Random Thoughts

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Axm » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:55 am

St. Elmo's Fire wrote:
PILMAN wrote:Call it a minor annoyance but it really sucks when someone assumes that somehow I am some rich banker with connections to good jobs or have some sort of dual loyalty and that I need to prove more so than the average American that I am legitimately American or set apart as some sort of exclusion

Fuck those people, seriously. You are who you are, you have no choice in the matter but life is TOO SHORT to waste on "proving" yourself to people...

Axm has received a thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby south carmain » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:38 am

PILMAN wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PILMAN wrote: I guess this is a random thought. I've grown tired of constantly hearing about the Israel-Palestine conflict and things about Jews on social media/youtube/yahoo answers/reddit or personal forums I visit, etc. It seems that particularly in the United States, ethnic background is still a big issue and somehow those perceived differently are not viewed as "American" as others. Unfortunately not really something I can ignore, my last name is uniquely and specifically of Hebrew origin which translates to Priest, unfortunately I've discovered that due to my mixed ancestry (German Mother (convert to Judaism)/Jewish Father), i'm not really fully accepted by Jews, but at the same time i'm not fully accepted by Germans or what not either.

Call it a minor annoyance but it really sucks when someone assumes that somehow I am some rich banker with connections to good jobs or have some sort of dual loyalty and that I need to prove more so than the average American that I am legitimately American or set apart as some sort of exclusion because I represent in someones eyes the issue or problem going on in the world. I've explained this and summed it up that it's strange that when someone says they are religiously a Jew, people say it's a ethnic or racial background. When people say they are a ethnic or racial Jew, they are told it's just a religion, yet if I claim to be from some random European country, I can't possibly be from there because Jews are viewed as foreigners from those countries historically.

I suppose it's been something that's bothered me for a while as I'd rather not be judged by who my ancestors are or seen as any less of a person, sometimes our own family can treat us worse than our own enemies and being hated by both sides creates problems. We shouldn't have to be apologetic or be forced to make an opinion on something based on what another individuals actions are.

Despite being a gentile, I know that feeling in a different way.

Being white, but not really considered white. Being hispanic but not really being considered hispanic. It's a bit of a mindfuck and confusion that is only exacerbated when cultures clash and conflicts dealing with countries we have lineage with start getting into political turmoil.

Thank you for understanding, it can really suck at times mainly because I grew up where people would generally say "well I am Italian" or "I am Sicilian" "I am Irish"

If it makes you feel any better in Europe we just consider them American and find it funny that they still claim to be from here despite their families immigrating to the US generations ago and them themselves having only known the USA.

Also Ironically I'm pretty sure that many of them are mixed with all sorts of other European nationalities like most Americans and are just cherrypicking the heritage they prefer to identify as.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Sean » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:43 am

Speaking of ethnic/national tensions:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 99544.html

He has been equally attacked and praised on social media since this took place. Pulis, his boss at West Brom where he is a new signing, has reportedly told him to tone down his 'Anti-English' behavior.
Sean
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Sandbox
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby south carmain » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:51 am

Sean wrote: Speaking of ethnic/national tensions:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 99544.html

He has been equally attacked and praised on social media since this took place. Pulis, his boss at West Brom where he is a new signing, has reportedly told him to tone down his 'Anti-English' behavior.

Kinda silly considering that the troubles ended 17 years ago but then again he is from Londonderry where people are a little intense...
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby PILMAN » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:18 pm

south carmain wrote:
PILMAN wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PILMAN wrote: I guess this is a random thought. I've grown tired of constantly hearing about the Israel-Palestine conflict and things about Jews on social media/youtube/yahoo answers/reddit or personal forums I visit, etc. It seems that particularly in the United States, ethnic background is still a big issue and somehow those perceived differently are not viewed as "American" as others. Unfortunately not really something I can ignore, my last name is uniquely and specifically of Hebrew origin which translates to Priest, unfortunately I've discovered that due to my mixed ancestry (German Mother (convert to Judaism)/Jewish Father), i'm not really fully accepted by Jews, but at the same time i'm not fully accepted by Germans or what not either.

