Shenmue 3 Marketing

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Shenmue 3 Marketing

Postby craigbarker » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:15 am

First of all hello, I'm new to the site but I've been a part of the Shenmue500K for a while and have loved the games since my first time playing Shenmue at around 6/7 years old.

It is my belief that we should treat ourselves as an extension of the marketing for Yu/Shenmue 3 and whilst it's all well and good to have us each, individually spread the word we would gain more from moving as a team. These are a few ideas to help achieve that and raise more funds.

gaming sites

I have seen much confusion across websites like Gamespot and IGN, people are confused about the platform switch, about the sony-funding and about the game in general. We need to remedy all that negativity with positivity and we can do that much better as a team than arguing with comment after comment on our own.

If we systematically choose a site each day and focus our attention on it (again, all of us) then we will get heard. We need to flood the comments section with positive views on Shenmue, with responses to the negativity without losing our shit and with links to the kickstarter.

We also need to be smart about this. There is no point in filling up an xbox one or wii u article with Shenmue links. Focus our attention on PC and PS4 articles - when it comes to PS4 focus on the fact SONY helped revive the franchise, play on fanboys feelings towards Sony and convince them to check it out. Tackle not only the Shenmue-specific articles but go onto other e3 announcement articles and recent articles and say something along the lines of "this looks/sounds interesting but have you guys seen Shenmue 3?" with a link to the kickstarter.

I can't stress enough how much we need to do this together. Non-shenmue fans outweigh Shenmue fans and one or two comments will get lost in the sea of "what is it?" or "it doesn't look good." That's why I'm suggesting some sort of system where we focus on a different site each day.

31 days of Shenmue - twitter, instagram

31 days of Shenmue (despite it having like 27 days left) could be a movement in which we all post (around the same time) the hashtags #saveshenmue #31daysofshenmue #shenmue3 on those sites mentioned above with pictures and videos of Shenmue gameplay. On Instagram you have # pretty much any number of things. So do the hashtags then add random hashtags so it goes into other feeds. #games, #cute, #fun, #sony #sega, #ps4, #bestgame, and so on.

one post a day from 24,000 of us (roughly the number in 500k) would make people see us.

Let's play Shenmue1/2 - twitch, youtube

Anyone who has even the slightest following on those sites should be doing a lets play of one of the older shenmue games now. (I know everyone doesn't have free time but even a few videos during this period would help) It's a brilliant way to get people interested if they cannot afford the now sky-rocketing previous games. These let's plays can be shared across facebook and twitter easily.

Working as a team

I've stressed it already but actually having some organisation and doing things at the same time or at least, in the same day will get us heard a lot more than random comments here and there on articles. Again - I know not everyone has as much free time as others but doing something like 31 days of shenmue on instagram would take a few seconds to snap a picture of something Shenmue related or just a picture you find online.

I really believe having some sort of order to the chaos will help. Having a timetable-like approach to articles and gaming sites will get us heard.

Anyway, I hope someone notices this. Let's #Saveshenmue

craigbarker has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Upper Dave
craigbarker
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: craigorton
XBL: monkeyprinceort
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Re: Shenmue 3 Marketing

Postby rome » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:32 am

craigbarker wrote: First of all hello, I'm new to the site but I've been a part of the Shenmue500K for a while and have loved the games since my first time playing Shenmue at around 6/7 years old.

It is my belief that we should treat ourselves as an extension of the marketing for Yu/Shenmue 3 and whilst it's all well and good to have us each, individually spread the word we would gain more from moving as a team. These are a few ideas to help achieve that and raise more funds.

gaming sites

I have seen much confusion across websites like Gamespot and IGN, people are confused about the platform switch, about the sony-funding and about the game in general. We need to remedy all that negativity with positivity and we can do that much better as a team than arguing with comment after comment on our own.

If we systematically choose a site each day and focus our attention on it (again, all of us) then we will get heard. We need to flood the comments section with positive views on Shenmue, with responses to the negativity without losing our shit and with links to the kickstarter.

We also need to be smart about this. There is no point in filling up an xbox one or wii u article with Shenmue links. Focus our attention on PC and PS4 articles - when it comes to PS4 focus on the fact SONY helped revive the franchise, play on fanboys feelings towards Sony and convince them to check it out. Tackle not only the Shenmue-specific articles but go onto other e3 announcement articles and recent articles and say something along the lines of "this looks/sounds interesting but have you guys seen Shenmue 3?" with a link to the kickstarter.

I can't stress enough how much we need to do this together. Non-shenmue fans outweigh Shenmue fans and one or two comments will get lost in the sea of "what is it?" or "it doesn't look good." That's why I'm suggesting some sort of system where we focus on a different site each day.

31 days of Shenmue - twitter, instagram

31 days of Shenmue (despite it having like 27 days left) could be a movement in which we all post (around the same time) the hashtags #saveshenmue #31daysofshenmue #shenmue3 on those sites mentioned above with pictures and videos of Shenmue gameplay. On Instagram you have # pretty much any number of things. So do the hashtags then add random hashtags so it goes into other feeds. #games, #cute, #fun, #sony #sega, #ps4, #bestgame, and so on.

one post a day from 24,000 of us (roughly the number in 500k) would make people see us.

Let's play Shenmue1/2 - twitch, youtube

Anyone who has even the slightest following on those sites should be doing a lets play of one of the older shenmue games now. (I know everyone doesn't have free time but even a few videos during this period would help) It's a brilliant way to get people interested if they cannot afford the now sky-rocketing previous games. These let's plays can be shared across facebook and twitter easily.

Working as a team

I've stressed it already but actually having some organisation and doing things at the same time or at least, in the same day will get us heard a lot more than random comments here and there on articles. Again - I know not everyone has as much free time as others but doing something like 31 days of shenmue on instagram would take a few seconds to snap a picture of something Shenmue related or just a picture you find online.

I really believe having some sort of order to the chaos will help. Having a timetable-like approach to articles and gaming sites will get us heard.

Anyway, I hope someone notices this. Let's #Saveshenmue

I will continue to help out as much as possible via Twitter and social media. As far as gaming site's go, we should come up with certain sites to focus on, such as Sony related etc.

Whatever helps reach out to newcomers to Shenmue I'm all for it. We are The Team here, welcome to the dojo.
rome
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:37 am

The best way to advertise Shenmue is to make a series restropective explaining what made it so special and spread it around.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Upper Dave » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:40 am

:-k

Personally I like the idea of banding together to focus on commenting on one popular article per day. Gamers form their opinions based on what other gamers say. They are sheep. So if they see us dispelling Shenmue myths and saying positive things about the game all over the internet then they will carry those thoughts, and it'll encourage them to play the HDs when they are released.

I'm in, craigbarker. If you post a reply with a new article link each day, I'll come in and help spam it with positivity.
Upper Dave
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: Darth Moncalf
Steam: Mooncalfian
Currently playing: DA: Inquisition

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:55 am

Should get the word out to people who are no longer into games, who were fans of Shenmue. There will be plenty of those. I think pretty much everyone who is a fan of games already know about the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter, what with it being at the biggest gaming conference on the planet. Those who don't follow gaming news anymore, on the other hand? Now, there's a gap.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:59 am

I said it as a joke at first but messaging people who like Shenmue on Facebook would work. People may like Shenmue but might have never gone on IGN or Gamespot in their life. Someone could set up a Ryo Hazuki facebook profile and just send everyone on the Shenmue Facebook page a message explaining the kickstarter.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Upper Dave » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:03 am

Henry Spencer wrote: Should get the word out to people who are no longer into games, who were fans of Shenmue. There will be plenty of those. I think pretty much everyone who is a fan of games already know about the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter, what with it being at the biggest gaming conference on the planet. Those who don't follow gaming news anymore, on the other hand? Now, there's a gap.

Completely agreed. I hope the Dojo organisers send out a mass email before it's too close to the deadline.
Upper Dave
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: Darth Moncalf
Steam: Mooncalfian
Currently playing: DA: Inquisition

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:06 am

Unfortunately, all of the email addresses from former members on here will no longer be valid, pretty much - some of these people haven't logged in to the Dojo in over 5 years! I'll still try to coordinate with Yama, the admin and other Dojo staff to send mass emails out to people who in the off chance still use these ancient email addresses. You never know, I guess.

The amount of people funding needs to go up.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Axm
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby craigbarker » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:03 am

Upper Dave wrote: :-k

Personally I like the idea of banding together to focus on commenting on one popular article per day. Gamers form their opinions based on what other gamers say. They are sheep. So if they see us dispelling Shenmue myths and saying positive things about the game all over the internet then they will carry those thoughts, and it'll encourage them to play the HDs when they are released.

I'm in, craigbarker. If you post a reply with a new article link each day, I'll come in and help spam it with positivity.

Thanks! As of writing this (20th) this is an article on IGN'S homepage bound to attract a lot of attention. I think everyone should go and flood it with positive Shenmue comments!

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/06/16/igns-best-of-e3-2015-awards
craigbarker
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PSN: craigorton
XBL: monkeyprinceort
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Return to Shenmue III