Sega Hints at Big Things: a lil. something....

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Postby Silas » Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:32 am

Incidentally, regardless of people's fears, it seems quite clear to me that SEGA are not making any concessions to Sammy's already declared intent to "encourage" SEGA to move towards Pachinko and away from console games. SEGA seem to be less worried about that than we are!
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby KiD » Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:38 am

Anyone think it may be possible that if Shenmue were one of those games, that they wouldn't call it Shenmue III, rather Shenmue with a subtitle, as in Shenmue: (insert subtitle)... as to encourage gamers who've never heard of Shenmue to buy Shenmue III by making them think it's a brand new saga that they can get into quickly
KiD
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Silas » Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:53 am

Er, no. Because as soon as you start playing it, it clearly isn't a brand new saga. That would be very detrimental - it would piss players off. You can do that kind of thing with self-contained games like GTA and FF, but Shenmue is the least self-contained game series in existence.
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby The_Intruder » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:00 am

but the good thing about this article is, it says expect to see beyond this 3 titles... Atleast that's a + right... I wonder what is that title to be turn into a series...
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Silas » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:03 am

But that's just the article's author then going on to talk about stuff we already know about from other hints, such as the MMORPG.
Silas
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Man Mo Something » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:30 am

Silas wrote:Er, no. Because as soon as you start playing it, it clearly isn't a brand new saga. That would be very detrimental - it would piss players off. You can do that kind of thing with self-contained games like GTA and FF, but Shenmue is the least self-contained game series in existence.

BUT... I think it's Sega's duty to make that possible. One should be able to pick up a game and have the previous story told in way that keeps the main game interesting. There can be dreams, flashbacks, and of course the opening 'digest' movie.

I've been supportive of the idea to drop the 3 or III from the title, because anyone who picks up the new game can become so absorbed and interested in the story that they'd want to hunt for and play the previous game(s) in the series.

That's why I hate the fact that Final Fantasies have numbers after them. They are not 'part VIII' or 'part XII'. They are completely new adventures with nothing related to the others. Except FFX-2 of course, but I still pronounce it "Ex Two" and not "Ten Two".

If a big budget movie can tell a story about one's past while keeping the current story as the main focus, so can a big budget video game.
Man Mo Something
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Re: Sega Hints at Big Things: a lil. something....

Postby JCA » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:47 am

The_Intruder wrote:http://ps2.ign.com/articles/463/463002p1.html

Sega Hints at Big Things
Company promises new titles for the year.

January 14, 2004 - Sources in Japan have revealed some of Sega's upcoming plans for the year. Judging by these reports, its seems that Sega has some big guns up its sleeves.

First up are three new titles. First is an adventure game with a world view that's never before been seen. Next is an RPG that Sega hopes to turn into a series. Finally, there are plans for a game based off a movie that's from a studio receiving lots of attention from Hollywood. These three games will be unveiled at a game show -- either E3 or the Tokyo Game Show.
The company has plans beyond these three titles, of course. You can expect a new massively multiplayer Online RPG bearing the Sega name at some point. Also, the company has some big plans for its Tsukurou series of sports titles. Finally, the end of the year should see the release of a big new title in a new genre in all three territories.

Vague hints, to be sure, but enough to get us excited about things to come. Will this be the year that Sega finally returns to its past glory? Stay tuned

This sounds interesting, doesn't it?

no.
JCA
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby The_Intruder » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:56 am

anyways.........................................................................................
1 2 3 4 5=
one two three four five=
uno dos tres cuatro cinco. lol.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby FeelinLuckyPUNK » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:50 am

Maybe there gonna re-release the shenmue franchise but with more things to do for eg.. having better control of the camera and being able to do anything. Sega cud then release it over all formats.
FeelinLuckyPUNK
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby b_ren » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:45 pm

No it won't be Shenmue 3.
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby adny2 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:36 pm

damn... you beat me to the post! i just read this news this morning and rushed here to post the new sega announcement...and damn....

kudos to you! :P
adny2
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Amin » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:31 pm

Na wont be shenmue 3. I'm getting the feeling now that sega WANTS to tell us something about shenmue as they know we're itching for the next installment but they have done absolutely nothing so there is nothing to say. They are choosing there words wisely and i'm sure dont want to mislead any further. This as said before, read anyway, sounds nothing like shenmue. Lets hope they start it quick.
Amin
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby jinsaotomex3 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:38 pm

I am getting to get that feeling that Shenmue III will be released in a next gen console.....>_< I really HOPE that it IS released on Xbox rather than some other next gen console.
jinsaotomex3
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby santino » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:35 pm

at least this is noise coming from sega
santino
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby KiD » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:33 pm

I re-watched that G4Tv Icons special on Yu Suzuki, and at the end it talks about expecting to see a new title that will completely change the way games are looked at today, something so groundbreaking and what not... this groundbreaking game might be that "new world vision" game that will be introduced soon
KiD
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III