Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby Raithos » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:23 pm

Oh no, I was saying Killzone was different, as in 1080p right off the bat, since it was made specifically for the platform. Where as BF4 was made for 3 different platforms, no actually 5 (ps3/360/ps4/xbone/pc) So it will be harder for them to fully optimize it for all 5 at once. One or more will always suffer. In that case PS3/360 got the worst (720p 30fps), where PS4/XBONE/PC all run at least 60fps on high settings.

Killzone is only 24 player max. The Frostbite 3 engine in particular is very demanding on the CPU which is why I made the comment earlier about future EA games. My 3570k is overclocked to 4.7Ghz, and during 64 player matches I get usage of 80-95% on all cores. But the actual CPU processing power of the consoles isn't as strong and they were hitting the limit quick. So to offset the processing power being used to run the game at high visual settings (which it is def on par with PC's) in 64 man battles they toned down the resolution to 720p and ensured a rock solid 60fps. Dropping the resolution from 1080p to 720p usually nets you a gain of 20-30 frames depending on the game. I watched an interview with johan andersson the technical director on Frostbite where he explained why they made the choices they did on the new consoles. He said it was either that or turn down the player count and they didn't want to do that.

Activision on the other hand has no excuse with Ghosts. There's no reason for it to be 720p when its the same engine being used on a more powerful hardware than ever before. That was just laziness on their part.

Yeah I agree on the yearly sequels, it's hurting the whole industry, especially the new consoles. Seems like no matter what it is these days you can expect a new one every year. And instead of new ideas being worked production resources get wasted on churning out the same game with a new story because people keep buying them lol. I'm guilty of it myself.

Raithos has received a thanks from: Axm
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby OL » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:57 am

I'm actually pretty happy that Assassin's Creed is yearly. Not as much time for bug testing or optimization or whatever, but any technical gripes I come across are eclipsed by the fun I have otherwise. I'm more concerned with content rather than screen resolution. And they've accomplished some amazing things under such tight deadlines.
Can't speak for other yearly franchises though. Call of Duty always looks pretty lazy for such a huge name in gaming, and sports games are, y'know... sports games. Optimized or not, most of them still seem kind of "eh."

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:18 am

Riku Rose wrote:
Who Really Cares? wrote: Go to my games and apps and it will show you the download/install %.

Yeah I see that.

Is there a way to even cancel downloads? I wanted to pause something to let something that wouldn't take an hour to download first but everything I pressed did nothing. My internet even cut out at one point and to restart the download I had to find the thing I wanted in the store again.

Also when I loaded Killer Instinct it showed the logo of the game for about 30 seconds before loading. The thing is that in the 30 seconds it took it twice went back to the dashboard as if I had pressed the Xbox button.

Highlight the dl and press the button that's replaced the start button and you will see option to cancel or push it to the front of the queue if you want to get stuff done first
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Kenny » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:09 am

Oh, another Killzone? Well that's ONE reason to get a PS4...eventually.

I'm on PS Home and there's a PS4 HUB where you can look around. If you play this little scavenger hunting game, you get free stuff. I just got a PSN code for a free game, Destruction Derby. I found out the other two free games are Twisted Metal and Warhawk.

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:05 am

A quick clip of mine from Ryse son of Rome. Should point out I'm only playing on normal on my first run.

phpBB [video]

And yeah I sort of forgot to block a little towards the end.

Game looks beautiful on my TV.

Who Really Cares? has received 2 thanks from: OL, Raithos
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:54 am

^^I know absolutely nothing about the game. Just curious, is it level-based or open-world?
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:55 am

The PS4 adverts are fucking ILL. If I bought products based on that shit, I'd already have one.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: OL
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:33 pm

Ryse is level based.

Word is a follow up is already being talked about and would be set in medieval England.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:58 pm

Raithos wrote:
Axm wrote:
Raithos wrote:
south carmain wrote:that said the PS4 is on par with current gaming PCs it will take a few years to get a better rig that doesn't cost $1000+ for the tower alone

My friends got a AMD cpu/mobo setup with a gtx 760 and he runs BF4 on high settings 70-90fps at 1080p, both consoles are only running 720p 60fps in BF4. They can't handle higher resolutions with the frostbite 3 engine without compromising graphic quality. That engine is being used in almost every upcoming EA title now.

