How much say does Deep Silver have in the creative process?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

How much say does Deep Silver have in the creative process?

Postby Rikitatsu » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:42 am

I was thinking about the new logo and how Yu abruptly made a new one when they just recently told the fans they are reverting to the classic logo, it felt like the decision to abandon the classic logo was spurred by the Deep Silver partnership.

Then a thought crept up my mind, what if Deep Silver's influence extended beyond the marketing, and into the creative process? For example, what if they refuse the old English voice actors for Ren/Lan Di/Xuying because they're not 'good' enough? It's a possibility considering the amount of stigma associated with the original games voice acting, it might make sense for them to bring in fresh blood, provided they have the influence.

Personally, I loved the old cast, will be upsetting to see them not reprise their roles, especially since they were looking forward to it.

Anybody got an idea of what exactly is Deep Silver's role in the development?
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Re: How much say does Deep Silver have in the creative proce

Postby Centrale » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:05 pm

I think based on the available information, it was Yu Suzuki's decision to create a new logo. Deep Silver therefore is supporting his creative vision and not trying to impose anything on him.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Rikitatsu » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:27 pm

Centrale wrote: I think based on the available information, it was Yu Suzuki's decision to create a new logo. Deep Silver therefore is supporting his creative vision and not trying to impose anything on him.

It's hard to say, one could argue that after Deep Silver demanded a logo change, Yu designed the current logo as an alternative.

Assuming it's indeed Yu's decision without outside influence, then it begs the question why he decided to revert to the classic logo some weeks before the Deep Silver announcement? It's not like Yu to be indecisive...
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby gillian_seed » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:14 pm

I'm 100% sure that Deep Silver has no involvement in the creative process, and that includes the logo. There is no way any company would aprove that design, in terms of branding, that logo is just unnaceptable, and for that reason I think Yu Suzuki has taken full control, with no involvement of other companies. If Deep Silver had any influence in the creative process, that logo would have been discarted time ago. I don't even think it would have seen the light.

For better or worse, Shenmue 3 is free from big companies' constraints.
gillian_seed
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:51 pm

gillian_seed wrote: There is no way any company would aprove that design, in terms of branding, that logo is just unnaceptable

:rotflmao:

Harsh but true.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:35 pm

I'm also with Gillian and Yokosuka on this one. The new logo is so unbelievably ugly and unprofessional, there's no way any company would ever approve of it. So at least as far as the logo is concerned Deep Silver had no say.

I think it is due to Yu's delusion with "young people being unable to read cursive", wherever the fuck he got that from.

As for other parts of the game, I don't know how much clout Deep Silver has. I think it's save to say that a major investor always has some kind of influence on the final result, but I hope Deep Silver's influence is kept at a minimum.

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: SickOctopus
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby punkmanced » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:36 am

The new logo was most likely a George Lucas-style asspull.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:56 pm

I believe Yu has always said he'll hold a firm hand with publishers prior to signing any deal, especially where full creative control is concerned. I cannot see the Deep Silver agreement causing any major issues.

Sonoshee has received 2 thanks from: Kiske, Let's Get Sweaty
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Tosh » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:45 pm

Deep Silver is the publisher for games like the upcoming Kingdome Come Deliverance
and also Yakuza 0 + Kiwami + 6, Suda 51's Killer Is Dead, Dead Island, Persona 5, Shenmue 3 ...

I'm pretty sure they are not involved in the games artstyle process or anything like that.
Kingdom Come Deliverance is pretty much the same thing as Shenmue 3.
It started as a kickstarter campaign and then Deep Silver paid the rest to get the project going.
They had only one request and the request was that the Pc and console version had to be released on the same date.
Thats it.

So as long as they keep it "professional" at Ys Net, Deep Silver probably won't request anything.
Violence, sex, weird stuff or whatever is also no problem - look at Dead Island or the latest Yakuza games.
Nothing was censored or changed.
Tosh
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:25 pm

Deep Silver has beenSega's European publisher, since Sega Europe stopped publishing physical games like two years ago. This does not apply to Sega and Atlus games in other markets such as Japan or the Americas.

While I believe that it's wishful thinking, to hope Deep Silver, with millions of their Euros invested in the project, won't have any influence at all on the final product, Yu has always struck me as quite the stubborn type, which is a very good thing in this case. He ssems to me like a person that would have rather not signed any deal and instead made a smaller-scale version of S3 had Deep Silver demanded too much creative influence.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Return to Shenmue III