Assassin's Creed Series

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Assassin's Creed: Unity (PS4/XB1)

Postby NewMyles » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:09 am

Axm wrote: I heard it makes you download a ubisoft app or sign up for their website in order to complete certain missions. Thats kind of a pain in the ass and not my idea of a smooth experience.

Ugh, that sounds like a mobile game or something.
NewMyles
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby OL » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:00 pm

Aw, man. Just finished Rogue, and I gotta say, the ending has a really cool link to Unity.
It's good if you've seen the first several minutes of Unity to get the full effect of it, but it's a really great little tie-in. Sort of an "oh shit" moment, and I love stuff like that. Despite whatever problems I'm hearing about the game, this sort of thing definitely makes me more keen to dive into Unity whenever I get the chance. I've heard Unity's narrative is a bit dull compared to others in the series, but I like what Ubisoft is doing with the overall story anyway, so I want to see where it goes.

And on that note, with all the complaining that Unity is getting, people really ought to give Rogue a try. It retains a formula already established in Black Flag, but the overall feel of it is incredibly different, not to mention the fact that it's apparently much more solid than its next-gen counterpart. I don't think it's beaten Revelations as my favorite in the series, but I'm very tempted to say I actually like it more than Black Flag (which is a shock to me, as I usually enjoy tropical settings and pirate characters more than stuff like colonial clashes and arctic waters).

OL has received a thanks from: Oppy
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Oppy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:30 pm

Good to hear you were happy with Rogue man! Im keen as mustard to play it myself, since Black Flag was my favorite game of the series. Im holding off for no other reason then Im hoping a PS4 version will be announced soon.
It would make sence for them to release it on ps4/xbo but only after Unity hype dies down.

And Unity is still pretty great from what I have played, I have only played roughly an hour of the single player and havnt encountered any of the glitches other then the framerate drops on the PS4.
Cant say much about the story since i didnt get to play enough to judge, but all the new gameplay elements are pretty solid and the massive open world Paris with all its buildings, crowds and scenery feels very immersive. If you can look past the frequent frame skipping the game is pretty awesome.

Looking forward to playing through Rogue soon.
I'll buy it after Christmas if theres no indication of a PS4 version by then.

Oppy has received a thanks from: OL
Oppy
Aussie cunt
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: with your mums titties

Postby Axm » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:41 pm

My bet is Rogue for PS4 will be out by Summer. Ubisoft needs to get a follow up to Unity by the end of 2015 to keep the money flowing. And they would be complete idiots to make the same mistake twice by releasing two AC's at a time again.

I'll probably still play Unity first though as it'll drop in price before Rogue PS4 comes out, that and Unity will be fixed to where it should have been.

Stupid how I even have to think about all that. You cant just buy games anymore and expect the best out of it on day 1 or if I need to wait for a better version.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby OL » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:45 am

Axm wrote:And they would be complete idiots to make the same mistake twice by releasing two AC's at a time again.

Why do you say it was a stupid move? Do you mean because of the glitches and whatnot in Unity? Because that definitely wasn't the fault of resources and time being used on Rogue; from what I've read, Unity was actually in development for a long time beforehand anyway. Apparently they started on it just after ACIII or something like that (probably working on Paris, mainly, and later adding the story to work with it). So time and resources wasn't really the problem.
The only stupid thing I can think of is the fact that Rogue ended up utterly buried under the hype of Unity; most people didn't even know it existed. When I bought it, even the cashier at the store had no idea there was another AC being released the same day.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:51 am

Yes I ment its stupid in that its been completely burried by Unity. Splitting possible sales and splitting incentive to buy a new gen console for the more expensive game it was to develop.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby OL » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:54 am

Yeah, so there's that.
Still, it was kind of a special case anyway; the whole point of them releasing two games is so they had something wholly new for those who own the newer consoles, as well as something "secondary" for those who still haven't made the leap forward (that would be me). I don't really see any reason for them to release multiple games at once like this anytime soon, as by the end of next year the PS4 and XBox One won't be as new anymore, so the idea of them "leaving anyone out" so to speak won't be an issue. So next year it'll probably be back to normal again. One series, one game.

Though if I'm honest, having beaten Rogue now, I really wouldn't mind a side-series focusing on Templars. It really was a cool little journey, playing that other side.
OL
Shenmue III

Re: Assassin's Creed Series

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:10 pm

Looks like next year's game has been leaked. Wouldn't surprise me if Ubisoft has done this themselves to try and take the press away from Unity's problems.

Next year's Assassin's Creed game will take place in London during the 19th century, Kotaku has learned thanks to an early leak. Farewell, Napoleon; hello, Jack the Ripper?

This new entry in Ubisoft's annual open-world action series, slated for release in the fall of 2015, will take us through the dirty back alleys and rattling stagecoaches of London during the Victorian era, a historical period that fans have wanted to see in an Assassin's Creed game for quite some time now. This new Assassin's Creed game is called or code-named Victory—like Victorian!—and it will be out next year for PS4, Xbox One, and PC, according to a person familiar with the game.

Victory is something of a shift for the series in a few ways. For one, this is the first Assassin's Creed game helmed by Ubisoft's Quebec studio, as opposed to their primary Montreal office, which has led development on the biggest Assassin's Creed releases since the first game in 2007. Earlier this year, the Ubisoft Blog teased that Quebec would be heading up a future game in their annualized series, but they didn't say much more about it. This is that game.

We also hear that this will be the only main Assassin's Creed next fall—unless something changes, we won't see two separate entries like we did this year with Unity and Rogue, according to a person familiar with goings-on at the company. Next year, Assassin's Creed is sticking to current-gen platforms and seemingly leaving the Xbox 360 and PS3 behind.

Riku Rose has received 2 thanks from: OL, Oppy
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby south carmain » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:34 pm

How many recent assasin's creed games have been released? For someone who doesnt keep up with gaming news all these titles popping up are very confusing. Also AC in London looks awesome, I was kinda hoping for an east asian setting but the heart of the british empire at it's height is just as good in my opinion.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby OL » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:26 pm

Niiiiice. Those shots look awesome. And is it just me, or does the graphical style look ever so slightly more stylized than Unity? It kind of reminds me of the separation in visual style between the original game and ACII. Probably won't be quite as large a change, but it's a change no less.
They're also moving much further forward in time than I would have expected, which is a nice surprise.

south carmain wrote:How many recent assasin's creed games have been released? For someone who doesnt keep up with gaming news all these titles popping up are very confusing.

Eh, it's not that confusing. This day and age, all it takes is a quick internet search and you can be completely up-to-date with all of the titles and how they're ordered. No different than Harry Potter's title scheme; all words, no (or in this case, few) numbers.
And with the exception of this year, it's usually just one game released per year, so it's not like it's five games in as many months or anything. "All these titles" are pretty well spaced-out as it is.

south carmain wrote:Also AC in London looks awesome, I was kinda hoping for an east asian setting but the heart of the british empire at it's height is just as good in my opinion.

It seems like everyone pines after an Asian-themed AC game. And I get it, since there's a lot in those cultures that could be easily tailored into a videogame (and already has been, as it happens). But for the AC series, I understand why they haven't gone that route thus far. For one, as mentioned, it's already pretty well-tread ground. They tend to try for less-covered settings (in terms of action-adventure games, at least) as much as they can, so most Asian stuff isn't really their thing. And while I can easily envision, say, a Chinese setting working (there's already a prominent Chinese character in the lore anyway), something like Japan just wouldn't work in my mind. In a lot of these Asian cultures, there was a sense of conformity in the clothing and styles of the times, and I have a hard time imagining them working the classic hooded look into a place like Japan, without going full-on ninja mode... which is just way too predictable.
I could totally go for an Asian setting a little further ahead in time though. Maybe hit the early 1900s or something, and I could see it working then. But at the same time, they've also tried to keep the time periods earlier than the invention of things like cars, for example, so I dunno.
It's hard to predict the settings for these games anyway though, so it could really go anywhere after this.

EDIT: Nice little side-note, it looks like Ubisoft are going to release the planned DLC for Unity, "Dead Kings," for free as an apology for all the bugs and whatnot.
http://kotaku.com/ubisoft-apologizes-fo ... 1663768202
Cools beans. Extra content whenever I get a PS4 and the game.
OL
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:50 pm

^i was referring to this year exclusively. When browsing online stores i see deals for stuff like freedom cry, rogue, unity etc and it's difficult to tell at first glance how many games they recently released or what is dlc for previous games. The fact that they usually just release one game periodically is what makes the current releases confusing really.

As for the japan i think it could be done if they stick to port cities like nagisaki or yokohama which were used as trading ports with the west so had quite a bit of western influence.

Edit: also colonial hong kong could work or the century of humiliation in mainland China. In fact i think the century of humiliation could go perfectly with the whole templar vs assasins theme
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Axm » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:25 pm

They really do need to go to Asia eventually. In Japan, Tokyo, Kyoto and Nagasaki.
In China, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing. Those settings would get me back into the series.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Calshot » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:47 pm

There are a whole lot more countries in Asia than just China and Japan. While those 2 are overrepresented in games, the rest of them are hardly represented at all. They've set up India and Russian settings in the comics. The hood, though iconic, isn't really a hard requirement since we've had a few hat-wearing protagonists.

Calshot has received a thanks from: OL
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby south carmain » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:03 pm

Personally i find the russian far east and siberia incredibly boring especially during that period of history and east asia is still much more interesting to me than the Indian subcontinent. That said though true China isn't exactly rare in video games, representations of it that aren't mythical or hong kong are. which is also a reason why i would love to see an assasin's creed game set during china's century of humiliation. I wouldnt be against a south east asian setting either though, vietnam, thailand, cambodia etc could be interesting.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Raithos » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:16 pm

I think Laos would be one of the best Asian settings possible
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue