Relationships in Shenmue III

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Relationships in Shenmue III

Postby GoldenLotus » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:04 pm

Should they start having some focus in Ryo's love life in Shenmue 3? Who would he be with? Should the possibility of same-sex relationships happen like what Nintendo is doing with Fire Emblem Fate? I
think it would be pretty interesting, especially bringing in the LGBT community. Imagine being able to pick between Joy, Ren, Shenhua or Gui Zhang?
GoldenLotus
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Re: Relationships in Shenmue III

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:08 pm

GoldenLotus wrote: Should they start having some focus in Ryo's love life in Shenmue 3? Who would he be with? Should the possibility of same-sex relationships happen like what Nintendo is doing with Fire Emblem Fate? I
think it would be pretty interesting, especially bringing in the LGBT community. Imagine being able to pick between Joy, Ren, Shenhua or Gui Zhang?

Shenmue Mass Effect edition.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby KidMarine » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:09 pm

The last thing I want is Shenmue to turn into a dating sim!

Unless you can date Xiuying.

KidMarine has received a thanks from: Nahovil
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:01 pm

Sounds like that might be what the rapport system could be going towards? Depending on what choice you make and all that, BioWare style.

KidMarine wrote: The last thing I want is Shenmue to turn into a dating sim!

*sigh* Kind of of a hypocrite, aren't ya. It's okay. Xiuying is your waifu. That lady sure does have a lot of fans.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Miles Prower » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:07 pm

GoldenLotus wrote: Should they start having some focus in Ryo's love life in Shenmue 3? Who would he be with? Should the possibility of same-sex relationships happen like what Nintendo is doing with Fire Emblem Fate? I

Erm, no? Ryo isn't a 'blank slate' character like the ones in Mass Effect, Fable and similar games (and I assume this latest Fire Emblem?). We control some of his choices, true, but something like this would not be in the spirit of Shenmue IMO.

Miles Prower has received 2 thanks from: Hyo Razuki, Thief
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987

Postby Thief » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:11 pm

Either Ryo is gay or he isn't -- none of this PC everybody needs to be included crap.

Thief has received 4 thanks from: Himuro, Hyo Razuki, Miles Prower, NeoShredder
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hyo Razuki » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:23 pm

1st question) No.
2nd question) That really depends on the story, but love life shouldn't be a focus.
3rd question) No. See Miles Prowers' post for the reasons. And the LGBT community is already in Shenmue ---------> Yuan and Dou Niu.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Reprise » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:33 pm

Definitely not. Ryo being consumed by revenge has been central to his, admittedly rather bland, personality since the beginning. I don't think Ryo is capable at finding love or getting close to a girl at this point and I personally think it, possibly, could cheapen the overall story. Just look at how Hollywood films always have to force a love sub-plot into movies, it's not something I would personally like to see in Shenmue.

I think how love and Ryo's relationships have been handled so far has actually been perfect, with him getting so close to girls (Nozomi), caring deeply for them, yet also being so distant. He doesn't want to get too close to anyone, because he knows that those close to him could be hurt by his own quest for revenge.

Reprise has received a thanks from: Miles Prower
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby 7heavens » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:56 pm

I think he will fall in love with shenhua. Destiny did not allow a relationship to flourish betwenn ryo or nozommi/joy. Suzuki wants d player to also get emotionally attached to shenhua hence the reason for the deep conversation system he's been planning and had in mind for years.

What if ryo gets very attached to her.... But then at the end she ends up dying and leaves us all on an emotional shock!
7heavens
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby GoldenLotus » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:11 pm

Thief wrote: Either Ryo is gay or he isn't -- none of this PC everybody needs to be included crap.

Why not? What if you find out Shenhua is genderfluid or Lan Di is gay? It wouldn't effect the story at all. Big whoop! Try to be more open-minded, friend.

GoldenLotus has received a thanks from: Reprise
GoldenLotus
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Hyo Razuki » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:51 pm

GoldenLotus wrote:
Thief wrote: Either Ryo is gay or he isn't -- none of this PC everybody needs to be included crap.

Why not? What if you find out Shenhua is genderfluid or Lan Di is gay? It wouldn't effect the story at all. Big whoop! Try to be more open-minded, friend.

That doesn't fit in the game, bro. :) There was no "PC" in 1980s China and Japan. :) Also, Shenmue shouldn't give you choices like that, come on.

Plus, you said it yourself: It probably wouldn't change anything about the story, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:47 pm

+1 To stop all the pc bullshit.
Ryo is not gay, its not a blank state. And Nozomi is the only love interest for him yet.
I dont care about lan di or shenhua we dont know anything of them yet.
These new wave of wrpg makes the character a nobody makes me mad, you cant get any real character development.

shredingskin has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Hynad
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Glorious_Basterd » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:10 pm

KidMarine wrote: The last thing I want is Shenmue to turn into a dating sim!

Dat BOOTY
Glorious_Basterd
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Himuro » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:14 pm

Miles Prower wrote:

Erm, no? Ryo isn't a 'blank slate' character like the ones in Mass Effect, Fable and similar games (and I assume this latest Fire Emblem?). We control some of his choices, true, but something like this would not be in the spirit of Shenmue IMO.

Not that I don't agree, but there's a precedent for non-blank slate character making choices like this, such as Geralt in The Witcher.

Reprise wrote: Definitely not. Ryo being consumed by revenge has been central to his, admittedly rather bland, personality since the beginning. I don't think Ryo is capable at finding love or getting close to a girl at this point and I personally think it, possibly, could cheapen the overall story. Just look at how Hollywood films always have to force a love sub-plot into movies, it's not something I would personally like to see in Shenmue.

I think how love and Ryo's relationships have been handled so far has actually been perfect, with him getting so close to girls (Nozomi), caring deeply for them, yet also being so distant. He doesn't want to get too close to anyone, because he knows that those close to him could be hurt by his own quest for revenge.

Am I the only one who doesn't find Ryo bland? Stoic would be my word.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Thief » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:22 pm

GoldenLotus wrote:

I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. Ryo is either gay or he is straight. I don't want his sexuality to be a variable that can be changed at the whim of the player merely to arbitrarily include some sort of demographic. I don't care about political correctness -- and I don't care about anybody feeling as though they're properly represented in any game. How about instead of everybody in the world constantly associating themselves as belonging to some sort of group (be it gender, sexuality, race, religion, et cetera) they instead chose to see themselves as being an individual -- an individual who happens to have a gender, sexual-preference, race, and religion -- but an individual nonetheless.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Next

Return to Shenmue III