upgrading PS4 HDD to..........????

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

upgrading PS4 HDD to..........????

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:01 am

I'll be buying a PS4 in january or early February (gotta get this Christmas crap done first) and i want to upgrade the HDD day one. when the PS3 first was released it had 20gb HDD. can you imagine that now? that would be horrible! i know that one day 500gb will be outdated and unrealistic so i want to tackle this problem immediately. what amount of storage do you think i should upgrade it to? i want to never have to worry about upgrading it again...1tb? 2tb? 5tb?
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: upgrading PS4 HDD to..........????

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:13 am

It has limits to the amount of space it'll recognise regardless what size drive you install. Find that ceiling before you purchase anything and waste your money..

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: Perfect_Chaos
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:26 am

Also I would wait for Solid State Hard Drives to get cheaper and with higher storage. imo the 500gb isnt alot, especially since its actually more like 408 out of the box.. but trust me, it should last you the next couple years until these SSD's get cheaper. Also PS4 does a good job with having you delete and redownload games because it keeps a place holder there in the library for when you want to redownload it again.

Axm has received a thanks from: Perfect_Chaos
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Cave Johnson » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:23 am

I've been thinking about this issue as well. We're all going to be SOL next year around this time. If someone buys ten digital games (some with 40gb install sizes) the hard drive is going to be capped, and I think the physical copies store a large chunk on the HD as well. IMO it will be worth upgrading if its 1.5TB or higher (and I think that's the max notebook hard drives are at right now). Hopefully hard drive technology will expand to increase storage space in the future.

Cave Johnson has received a thanks from: Perfect_Chaos
Cave Johnson
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: SHMUPS

Postby adson3492 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:17 pm

You know, the only stuff I played in that area were the kids board games growing up and that's it. But i've seen people play Magic the Gathering, D&D, and all those and it seems like alot of fun.
adson3492
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:31 pm

I agree with Chaos, I was quite surprised when I saw that the XB1's HDD was only 500mb, and even more surprised when I saw how much of that was taken up with just a few installs...
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:21 pm

i have only ever had a 40gb hdd in my ps3. i some how manage, but i always uninstall games after im done playing em, to make room for new games. i know that gets redundant after a while to do that and thats why bigger hard drives need to be implemented especially for ps4 since file sizes will only be bigger now. i just say keep your favorite games installed and uninstall the rest after you are done playing.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:49 pm

Since this is just the start of this gen (pretty much), and since the trend of just downloading everything to your HDD when you buy it online is already in a pretty strong swing, how did they not see this HDD size as a limitation? Especially since surely a HDD is one of the cheapest components in any system, especially when done in Xbox-scale bulk production, so even a 1TB drive would have been far more sufficient, and still cost effective?
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:59 pm

You should be able to upgrade to 4TB. Anything larger requires a bit of hacking to get the PS4 to boot with it connected.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Raithos » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:17 pm

The max you can upgrade to internally would be 2TB as far as I know because it uses a laptop 2.5" SATA drive and they are 9.5mm thick, the drive bay can fit 12.5 or so. There are laptop drives that are larger than 2TB, but most (not all) have additional platters that would make them to thick to fit in the PS4. But unless they have changed it since I bought mine in September, SONY doesn't officially support anything above 1TB. It's really a crap shoot if you try anything above that. I know two friends that used the same drive and their system only recognizes 1TB. Mine and several others have worked just fine though.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Axm » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:07 am

So Raithos you have a 2TB? Which brand did you get?
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:04 pm

Yep, I'm using a Samsung drive I pulled out of this Seagate External Backup. They sell the same drive separately but more expensive. I prefer to get it cheaper and remove it myself. Just be careful when opening it. Second link is just the drive. No clue why its so expensive by itself.
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backup-Po ... hard+drive
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus- ... e+Momentus

Raithos has received a thanks from: Axm
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:19 am

Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Raithos » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:21 pm

Yeah I saw that last week. There's no way I would add to the size of my console though, not to mention it doesn't really lower the price of an upgrade in anyway like they are saying. They are aiming to hit a $30-40 price point. Combine that with a $70-80 3.5 inch drive and you are paying more than you would for the laptop drive I linked above. No reason to buy that monstrosity lol.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:47 am

Id only get it if I had a spare 2TB lying around.. as if that would happen though.
Personally I really wanna go with a Solid State in a year or so. I see 500GB SSD's go for like $300 bucks these days. I hope to get atleast a 1TB SSD eventually for $150 or so. Dont know how long ill have to wait for that. Probably black friday 2016 the way these hard drive makers have progressed in marking down. Shit is arbitrary as hell. We'd all have SSD's with 10TB if the market demanded it. Instead we have to wait for them to trickle it out to us whenever they feel like making more money.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Next

Return to General Gaming