XBox One[80]

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: XBox One : DRM/24hr online policy gone.

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:21 am

You are quick to call one narrow minded, while others may think it describes you more. You can not prove your point any more than anyone else. But at least there are those that do not attempt to name call their way into trying to make a point. We'll disagree on some things, it's only natural and it's what I'm doing now, disagreeing. Call me "narrow minded" if you'd like, you have the right to. Opinions are not facts, and I'm fine with yours, even if I do not support it.

ShenmueTree has received a thanks from: Bluecast
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:06 pm

That escalated quickly... narrow minded idiots.
The argument that because something isn't a "need" therefore any price is justified, it's something I don't even expect from EA directors. The X1 innovative, groundbreaking, industry changing, cuttingedge, not available at launch concept... was nothing but a bad Steam rip off plus some stupid DRM restrictions.
Microsoft has NO ONE else but themselves to blame.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu has received a thanks from: Bluecast
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:38 pm

I think I'll still be getting a ps4, just mainly for the price and the cheaper online (at least for now). If shenmue 3 n HD would be released, my money is that it would be multi platform so it could sell as many copies as it can.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:50 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: That escalated quickly... narrow minded idiots.
The argument that because something isn't a "need" therefore any price is justified, it's something I don't even expect from EA directors. The X1 innovative, groundbreaking, industry changing, cuttingedge, not available at launch concept... was nothing but a bad Steam rip off plus some stupid DRM restrictions.
Microsoft has NO ONE else but themselves to blame.

Sega had the idea of a All in One system a long time ago, and it was a better idea than Microsoft's. It actually eliminated discs, instead of trying to force a digital distribution system on physical media.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/sega-and-p ... ox-2681885
Pics here
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread ... ones/page2
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonikku » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:13 pm

If I do have one regret over Microsoft not blatantly disregarding the feedback from the majority of their fans indefinitely, it's that those that actually did want to get rammed with the corporate cock for the sake of convenience will likely lament and bemoan the railroading that never was until the end of time. A part of me wishes Microsoft actually went through with it to either rise or fall under the (de)merits of the idea until the new business model became obviously unsustainable.

It reminds me of the Teepo situation in a sense. When he tried to come back, fully well swearing up and down he was all innocent and a man of impeccable character, I spoke out against allowing him to return. And I feel that was right, because I knew better. But in hindsight, if Yama had not allowed him to come back, I never would have heard the end of it from his supporters that were all insisting he was an innocent victim of circumstance, etc on the grand opportunity that was "blown". In a sense, showing people is better than telling. And only by letting people bear witness to the train wreck in practice is the topic finally settled.

Now that Microsoft has dodged a bullet before release however, we'll never get to see the disaster that was going to unfold on the Xbox brand. And we will continue to hear until the end of time now from those insisting this was going to be the most orgasmic thing to ever happen to gaming ever at the "squandered" opportunity. Oh well.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:39 pm

^ We were already shown DRM games in action and the outcry. Diablo III and Sim City
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Bluecast » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:16 pm

Sorry DP.

CDprojekt(Witcher dev) on DRM

CD Projekt Red’s The Witcher 1 & 2 have been at the technological forefront, pushing that envelope, and they’re set to do it all over again with The Witcher 3. However, there’s another frontline they’re equally known for, and that’s their fight against DRM. The studio has long been a staunch opponent of digital rights management. As a direct result, they’ve viewed by many as a trusted friend of the consumer.

Some would argue that they’ve paid a hefty price for such goodwill; CD Projekt Red has estimated that 4.5 million copies of The Witcher 2 have been pirated thus far. Still, their stance remains as strong as ever, though when it was discovered that the Xbox One would have its own DRM initiatives, a console that would eventually be home to The Witcher 3, many were confused.

I asked John Mamais, the game’s executive producer, about this, back when Microsoft’s new console was still going to require always-on Internet.

“We can’t control Microsoft’s business decisions, but we want to be on their platform, so we’re going to do our best to make awesome games for their platform,” Mamais replied. “At the same time, the PC version will remain DRM-free. That’s our policy, as a company. Those who are concerned can still purchase a copy through GOG.com.”

“There’s a lot of cool things about [Microsoft's] platform. Hopefully they’re going to do really well, and hopefully Sony’s going to do really well, and hopefully PCs are going to do really well.”

So, how did it feel for CD Projekt Red, one of the front-runners of anti-DRM, to see the the subject of DRM be such a hot topic at E3 this year?

“It’s kind of a recent phenomena, to take this DRM stuff off. We were doing it early on… we were one of the front-runners of it,” Mamais said. “And because we fought this war already, and carried that flag, you could say that it’s somewhat validating to raise the same concerns that we’ve done already.”

He elaborated: “It was a constant battle; during The Witcher 1, we went toe-to-toe with that game’s publisher, Atari, over DRM. Because of the feeling that, if there’s no DRM, it’s going to leak earlier, and sales will be lost.”

“I mean, it is kind of a valid opinion… I think both sides have their good arguments. But because I’m a gamer, I do tend to not to like the DRM stuff.”

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/21/th ... mdgva5X.99
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:22 pm

An addition to that, Witcher 2 had a limited DRM run and the majority of pirated copies were the SecuRom secured one.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Witche ... 42699.html
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:08 pm

phpBB [video]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:48 pm

I am interested in Below. I need to know more.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:22 pm

Sorry for double posting, but it seems like people have been getting emails that state the release date of XB1.

November 27th.

Media Markt said it would release the 26th in Spain... and they also said PS4 would launch Nov. 13th in Germany, so... they were close enough for me to believe it.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:57 pm

Would be no surprise at all if XBO and PS4 released black friday weekend.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:15 am

Phil Spencer said on twitter the dates are wrong or at least MS have not told any retailer the date yet.

Amazon seem to be the only one listing a date right now.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:16 pm

Quite like this cover

phpBB [video]

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: OL
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:17 pm

It's awful. :???:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming