expected? I know Yu Suzuki had issues working with a Korean studio for Shenmue Online, I hope things are going smoothly this time. I feel they should have a lot more to show by now.
colacube
Asia Travel Representative

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:06 pm

So again, people are accusing Cedric of teasing/hinting about showing new gameplay, and again there's a lot of anger going around. Maybe it's like I had said before that just maybe when Cedric said (paraphrasing) "I'm playing it now, I don't know about fans" he was just being honest? No, couldn't be. That's not to say there is no blame to around, cause there is, when he said I think last year that "fans would finally see the game in motion at Monaco 2018" he should understand what that implies. But his comments this week specifically? That's fans overhyping things and getting disappointed.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Snakiest » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:35 pm

I absolutely enjoyed the new pieces.

I do not see any reasons for worry - as far as I know, the game has been in development for 2 years (Yu said he only managed to gather a team by the end of 2015). Shenmue is an indie project in budget, but not in scale, and it should take this long at least. Additionally, a careful and experienced observer should know that it is very common to show a proper trailer of a game between March and June of the release year at a major event - both for marketing purposes and for the fact that this is when a game finally looks like what a customer can expect. In other words, we haven't seen anything yet. And that's the only objective reality here, not a mismatch of one's idiosyncratic expectations and the little bits shown today or anxious projections of the future quality of the game rooted in it.

Snakiest has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Snakiest

Postby colacube » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:01 pm

I do not see any reasons for worry - as far as I know, the game has been in development for 2 years (Yu said he only managed to gather a team by the end of 2015). Shenmue is an indie project in budget, but not in scale, and it should take this long at least. Additionally, a careful and experienced observer should know that it is very common to show a proper trailer of a game between March and June of the release year at a major event - both for marketing purposes and for the fact that this is when a game finally looks like what a customer can expect. In other words, we haven't seen anything yet. And that's the only objective reality here, not a mismatch of one's idiosyncratic expectations and the little bits shown today or anxious projections of the future quality of the game rooted in it.

That all sounds fair. I just wonder why Yu Suzuki would attend this event with only a handful of new screenshots and a rerun of the widely ridiculed teaser. I'm just glad they're not releasing the extended trailer officially, or websites would've joked again about those expressionless, weirdly lit faces that don't even blink.
colacube

Postby WildManofBorneo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:08 pm

Snakiest wrote: I absolutely enjoyed the new pieces.

I do not see any reasons for worry - as far as I know, the game has been in development for 2 years (]Yu said he only managed to gather a team by the end of 2015).

WildManofBorneo wrote:
Let's assume that Shenmue had 1-2 months of pre development prior to the Kickstarter (basic concepts, storyboards, early game art) in July of 2015. Following the successful funding in mid August, Suzuki and team then visited China for a month to document and photograph the game's location settings.

Sept 2015, Suzuki is back in Japan and tasked with setting up the development team and engaged in the hiring process. This would have taken an additional 2-3 months to be fully staffed while basic game components were being solidified. So let us assume that the game did not enter full development until Dec 2015. From there we can estimate an 'incubation period' of 38-42 months based on analogous game development times.

Dec 2015 + (38 to 42 months) = February to April 2019 release date.

Correct.

Shenmue 3 got off to a lackadaisical start, most likely due to the fact that they could - as there was no initial publisher imposing time frame demands.
WildManofBorneo

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:35 pm

ShenmueTree wrote: So again, people are accusing Cedric of teasing/hinting about showing new gameplay, and again there's a lot of anger going around. Maybe it's like I had said before that just maybe when Cedric said (paraphrasing) "I'm playing it now, I don't know about fans" he was just being honest? No, couldn't be. That's not to say there is no blame to around, cause there is, when he said I think last year that "fans would finally see the game in motion at Monaco 2018" he should understand what that implies. But his comments this week specifically? That's fans overhyping things and getting disappointed.

I appreciate you're defending Cedric because he surely needs it. I always backed him because, as a native French speaker, I can feel by instinct he's 100% honest, and his interest in Shenmue as a gamer is truly authentic. Today however, I feel disappointed by him.
First, I heard that fans in the room could not understand a single word because the promised English translator was not there. Secondly, Yu looked exhausted. I hope Cedric didn't employ Yu as a stopgap solution for his event because there's really no reason he would cross the planet to make a repeat of the GDC Postmortem 2014 as Shenmue Master ironically said on live.
Thirdly, here we go, the "in motion" thing. How he could contradict himself so easily? I believe something wrong happened in the last moments, with Cedric and Yu getting a last say from Deep Silver "What? You're going to show gameplay content to public? No, not now!!!". As usual since the beginning of the project, it's hard to get a fair opinion with so few information.

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: iyapol
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:53 pm

Yokosuka wrote:
ShenmueTree wrote: So again, people are accusing Cedric of teasing/hinting about showing new gameplay, and again there's a lot of anger going around. Maybe it's like I had said before that just maybe when Cedric said (paraphrasing) "I'm playing it now, I don't know about fans" he was just being honest? No, couldn't be. That's not to say there is no blame to around, cause there is, when he said I think last year that "fans would finally see the game in motion at Monaco 2018" he should understand what that implies. But his comments this week specifically? That's fans overhyping things and getting disappointed.

I appreciate you're defending Cedric because he surely needs it. I always backed him because, as a native French speaker, I can feel by instinct he's 100% honest, and his interest in Shenmue as a gamer is truly authentic. Today however, I feel disappointed by him.
First, I heard that fans in the room could not understand a single word because the promised English translator was not there. Secondly, Yu looked exhausted. I hope Cedric didn't employ Yu as a stopgap solution for his event because there's really no reason he would cross the planet to make a repeat of the GDC Postmortem 2014 as Shenmue Master ironically said on live.
Thirdly, here we go, the "in motion" thing. How he could contradict himself so easily? I believe something wrong happened in the last moments, with Cedric and Yu getting a last say from Deep Silver "What? You're going to show gameplay content to public? No, not now!!!". As usual since the beginning of the project, it's hard to get a fair opinion with so few information.

It's either that or they still don't have anything "in motion" to present publicly...

Personally I think it's unfair to start blaming everything on Deep Silver, when this lack of proper communication has been a usual trend a lot time before they came into the picture.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Valascaziel » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:05 pm

Well, hopefully that is the case and Deep Silver plans to have a serious showcase for the game at E3. If I remember , last year Kingdom Come won a couple of show awards and it was with Deep Silver at the time.

Let's hope something comes, because if not this situation is going to escalate amongst fans and the press until there is no hope for them to please anyone.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III