My suggestion for EA is to work harder in the future. PS4 is running Killzone 4 at 1080p native and 60fps. The consoles these days can and will handle it. The rush job ports EA and Activision are putting out arent going to be an acurate representation of the years to come.

Yeah but Killzone is different, it was developed solely for the PS4. When it comes to multiplatform titles it gets hard to optimize three different versions of the game. It shouldn't be that way since the architecture is so similar now, but developers have said and shown in videos (even during microsfot/sony presentations) the majority of upcoming titles are being developed on PC first, then ported to consoles more so than ever now because of that.

@south carmain
the 760 is only 249 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130932, you can get a combo on the 8350 w/mobo for 299 so that's 550. I was assuming you already an old PC and were building a new one. case is whatever you want to spend, heres a psu for 35 bucks after rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817207013 ram for $55 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820148540 that's 640 plus a case and youll have a great PC. The case, psu and ram can be used again in your next build. Unless they somehow come out with super RAM in the next 5 years lol. I'm using the case, PSU and RAM from a build I did 4 years ago.

ah it's a bit more expensive here in the UK, the price for the GTX 760 is 200£ which is roughly 300$. you would probably have to add a hundred or so more here
Yes that's true for exclusives, which is why I play consoles for exclusives (and JRPG's lol). But a PC will always pull ahead in multi-platform releases since they are not developed for any single platform. I will be getting a PS4 in the future no doubt about that, I don't want anyone to take what I'm saying as bashing either new console. I'm just stating how I see it as a gamer and tech enthusiast.

well a more powerful PC can pull out more of the game you are right, however even for multiplatform releases when it comes to last gen you wouldn't be able to play a lot of games released multi plat on PCs with similar specs to consoles
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:52 pm

Sound kicks in at the start of the race.
phpBB [video]

Loving Wave Race and it should be better again human players. Guessing its on a easy setting and you can't change it.
Also the scanning mode isn't available yet. Kinect works really well and not just for this as its pretty useful on the dash and scanning codes.

All in all I'm impressed with the XBox One But at the same time its missing stuff. Some of it that always seemed basic on the 360.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:17 pm

Microsoft responds to disc drive error on Xbox One.

Microsoft says the problem is only affecting a small number of users, though it did not quantify that number any further.

Affected users have a couple of options, says the company. While waiting on a replacement console, Microsoft says it will provide users with a free digital download of one of the first-party launch titles (including Ryse: Son of Rome, Dead Rising 3 and Forza Motorsport 5). Customers also don't have to return their broken system first to get a replacement sent out.

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in ... 50019.html

Much, MUCH better response from them than what they did with the RROD error for 360. But I see people taking advantage of their good will there. :D
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Rakim » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:04 pm

phpBB [video]

Some cool stuff in here. Particularly the PS Vita reference had me going all "well damn!".

Rakim has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Raithos
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Jokatech19 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:02 am

I do not remember Lost Odyssey being this freaking hard! I'm at the end, trying to grind in the Temple of Enlightenment. Last time, I had no problem after a while, and I explored and even uncover almost all hidden items. This time around, I'm level 66-68 with everyone, and each battle is a death march still. And what sucks is that if I gut out a battle, I get next to no experience at all. WTF?! I'm just going to got to the last dungeon and kill Gongora. Done with this bullshit game!
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby south carmain » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:52 pm

was doing some shopping for stuff for my PSVita and noticed it's been selling quite a lot on some websites since tearaway was released (tearaway 2nd best seller on shopto and tearaway + PSVita wifi 5th best seller) hopefully it manages to keep this up
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:41 pm

Rakim wrote:
phpBB [video]

Some cool stuff in here. Particularly the PS Vita reference had me going all "well damn!".

we should all comment on his channel and make him do a fact surgery on the sega dreamcast or shenmue :-p
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming