What are you reading?

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: What are you reading right now?

Postby Spokane » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:31 pm

Last night I finished Dark Journey. Took 15-16 days. Pretty much around the time I was expecting. The story flowed extremely well and I didn't find it to lag at all like the one before it. Loved the authors writing and style. Too bad this is the only Star Wars book she's done, I would like more from her. Easily 5 stars. Not anywhere near as shocking as the last story, but plenty of interesting plot points and everything made sense and worked well. One thing I ruined for myself was throughout the whole book it's thought one of the main characters is dead, but I know he isn't, but it still didn't ruin anything for me, because one of the main charterers suspects he's still alive anyway. Pretty much in other words, the scene in the book where they feel him "die" through the Force and when they refer to him having died, didn't have me in disbelief or at least I knew he would be back later on in the series.

Next. The 11th book in the NJO series (out of 20). Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream. I suspect they call it Rebel Dream because they are referring to the New Republic as the rebel's, but I don't know for sure. Don't know about the Dream part though, maybe hope for the future, but that wouldn't be the way of the Jedi to look to the future.

Wedge Antilles is on the cover in his X-Wing, he was absent from the last story. This must mean the New Republic forces are regrouping and preparing an offensive against the invaders (after the loss of Coruscant), and he is just one of many experienced veterans called upon to help out in the crisis. Assuming that is him. Could be someone else that has a lot in common with him. But what else makes sense is Aaron Allston is the author, he wrote some of the X-Wing Series books, which focused on the Rouge and Wraith Squadrons and their exploits for a certain timeframe. So he is good at writing about space oriented combat.

Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby Res » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:56 pm

Good to know that there are fellow Star Wars fans here. I'll have to check out this site when I am ready to read some more Star Wars books. Currently, I am reading "Musashi." It's a great book about samurai, the entire trilogy into one volume, written by Eiji Yoshikawa. One of the best books I have ever read (it's my second time reading it now).
Res
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:31 am

Just ordered Batman: No Man's Land Volume 3!
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:17 pm

Just finished The End Of Mr. Y. Very good book, real page turner. Only downside was the dirty sex scenes, really were they necessary? I mean they were not the good kind, they were the kind to put you off sex forever! Only a female author can descripe sex so explicitly and disturbingly.

But dont let that put you off, it's really a good, fun read

Still can't beat metro 2033 though, I don't know what will *sigh*......
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Absentia » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:34 am

Absentia
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby LawXiu » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:26 pm

Just got this in the post today. Legend.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spokane » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:15 am

Onto the next one. Rebel Stand. Rebel Dream was pretty good, plenty of stuff to like about it. Strong start and middle, but the ending/last third was sort of boring or not as good to me. But that's ok because Rebel Stand will answer questions this one presented. And its about 60 pages longer.

But even the book covers in Japan are better! And more relevant to the story too. Luke is wearing a replica of the enemies armor as part of a disguise, which has to do with his mission to Coruscant which the enemy has conquered and is slowly destroying its planet wide city, you see the tall buildings in the picture. Along with two of the people that went along with him. The really ugly dude on the top right is a Yuuzhan Vong, the invaders. Han,Leia, and Wedge are main characters also. That Super Star Destroyer is the Lusankya, the New Republics biggest ship which they use a lot this last book and this one I guess, yes that's right, they use the Empires leftover technology and upgrade it in some cases, why not?

What I am saying is the Japanese cover shows more things relevant to the story, and that's true for a lot of other Star Wars Japanese book covers while the English version seems lackluster in comparison. You can see in the English version for this book Han and Leia in the Falcon in what looks like an enemy ship or something in a predicament, its not a bad cover, not as bad as some of them.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

Postby Brothaman » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:15 pm

Because Jim Crammer is full of shit.

Sometimes it scares me that I actually know what the hell this book is talking about.
Brothaman
Purple Reign
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Nordic Fortune » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:00 am

Lately I've been on a autobiography spree...first I read Jerry Seinfeld's, then Phil Rosenthal's (producer/director of Everybody Loves Raymond), then Bill Cosby's, and now I'm going through a book I picked up almost a decade ago, but never got around to reading 'til now:

XD. It's actually very interesting! It's a nice, fun, quick and easy read.
Nordic Fortune
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:21 am

Mick Foley's books are a good read. My brother picked up his first one. Can't tell you the name, but if you look it up it should be easy to find..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:54 pm

Goddamn... I JUST finished the book I started this topic with (Musashi). I had put it off for about a month, but then realized I only had about 40 pages left, so I got back into it the other day.
It's lengthy as hell (970 pages), but damned if it wasn't an excellent book. Among the best I've ever read, I'd say. Due to it's length, you really get to know all of the characters extremely well. It was almost like reading through a really good ongoing tv series. Only thing that made it a little difficult to read was all of the Japanese names and side-characters you have to remember, who will be in an early chapter, then pop up suddenly a couple hundred pages later after you've forgotten who they were. Not a problem with the book itself, though. It's just because I'm not a native Japanese-speaker.

Hey Ryudo, you said before you were in a bit of a Japan-mood right now. Maybe you should check it out.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:11 pm

Is it a historical read or fiction loosely based on history?
Not big on fiction but have been trying to find a way to get back in reading fiction. Been years. Something on Musashi does sound intriguing.

EDIT: Added to wish list. Rather a paperback though.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby OL » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:00 pm

Yeah, it's fiction, but it's thoroughly-researched fiction. Almost every part of it is based on either some sort of documented account, or it's a made-up situation inspired by Musashi's philosophies. It's a fictionalized biography, but it's only fictionalized because there's very little historical documentation to create a fully real biography for him. It's like they took all the facts available and filled in the gaps between them to make a complete story.

And yeah, I think it's only in hardcover, unfortunately. It's kind of a big chunk of change for a novel, but it'll last you a while. If you're interested in reading an epic over a long period of time, it works great for that, and you definitely get your money's worth.

Me, I think I'll be getting the 5-movie adaptation of it that was just released by Animeigo. It's supposed to be incredibly faithful to the book, and apparently this version is even more popular in Japan than the Toshiro Mifune versions.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:30 am

Ryudo wrote:EDIT: Added to wish list. Rather a paperback though.

I'm the opposite, I prefer hardbacks. Curly pages [-X
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Spokane » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:37 pm

I prefer paperback only because they are so much cheaper new. But hardbacks do hold together better.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic