Kingdom deliverance proves that shenmue 3 can be masterpiece

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Kingdom deliverance proves that shenmue 3 can be masterpiece

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:07 am

the game was crowdfunded and released with a budget of 5 million dollar and it's setting the gaming world on fire. it's not perfect yet, but it does something so unique and is selling so well. imagine a lesser open world game with at least twice the budget under guidance of yu suzuki...

drunkensailor has received a thanks from: Kirino_Matsuyama
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Kingdom deliverance proves that shenmue 3 can be masterp

Postby Hyo Razuki » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:34 am

I read a lot about the game being buggy as fuck. But other than that, it seemed really interesting. I liked their approach of keeping the "open world" small in scale, but meaningful. Hope they can patch up all the bugs quickly.

Anyway, say what you will about Deep Silver but it seems them and Warhorse absolutely nailed the marketing with KcD. They shipped a million units in a week!

https://gamingbolt.com/kingdom-come-deliverance-sells-1-million-copies
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hazuki00 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:39 am

I've read as well some things about bugs in the game but in general it does have well critics.

I'm sure this is the time for Shenmue!
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby spud1897 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:24 am

I've read bits on this. What is the game about. A lot of the reviews say its good but buggy.
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Postby johnvivant » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:30 am

the game also contains 100's of hours of voice audio, which raises one's hope for full voice work in s3.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenmueTree » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:31 am

I was actually thinking a similar thing. But Shenmues world is gonna be much smaller than kingdom.comes which may be a negative.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Valascaziel » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:03 am

Yes, it will be smaller in scale but it's a different kind of game.

Yes, it is a buggy mess but I'm sure it'll be patched up in the next couple of months. It holds a Metacritic score of mid-70s even so, which is very impressive for a AA game from an unknown studio.

It is definitive proof that some Kickstarter projects can be a success. It's worth noting it was in development for almost 4 years, which will probably end up being Shenmue's total development time, assuming it gets delayed to 2019.

The acquisition of Deep Silver by THQ Nordic adds another layer of success percentage to me, as they could contribute funding in addition to DS. THQ needs some solid titles and supporting Shenmue III could go a long way.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:01 pm

Kickstarter-wise, Shenmue 3 is going to be a better critical success since Kingdom Come Deliverance did not even respect their highest stretch goals.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby mjq jazz bar » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:29 pm

I'm fairly certain they had way more than $5 million to burn in the end. I remember something about a big investor backing the game once they hit $1 million on Kickstarter.

Regardless, it proves we shouldn't worry too much about Shenmue III's budget. Same publisher and same origins (kind of). I think it bodes well.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby ShenmueTree » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:35 pm

It's published by Deep Silver, the same company that is publishing Shenmue 3. I imagine they had a similar deal where they provided Warhorse Studios (Kingdom Come's developer) with a significant amount of money like they did with YSnet (Shenmue 3's developer)
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Mr357 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:45 am

ShenmueTree wrote:I imagine they had a similar deal where they provided Warhorse Studios (Kingdom Come's developer) with a significant amount of money like they did with YSnet (Shenmue 3's developer)

Citation needed
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenmueTree » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:03 am

Mr357 wrote:
ShenmueTree wrote:I imagine they had a similar deal where they provided Warhorse Studios (Kingdom Come's developer) with a significant amount of money like they did with YSnet (Shenmue 3's developer)

Citation needed

There is no citation needed because I did not state it as fact. I said "I imagine" which means I just stated a personal theory, nor did I try to pass my own belief as true information.

Try again.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mjq jazz bar » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:59 am

I believe a Czech investor gave them a majority of their money once their Kickstarter succeeded. Deep Silver probably gave them a bit more as well.

Shenmue III's got Sony's, Shibuya's & Deep Silver's backing, as well as an additional Kickstarter pot of $6 or so million. I really, really think Shenmue III is in a very good spot--at least financially.

mjq jazz bar has received 2 thanks from: ShenmueTree, VukBZ2005
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:54 pm

Warhorse Studios has around 80 employees, most of which are veterans with experience making games for modern systems.

YS Net doesn't have the same type of manpower but I still expect a good experience from YS.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Jerid'sRamenShop » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:32 am

Shenmue 1 and I guess 2 (I never played 2 on the DC) pushed the limits of the DC as far as I am concerned. Other games I had bought afterwards barely held a candle to it in most regards. There were some other gems, but the majority did not and even those that did, I still believe Shenmue was basically their mascot or should of been anyway. (The 2K series was also phenomenal.) I doubt they will try to push the limits of the PS4 by any stretch of the imagination. Just as long as it is easy on the eyes and plays well we should be fine.
Jerid'sRamenShop
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue

Next

Return to Shenmue III