Angry Videogame Nerd: The Movie

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Angry Videogame Nerd: The Movie

Postby Kenny » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:49 pm

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/avgn

Finally released on VOD! Will see it sometime today.

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Re: Angry Videogame Nerd: The Movie

Postby OL » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:03 pm

I'm... kinda shocked. That actually doesn't look half bad.
When Happy Console Gamer came out with their movie, even just watching the trailer made me gag. So I expected the same of this.
But no, it actually looks entertaining. Wouldn't mind seeing it someday.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:30 pm

I'm about 40 minutes in. It's okay so far, there are a couple of funny jokes here and there but it's really campy overall. I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise since it's basically a high-quality version of his webseries. But the animation is really good, i'm actually surprised how good it is.

I'm holding off for my scenes, ultimately.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:51 pm

Did you get to meet the Nerd while doing your robot scenes?
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:33 am

I met him during those scenes and the scientist scenes.

Totally nice guy, but he's extremely shy. It was kinda awkward at first (I was a bit starstruck having seen him as the Nerd for years) but eventually he opened up. But he's one of those guys who is way more comfortable with people he's known for years.

I finally see they used all the scenes I was in!

I'm the scientist on the right.

Scientist in the back.

And finally the robot in the middle with the horizontal visor and black body which is also in the trailer.

Yeah I only get facetime in one scene but that's alright. To know i'm in a cult film is good enough for me.

Kenny has received 3 thanks from: OL, Sonikku, ys
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:26 pm

Watched it. It was pretty meh. Not really worth the wait in my opinion. It did have a few funny parts, but they were sadly all spoiled by the trailer. I think the thing I liked the most were the cameos. :P (I can now say I've seen some of Kenny's work!) It seems a pity that motherfucker Mike is such an integral part of AVGN, yet he has little more than a 5 second non speaking role in the film.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Kenny
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:17 pm

That's the most common complaint I heard, because the people they cast as the sidekicks just didn't have any chemistry with Rolfe.

Problem is Mike doesn't like traveling or really being on camera (supposedly anyway, he's on camera alot now). But had they just had the two of them and make the Nerd not as beloved in his world, it would've been a much better movie. Just seeing the two of them on the webseries is a joy in and of itself, it was pretty foolish they didn't go that route.

I would love to invest in the next film but only on the condition I have some say in it. I don't think this film really played the character up or did anything interesting with him in any way.

What I would do personally is make the Nerd a complete loser that no one likes who makes these game reviews but they don't get any attention online (complete contrast to how he's received in real life), and have him get in a crazy adventure with a lone crazed fan who pressures him to do it (who is quite possibly his only fan). When you do that, it'll make the Nerd more sympathetic and therefore we invest in his story more. We already like him, put him in the pits and revolve the jokes around that.

I'd definitely base it on the SwordQuest episode, make him find all the missing items and wrap an absurd plot around them that's appropriate to the camp of the webseries but have it played up theatrically to justify its cinematic existence (like Indiana Jones-like traps and expeditions to gain the missing items). If we can't get Mike, we have to get someone who has chemistry with Rolfe.

Kenny has received 2 thanks from: OL, Sonikku
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby mrslig100 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:11 pm

Kenny wrote: I met him during those scenes and the scientist scenes.

Totally nice guy, but he's extremely shy. It was kinda awkward at first (I was a bit starstruck having seen him as the Nerd for years) but eventually he opened up. But he's one of those guys who is way more comfortable with people he's known for years.

I finally see they used all the scenes I was in!

STUFF!

Yeah I only get facetime in one scene but that's alright. To know i'm in a cult film is good enough for me.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT YOU WHERE IN THE AVGN MOVIE!!!?
WHATS THE STORY I NEVER KNEW YOU KNEW HIM

Also I have been waiting years for this film to come out!
It really was not what I expected but needless to say I FUCKING LOVED IT!
He was one of the first people to influence my life on the internet and I still remember to this day when I first saw Bugs bunny's birthday blowout.
Bravo Rolfe! :mrgreen:
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby Kenny » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:09 am

I didn't know him beforehand, I donated to the film and one of the perks was to be in the movie. So I met him, his wife, and the other guys who were producing and co-directing (including Kevin Finn who plays the Glitch Fairy). I basically made a contact and I actually hope to follow through with a proposition to him in the future (doesn't have to be an AVGN film, it could be a horror film).

They did a premiere here in LA and I could've gone, but I decided to wait for the digital release.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Return to Off Topic