NEW MEMBER Xbox or DC, MY FINAL VERDICT.

(Chapters 3-6)

Re: NEW MEMBER Xbox or DC, MY FINAL VERDICT.

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:14 am

Urn*

And I'll be havin a coffin made out of the original Xbox controller. There'll be room in there for the missus too. Not enough for my penis though...
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Balzak802 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:54 pm

I played and beat both versions and as much as I love the Dreamcast, I would have to give my hats off to the Xbox version. Simply because the English voice acting made it a more enjoyable time. I know some of you out there say that the English voice acting was horrible but I thought it was pretty good. Maybe that is because I played Shenmue so much that I got used to the voice acting in Shenmue 2. Also, Disc 4 or the forest area is the main reason why I say the Xbox version is better. Just because my eyes got pretty tired after reading so much text from that scene and looking down on the Dreamcast version but on the Xbox version, I just had to sit back, relax, and just listen while enjoying the nice scenery.
Balzak802
Asia Travel Representative

Postby shredingskin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:37 pm

The problem with English VA is not only that is bad (really some NCPs have the weirdest voices EVER), but is technically bad specially in SIIx. I don't know how, but they recorded some sounds like shit, you can hear all the background noise, different quality recordings and uneven sound volume, as bad as it gets. I really like the voice of ryo tough.

For me the best "version" today is playing on a dreamcast emulator, HD, less load times, you can speed it up if you want, widescreen, and won't crash as much as DC.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Master Kyodai » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:09 pm

Fully agree on the VGA box definitely nice. On my 40 inch full HD sony it didn't really look ace but on my 24 inch TFT it's really pretty nice, definitely much nicer than on my old CRT.

The audio is a mixed bag i feel. Personally i think the main characters voices are pretty nice. However i would not say "English voices are better" or "Japanese voices are better". For some of the Shenmue 1 characters i personally think the English voices are better in Shenmue 1 - Lan Di and Chai definitely sound "more authentic" in English and were imho brilliant picks. Some others were rather poor. In Shenmue II some of the "unnamed random NPC" are especially poor in the English version, others were just "far off" in the Japanese version. But in the end it's just a matter of taste, not like you could measure the quality of voice acting in numbers or so.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mue 26 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:03 pm

Two reasons why Shenmue's English VA rocked

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuz8qtgXRuE[/youtube]

His accent definitely sounds like the weirdest mixture of Indian, Japanese and Jamaican. Or as I like to say, he sounds like an Indian man doing an impression of a Japanese man who wishes he was Jamaican (the Jamaican tones sounding the least authentic of the three). Still, I always thought it fitted his crazy personality and appearance quite well. Tom even looks quite like he's an Indian guy with dreads.....so maybe it was all deliberate and he's really a very skillful VA after all :shock: We need to get that guy on the forum.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuI4JM5Ad0I[/youtube]

One tells him to go "Jerk off", and the other one calls him a "twit" (!) and threatens to "slap him silly". I think Shenmue is the only game ever to have the word twit in it! But boy, these Japanese school girls aint nothing like in the anime, they're way more thuggish :lol:
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:35 pm

As much as I don't like the VA in Shenmue. I prefer English as I'm just to lazy to read. :P (Tho I like visual novels) However just be nice to have the option of both. Then I'm sure like other games that offer it I would play in both modes.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby mue 26 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:55 pm

Yeah, I would like the option too. But to be honest , I know what you mean about the subtitles in a way. I think Shenmue is still a really good looking game so I like to appreciate the visuals in cut scenes and what have you. Usually it's not a big problem as the dialogue is usually pretty slow, but ideally it is better to appreciate the scenes without the distraction. It's the same reason why Miyazaki recommends people watch his movies in dub rather than subs, though it is obviously much more of an issue with his films, due to the natural speed of dialogue and the almost insane amount of animated motion that can be packed into a scene.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby STE C » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:05 pm

Bumping this thread for people curious about vga.
STE C

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: S2

Postby Yama » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:33 pm

STE C wrote: Bumping this thread for people curious about vga.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46774
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:51 am

Sonikku wrote: Dreamcasts always seem to fizzle after a couple years and start booting you back the system ui. It's not for every game though, packed discs like Shenmue can give my Dreamcast trouble while discs like Soul Calibur work just fine.

that's like the easiest problem to ever solve. all you need to do is bend back the pins underneath the powe button and it works like a charm again.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:54 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: I'm not ignorant, I just don't know Japanese, so I have to read the subtitles, which means that although the quality may be better on the Dreamcast, you miss a lot of it in the cut-scenes because my attention's on the bottom of the screen. So, if anything, your post shows complete ignorance of common sence.

sounds like you are in fact ignorant. if you read that slow I guess the xbox version is the best version for you.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:26 am

drunkensailor wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: I'm not ignorant, I just don't know Japanese, so I have to read the subtitles, which means that although the quality may be better on the Dreamcast, you miss a lot of it in the cut-scenes because my attention's on the bottom of the screen. So, if anything, your post shows complete ignorance of common sence.

sounds like you are in fact ignorant. if you read that slow I guess the xbox version is the best version for you.

Oh my lordy lulz.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Previous

Return to Shenmue II