In all of this can't we atleast give a thumbs up to Sega?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: In all of this can't we atleast give a thumbs up to Sega

Postby Amir » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:33 am

Colonial Marines was Gearbox pulling a fast one on Sega. Other complaints are valid, though.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby Three Blades » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:35 am

Future is literally just a dumbed down version of the original with an inferior soundtrack, inferior art style and levels far too big so you just end up wandering around for 90% of the game.

This.
And the controls still work great, in fact, 3 months ago I played it again for the first time in years and had no trouble at all.
I remember that in Future, they didn't even have the big graffitis that you draw by making movements with the thumb stick. When I played it, I was like, WTF, this isn't even a real Jet Set game.

What a disgrace.
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jackie Fhan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:43 am

I'm surpirsed at all the JSR talk lol, not a bad thing. I sort of liked that game quite a bit and did play it but I did get a little tired of it after a while.

I really wish we could get more games like panzer dragoon and star fox.... rarely happens.

Hopefully indies can pull through more

I just wish sega would actaully make some sort of arcade emulator and just make the games look decent on a wide screen like they did with daytona. I'd so buy the crap out of so many games.

The problem with publishers they haven't learned how to release a ton of games and release them reasoanble. You don't put them up for 19.99 or even the 5.99 ps1 games.

You get better quality emulation and tons more games and actually advertise it a bit. Then, price it at 1.99

I can't see so many people running after games when they are playing them for free on emulation software..
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Jak , Sly Cooper, Many..

Postby Monkei » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:07 am

Guys, really? I mean it's been ages since I last played JSRF, but I remember loving it. And thinking of it as a perfect and superior sequel (actually more of a remix than a sequel) to the first game. I'd really like to play it again and double check on that impression. What you guys call dumbed down, I'd still call 'more fluid'. It's easier to pick up and I thought the game benefited from that. Plus the soundtrack was incredible. Birthday cake anyone? No? :D

As for SEGA, I didn't really mean to express anger towards them by using such harsh words. I just think they're shit. Like Nickelback. Or Uwe Boll. Fuck these guys, because fuck shit. Nobody likes shit :p
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

In all of this can't we atleast give a thumbs up to Sega?

Postby Yama » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:35 am

KeiyaE315 wrote:
Yama wrote: JSRF was no JSR, but it was solid. VF5, VT3 were also both super solid.

JSRF was in every way better than JSR.. more precise and much more fluid controls and gameplay, an equally as good, if not better soundtrack, better optics, better stages, better bossfights, better everything. All in all simply a better game than its predecessor. Did you play the hd version of JSR? it's still good, but the controls haven't aged all too well. I would imagine a remastered JSRF to fare much better there.

VF5 also was more than super solid I think, but I'm not really an expert there.

Other than that, yeah, Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed were awesome for their fan service, and super solid gameplaywise :)

Concerning the thumbs up to sega, the 2015 sega, - just no. It's great they gave yu the license and all, but no. Fuck them.

I didn't know super solid, meaning pretty much as good as it gets, is an insult.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:47 am

Smilebit would've made an incredible Sonic. I don't know why that never happened.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby LucBu » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:02 am

Hey Jackie,

I will forgive Sega if they finally contribute to something for once in their lives. Perhaps if they liquidize their company and give all assets to the Shenmue Kickstarter with a message like, "We were wrong all along. Our brains don't work so good. Kill Lan Di for us guys, he represents the darkness in our souls and we don't even deserve to see the final QTE where Ryo does a 2150 degree back flip and pelvic thrusts Lan Di's head off." On that day, I will personally carve the headstone over their communal grave and write:

SEGA, what a great bunch of guys and gals.

You know I actually heard a story about SEGA that made me chuckle. Apparently, when a Skies of Arcadia fan sent in a fan letter asking them to reboot or continue the series the President of the company, or some other executive, personally replied with something to the effect of: We'd only screw it up. We can't make good games anymore. You don't want that. :rotflmao: I need to find that article.
LucBu
Master of the Three Blades

Postby freakycritter » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:05 am

We all can think some good games made by ex-Capcom employees, ex Konami, ex-Square etc.

But ex-Sega suits have been dissapointing, Neilo, Artoon, Q?...nobody really trumped their ex employer like Treasure and Platinum did
freakycritter
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Himuro » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:38 am

KeiyaE315 wrote:
Yama wrote: JSRF was no JSR, but it was solid. VF5, VT3 were also both super solid.

JSRF was in every way better than JSR.. more precise and much more fluid controls and gameplay, an equally as good, if not better soundtrack, better optics, better stages, better bossfights, better everything. All in all simply a better game than its predecessor. Did you play the hd version of JSR? it's still good, but the controls haven't aged all too well. I would imagine a remastered JSRF to fare much better there.

JSR is the same game it ever was. How many times have you played JSRF? Once? Twice? I've beaten it once, loved it, never went back. How many times have I beaten JSR? One time I beat it three times in one day. I've lost count at this point. JSR is a much better designed, much better sounding, much better playing game than Future. I love Future, but it requires the game skill of a child. JSR is a much more refined game that requires much more from the player in the way of thinking, adjusting to mechanics, planning, trial and error. It has tension, requires skill, and is just generally more fun than Future. I love Future, but it took everything good about JSR and made it more boring.

Also, the people who say "JSR's controls haven't aged well" are usually people who suck at JSR, no offense. It has always had a learning curve. Which is much more than I can say for JSRF, which has no learning curve at all.

Himuro has received 3 thanks from: KidMarine, Three Blades, Yama
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Jackie Fhan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:22 pm

I don't really blame sega for not making shenmue 3. I don't think it would have made them money in that current time and situation.

I would blame them for not getting good developers to make good sonice games.

I blame them completely for the horrible sonic 4. That is one of the things that did twist my heart completely. After seeing the visual style and physics of that game I knew it would be terrible. So many people told me to wait and see but the writing was right in front of me. Such a horrible game. I can't forgive them so much for naming that turd sonic 4

Should have named it "it's sonic but if you liked sonic on the genesis you should stay far away from this" FAST!
Jackie Fhan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Jak , Sly Cooper, Many..

Postby Monkei » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:24 pm

Maybe I took your use of 'solid' the wrong way, Yama. To me JSRF always felt exceptional, which might have been the reason for me feeling the need to come to its defense here.

JSR's controls and mechanics can frustrate, in some parts of the game at least. When those police or military choppers start chasing after and shooting at you for instance. I'm pretty sure I can differentiate between challenging and unfair, and JSR can ocassionally feel a little unfair and annoying I think. Just a little. I think I played through JSR once (maybe twice?) on Dreamcast and once on PS3. JSRF once on Xbox. Didn't really feel like playing it again after JSR PS3, I'd much rather get a remastered JSRF. But maybe this is me getting old and starting to prefer relaxation over stress in games. Or maybe it's just a matter of personal taste.

Anyway, it's great to see so much love for the original JSR on here. :)
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:52 pm

Maybe if SEGA revealed they would help development or funding, people would be more willing to say "thank you".
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:04 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Maybe if SEGA revealed they would help development or funding, people would be more willing to say "thank you".

They should make some Shenmue pachinko slot machines to raise money.

Wude-Tang Clan has received 2 thanks from: Henry Spencer, Yama
Wude-Tang Clan

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:10 pm

That'd actually be a good idea and something I can see them doing nowadays.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Yama
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Previous

Return to Shenmue III