Have you sent mail to Sega?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Have you sent mail to Sega? (Total votes: 41)

Yes. Only once.
24%
Yes. Up to five times.
12%
Yes. Over five times.
20%
No. It wont help anything.
44%

Have you sent mail to Sega?

Postby LanDC » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:24 pm

I've decided to try and gather a rough ammount to just about how many of you have sent mail to Sega through Shenmue.com. Just to give me a better feeling on how the mail support is coming along.
LanDC
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Snoopbob2006 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:21 pm

I hope it helps becuase we have been waiting for shenmue III too long.
Snoopbob2006
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Snoopbob2005
XBL: Snoopbob2005
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby b_ren » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:29 pm

Yeah I belive it does help and I have done it way over 5 times, I'm sure it's what Yu wants us to do.... he needs to show evidence of demand for the game to start devopment.
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Postby jdub » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:57 pm

just keep sending mail to sega and it will come through.
jdub
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Silas » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:22 pm

I agree that if lots of people email/snailmail SEGA some kind of movement to get the next game might be started. But one person emailing a lot of times is a waste of time, because at the end of the day one person is going to buy one copy. And some people get offensive and very demanding in their emails and that reflects badly on the Shenmue fan community. Of course, there's nothing any of us can do to stop that, because even if we stopped everyone who logs in here that did that sort of thing, what could you do about rabid fans who don't even come here?

So overall I think an occasional email is worthwhile, but the same person writing several emails a day is counter-productive.
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby KiD » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:43 pm

is the emai;: [email protected] ? just makin sure
KiD
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Dreamcast-Daddler » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:45 pm

Hello,
I sent 2 to SEGA and 1 to SEGA.AM2 ... and always da same answer:"We don't know." ... :evil:
Dreamcast-Daddler

Postby Quadriflax » Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:19 pm

Silas wrote:So overall I think an occasional email is worthwhile, but the same person writing several emails a day is counter-productive.

You mean to tell me that signing an online petition 600 times is not a helpful thing to do!? Oh..my..god..

/sarcasm

Seriously, if you people want to grab someone's attention you need to organize something. I posted an idea a while back and no one even said a word about it. And it was good too. So, you can all continue to "DEMAND SHENMUE III OR ELSE I'LL KILL YU SUZUKI!!!!1!!1" or you can actually organize something halfway professional. The choice is yours.
Quadriflax

Postby rens of heavens » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:13 pm

I sent then 10 FUCKING e-mails saying to make shenmue 3 and a Dreamcast 2 did I get a reply from then no!!!
rens of heavens
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby SAM2 PS2 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:18 pm

I have written quite a few e-mails to Sega over the last year or so. Which I'll continue to do until we finally get our Shenmue III! :-)

Oh, and by the way, I totally agree Silas!

8)
SAM2 PS2
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sailorstick » Thu Dec 11, 2003 8:01 pm

Quadriflax wrote:Seriously, if you people want to grab someone's attention you need to organize something. I posted an idea a while back and no one even said a word about it. And it was good too. So, you can all continue to "DEMAND SHENMUE III OR ELSE I'LL KILL YU SUZUKI!!!!1!!1" or you can actually organize something halfway professional. The choice is yours.

Um, what was the idea? I haven't seen anything.
Sailorstick
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bluecast » Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:07 pm

Guess what it took to get Nintendo to Make another Metroid Game......Letters from us Gamers.

(but after 8 FUCKING years!!! :x )
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby SAM2 PS2 » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:45 am

BlueCast wrote:Guess what it took to get Nintendo to Make another Metroid Game......Letters from us Gamers.

(but after 8 F***ING years!!! :x )
Well Bluecast, you bring up a very good point! We all know that we've been waiting for an eterity (well, it seems like it at any rate) for Shenmue III to come. BUT, at least we have not yet had to wait as long as some people did for the new Metroid game!

Anyway, let us all hope that it won't take Sega THAT long to give us our beloved Shenmue III! ;)

Here's to E3 2004..... [-o<

8)
SAM2 PS2
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Quadriflax » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:02 pm

Sailorstick wrote:Um, what was the idea? I haven't seen anything.

It's buried somewhere in the archives. In short the idea was a mass organized mailing of some small item related to Shenmue. For example, putting your letter in one of those toy capsule thingies. Everyone sends on the same day to the same address and *wham* Sega has all these capsules or whatever with letters asking for Shenmue III. I went so far as to suggest a email list so everyone could be reminded of the mailing day in advance. This way there's time to get word around so people can sign up and pledge their intention to mail on whatever the chosen date. The letters would be hand written and individualized, to assure that they weren't just pumped out by a computer and mass mailed (like some people are currently doing...)

And no one cared. Why should Sega give a crap about "10 FUCKING e-mails saying to make shenmue 3 and a Dreamcast 2" that probably are full of gramatical errors and insulting language. It's just as easy for them to DELETE those "10 FUCKING e-mails saying to make shenmue 3 and a Dreamcast 2" as it is for you to type and send them. It's harder to ignore tiny little packages. If for no other reason than they have to figure out what to do with them. But you can all keep doing whatever and continue to bitch when you don't hear squat. At least this has a CHANCE of getting reported somewhere as an amusing news bit. Use this site as a focus point with details, send out word about the plan to gaming mags and post on other sites, and see what happens. That was my idea. And it will sink again admist all the "WHERE'S SHENMUE 3 DUDE!?! LOL !!!11! " posts.
Quadriflax

Postby Silas » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:12 pm

The reason, Quadriflax is if you have an idea like that it's pretty much up to you to organise it and get it done. Ref: Bjo Trimble, the woman who saved Star Trek. But, you know, that is a salutary lesson - snailmail letter writing campaigns from thousands of fans works very well, whereas as you say, Email campaigns are completely evanescent. Trimble and The Committee's letter writing campaigns actually cost NBC money to deal with. Under that sort of pressure they caved and renewed the show. However, they broke a scheduling promise to Gene Roddenberry (forcing him to quit as line producer in a tit-for-tat manouevre that turned out to be counter-productive), the quality of the show and the ratings went into the toilet and many of those involved in Star Trek were relieved when it was finally cancelled for good the following year.

So forcing a company to continue to make your product can be a two-edged sword.

Furthermore, here at the leading Shenmue-related site on the web, we have 296 members who (as a measure of dedication to the game) have posted 50 times or more to the forums. If there was a widespread network of fan clubs with fanzines and regular conventions, you could start a campaign which might lead to tens of thousands of letters going to SEGA. However, that kind of infrastructure seems to be absent.

I am not saying it's impossible, I'm merely pointing out that you have something of a mountain to climb. But I do think it's possible.

However, one post on a forum is insufficient. I think the campaign should start off on the website itself, with contacts made to all the other Shenmue-related websites, so that everywhere you get from typing Shenmue into Google, you'll find a link to the "Shenmue Letter-Writing Campaign", with full instructions on what to do, addresses, contact names, example letters, what not to write, plus other information like postal rates in various countries.
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Shenmue III