Call it a minor annoyance but it really sucks when someone assumes that somehow I am some rich banker with connections to good jobs or have some sort of dual loyalty and that I need to prove more so than the average American that I am legitimately American or set apart as some sort of exclusion because I represent in someones eyes the issue or problem going on in the world. I've explained this and summed it up that it's strange that when someone says they are religiously a Jew, people say it's a ethnic or racial background. When people say they are a ethnic or racial Jew, they are told it's just a religion, yet if I claim to be from some random European country, I can't possibly be from there because Jews are viewed as foreigners from those countries historically.

I suppose it's been something that's bothered me for a while as I'd rather not be judged by who my ancestors are or seen as any less of a person, sometimes our own family can treat us worse than our own enemies and being hated by both sides creates problems. We shouldn't have to be apologetic or be forced to make an opinion on something based on what another individuals actions are.

Despite being a gentile, I know that feeling in a different way.

Being white, but not really considered white. Being hispanic but not really being considered hispanic. It's a bit of a mindfuck and confusion that is only exacerbated when cultures clash and conflicts dealing with countries we have lineage with start getting into political turmoil.

Thank you for understanding, it can really suck at times mainly because I grew up where people would generally say "well I am Italian" or "I am Sicilian" "I am Irish"

If it makes you feel any better in Europe we just consider them American and find it funny that they still claim to be from here despite their families immigrating to the US generations ago and them themselves having only known the USA.

Also Ironically I'm pretty sure that many of them are mixed with all sorts of other European nationalities like most Americans and are just cherrypicking the heritage they prefer to identify as.

Yeah, I think a lot of it is identity politics and attempting to feel unique or special in some way. I hear a lot of Americans claim "well my great great grandma was a cherokee indian", I am just kind of rolling my eyes.

PILMAN has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Bambi » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:37 pm

Bambi has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Kenny, St. Elmo's Fire
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:04 pm

^ :lol:
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:12 pm

So um... where the hell has OL been? It seems he has vanished about half way into the kick starter. Hopefully he will be back soon.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:54 pm

The documentary i've been working on, David Choe: High Risk is being promoted now.

Currently working on a promo that features an artist we couldn't fit in the final doc, Mr. Brainwash from Exit Through the Gift Shop.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Bambi
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Thief » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:13 pm

So why was QWERTY (aka Shenmuedabest) banned this time?
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:20 pm

We don't need to keep checking if it's cool with you guys every time we ban people, ya know? He got banned...for reasons. That's that.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:11 pm

Hate to say it, but I called this weeks ago and everyone attacked me for being so harsh on him when I was honest to god just trying to protect this place... It doesnt really matter what he did, probably similar things to the last how ever many times he got banned. I wanted to think that maybe he had actually changed, but I realize this: its an unrealistic expectation to think that people are going to change, especially trolls.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bambi » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:30 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: We don't need to keep checking if it's cool with you guys every time we ban people, ya know? He got banned...for reasons. That's that.

I don't think Thief was suggesting that moderators obtain permission from members before issuing any kind of ban or infraction, I think he was enquiring as to the reason behind it. That's not so unreasonable is it?

Bambi has received a thanks from: south carmain
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:02 pm

I know why he was asking, I'm just saying...asking that kind of question out in the open is not the way to do it, is all.

AnimeGamer183 wrote: Hate to say it, but I called this weeks ago and everyone attacked me for being so harsh on him when I was honest to god just trying to protect this place... It doesnt really matter what he did, probably similar things to the last how ever many times he got banned. I wanted to think that maybe he had actually changed, but I realize this: its an unrealistic expectation to think that people are going to change, especially trolls.

AnimeGamer, you're officially on my shit list until you quit your whining and go back and pick up the controller and finish that dungeon in Nier and finish the game. [-X

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: AnimeGamer183
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:05 pm

I think the reasons are pretty obvious :P
Sonoshee