Gaming thoughts of the day

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Postby Tuffty » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:49 am

It is the Square Enix approach no doubt. Funny, considering that Bioware said that FFXIII wasn't an RPG and then they released ME3.

I dunno, I loved the first 2 games, both created a sci fi setting worth getting excited about just for these games. Then the last game in the trilogy was fucked up badly. There are some high points in there, on par with anything the series has yet to offer but they're few and far between. I wasn't angry with it like a lot of others were, just disappointed.
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:56 am

Who Really Cares? wrote: Its a western RPG but no doubt the series has gone more to the 3rd person shooter route since EA came in.

Its also the weakest in the series and boy did i miss the Mako/Hammerhead. The new Bioware way, If something needs fixing simply remove it all together but keep scanning in because EVERYONE hated it.

Well its a game made in Canada, but that dosen't make it a western RPG, 3 in itself isn't much of an RPG at all.

But what makes a western RPG. I have Dark Souls and I create a character and battle enemies in a real time setting using the triggers to attack.

If you were seeing these for the first time would you really know which game is which?

Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:00 am

to break up the pace

Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:03 pm

Up until now, Monolith Soft have mainly worked with freelance staff, which was an arrangement better suited for the company, which was smaller during their days as part of Namco Bandai. Now that they’re under Nintendo’s wing, they’re looking to take a big step forward, they shared in an interview series published last year.

Monolith Soft plan on developing games for the Wii U, while working closely with Nintendo, but say they want to do it the right way. In order to do that, they’ll need the right people. Since this is their first time working on HD software, they’ve been ramping up their staff.

Monolith been on a heavy recruiting stage since opening their new studio in Kyoto, Japan. Their openings include programmers, designers, managers, planners and more, and they’re welcoming any people with knowledge and experience with Havok software to apply. However, they do have their criteria regarding what kind of people they’d like to have as part of the team.

Monolith Soft President, Tetsuya Takahashi, quotes regarding the criteria: “It’s quite common for a company to reject someone who only knows about games. We all have our preferences, but for us, I’d like to say that it’s the contrary. We’d most likely reject someone who doesn’t know his games. The reason being, we’d like to have someone who is as passionate about making games as we are.”

Takahashi adds: “Of course it would be troublesome if gaming is the only thing one were to know about, but it would be even more troublesome if they didn’t know anything about it at all. We’re looking for someone who can enjoy making the game he made with his company.”

Planner, Koh Kojima, adds: “A younger person would be nice. It’s okay if one doesn’t have any experience developing games, as long as they can come up with something interesting. Experience can easily come along the way, but creativity is different.” He adds: “Another big thing is being a skilled communicator. It’s an important skill to be able to express your ideas in a better manner.”

A key role they’re looking to fill is the Planner role. As far as Planners go, Monolith Soft currently only have people that have worked on non-HD games. As a result, they want someone who has the know-how and experience to plan out HD games. Someone who can make a huge and detailed map, and turn it into something that’s exactly the way they’d imagined it.

Regarding the planner role, Kojima says: “In the past, it wasn’t always possible to make something the way we envisioned. Sometimes a plan would be flat out impossible, or if we tried anyways, we ended up having something different from the original idea. We always had to plan things out accordingly. In the current gen, almost anything is possible, and we’ve been working on diversifying ourselves from the old mindset.”

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/21/wh ... LDhMr9b.99

Monolith is Hiring
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:52 pm

Oh I get where everyone's comin from, no doubt. Fact remains though, despite how much the shooting sections are played up, or how "dumbed down" the leveling system becomes, there has been no hugely game-changing alterations that shift the core focus of gameplay (which I believe has the perfect balance of action and adventure... not that the games are Action-Adventure)

Still, as long as it has those core elements, the series will remain an (Action) RPG. And c'mon Segata, that CoD comparison was pretty weak. By that logic you'd be saying that Shadow the Hedgehog is like Mirror's Edge coz it's a platformer with guns.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Bluecast » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:59 pm

Sonic Racing is an RPG racer then. At least Final Lap Twin was a real RPG racer. Fallout 3 is an RPG. ME3 is far from a RPG or best of the year. It's a fun TPS. At least what I played. Something can have RPG elements but does not make it a RPG.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:08 pm

Its an action RPG.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:11 pm

It's a TPS. If it's an Action RPG then so is Darksiders II
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:16 pm

If Mass Effect's a 3rd Person Shooter, then Pokemon's a turn-based battle game.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby mrslig100 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:19 pm

All the Pokemon's from the first two gens where brilliant.

mrslig100 has received a thanks from: wude
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby Bluecast » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:33 pm

Pokemon sucks
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Sonikku » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:35 pm

2 months of Xbox Gold service for $2. (you must only be a free Silver level member to qualify)

http://click.engage.xbox.com/?qs=f87b68 ... a3cef702f4
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:37 pm

Xenoblade's shit.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:38 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Xenoblade's the shit.

Yup but TLS is better
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Axm » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:51 pm

About to play Shenmue 1!!!!!!
Its been 2 years!
And im going to play it all in Japanese with the ntscj :)

Axm has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, Tuffty
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming