Do you believe in English dub massive improvement ?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Do you believe in English dub massive improvement ?

Postby strider16 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:15 pm

I played it only on Dreamcast, american S1 and euro S2, and heard a bit of other versions on yt.

I know Ryo as a bit stoic, sometimes he shows his emotions, but not all the time. I felt that some acting could be better, specially Nozomi -and Ryo too, specially when talking to her - , since she loves him too much. I know that she must sound shy and all, but the english voice is even milder than the japanese one!

So, for S1, the english voice acting IMO only adds in experience and emotion, not being a masterpiece but not half bad too, and miles ahead any other games at the time.

As for S2... I never played it dubbed in english, but it seems that the actors had only sparse phrases and some emotional accent note, but no actual scene seeing, so my impression in the videos is that almost all dialogues are very artificial.

I will watch this interview, seems interesting.
strider16
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Portal Stories: Mel

Postby Bambi » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:23 pm

strider16 wrote: I know Ryo as a bit stoic, sometimes he shows his emotions

phpBB [video]
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby strider16 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:49 pm

Bambi wrote:
strider16 wrote: I know Ryo as a bit stoic, sometimes he shows his emotions

phpBB [video]

Yeah... see how his voice suddenly differs? It is almost as they record a language audio class, with the same syllables all the time for different words and phrases. The S1 VA was good, but for S2 looks terrible in all minor dialogues I have seen. Listen to this guy... :-k
strider16
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby strider16 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:58 pm

It reminds me... here in Brazil, producers got local singers to dub some chars, a guy in this last Battlefield, and Sonya in MKX. It seems that producers only gave "actors" a paper sheet with some phrases and said "just read out loud." This is a case of producers screwing all, and singers with no experience in dubbing, making the VA terrible.
In Shenmue, it seems that in japanese AND english, they got good voice actors, but the producers for english were not careful for S2 as for S1.

This is a hard task for S3. Should they ask for actors more than one voice? Change the pitch for cloning voices of minor npcs? Dubbing just important chars, and let others voiceless? How much all this will cost, in file size and investment? Listen to the Shenmue Premiere video, Suzuki-san was taken by surprize by the size of voice files...
strider16
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:16 am

Yu needs these guys:

Moving from GTA 4 to GTA 5, Rockstar North wanted a story that would feel more mature. Not in terms of the violence, Morton insists (GTA has always been supremely violent), but in terms of feeling and tone. He flew to LA for recording sessions with hundreds of actors. Directors from Rockstar would have the "talent" in the booths, holding the scripts Rockstar North had produced.

"Given the fact GTA 5 was so big, it would be difficult for somebody who hasn't had a history in games of that size to just jump in and make something that big," Morton says.

"Me overseeing the dialogue for so many past GTAs, I had a better chance than most of making GTA 5's dialogue a success. I'm really pleased that came off. It's a genuine highlight of my career to have been involved in that."

Authenticity was a big part of GTA 5's design. So, for the video game gang members, voice actors who were previously real life gang members were hired. "They had turned their lives around and become actors," Morton says, "which in LA does happen.

"They'd look at the script and sometimes say, 'I wouldn't say that.' And we'd give them the freedom to make it their own."

One of GTA's more controversial - and long-standing - elements is the ability to pay for sex with prostitutes. It's been a staple of the series for years, so much so that the shock value has kind of worn off at this point.

For Craig and Will, though, it never got any easier to record a prostitute's dialogue. "There are a lot of people in the control room," Conner says. "There's the actress, being very professional, she's doing her lines and everything, and then, like, 'yeah, could you just give us a...'"

"We need something to sound very slurpy," Morton interjects.

"And now if you could just imagine you're getting - I'm thinking of a nice word to say - you're having sex with your client," Conner says. "It just goes from bad to worse. And it's so embarrassing."

Will Morton has a loftier ambition: "I would love to work on bringing Shenmue back to life," he says. "I'm genuinely a big fan of Shenmue 1 on the Dreamcast and Shenmue 2 on the Xbox. I would love be able to help re-envisage that for the next gen."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... nteresting

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Gen
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Steenkoud » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:35 am

This was the main reason i enjoyed the Japanese versions. The English dub is so ridiculous. It is the one thing that is haunting this game for years.

I SEE

Now i bet Yu Suzuki realises this and we will see much improvement for Shenmue III
Otherwise the game will get CRUSHED by critics for it......

Steenkoud has received a thanks from: Gen
Steenkoud
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Gen » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:15 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Yu needs these guys:

Moving from GTA 4 to GTA 5, Rockstar North wanted a story that would feel more mature. Not in terms of the violence, Morton insists (GTA has always been supremely violent), but in terms of feeling and tone. He flew to LA for recording sessions with hundreds of actors. Directors from Rockstar would have the "talent" in the booths, holding the scripts Rockstar North had produced.

"Given the fact GTA 5 was so big, it would be difficult for somebody who hasn't had a history in games of that size to just jump in and make something that big," Morton says.

"Me overseeing the dialogue for so many past GTAs, I had a better chance than most of making GTA 5's dialogue a success. I'm really pleased that came off. It's a genuine highlight of my career to have been involved in that."

Authenticity was a big part of GTA 5's design. So, for the video game gang members, voice actors who were previously real life gang members were hired. "They had turned their lives around and become actors," Morton says, "which in LA does happen.

"They'd look at the script and sometimes say, 'I wouldn't say that.' And we'd give them the freedom to make it their own."

One of GTA's more controversial - and long-standing - elements is the ability to pay for sex with prostitutes. It's been a staple of the series for years, so much so that the shock value has kind of worn off at this point.

For Craig and Will, though, it never got any easier to record a prostitute's dialogue. "There are a lot of people in the control room," Conner says. "There's the actress, being very professional, she's doing her lines and everything, and then, like, 'yeah, could you just give us a...'"

"And now if you could just imagine you're getting - I'm thinking of a nice word to say - you're having sex with your client," Conner says. "It just goes from bad to worse. And it's so embarrassing."

Will Morton has a loftier ambition: "I would love to work on bringing Shenmue back to life," he says. "I'm genuinely a big fan of Shenmue 1 on the Dreamcast and Shenmue 2 on the Xbox. I would love be able to help re-envisage that for the next gen."

That would be amazing if they could be involved in S3. I wonder if Suzuki/Biscay/Corsi are aware of this.
Gen
Master of the Three Blades

Postby elmatto » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:05 pm

If they can get a good voice director, I'm sure (at the very least) they could pull a decent performance out of Cory. He had some moments in the original where you could tell he has the ability.
But that all depends on what Suzuki wants to do with it.
elmatto

Postby zema » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:21 am

Gen wrote:
Yokosuka wrote: Yu needs these guys:

That would be amazing if they could be involved in S3. I wonder if Suzuki/Biscay/Corsi are aware of this.

Well if he is indeed interested in it, he has most likely already expressed his desire to work on shenmue to yu, unless he is unable to do so because of a contract exclusivity with rockstar or another company.

That said, it wouldn't hurt to tweet about this to Biscay and Suzuki san.

zema has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
zema
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: zema7777
Nintendo FC: zema7777
Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby mjq jazz bar » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:30 am

I would definitely Tweet that to them. Bad voice acting in 2017/2018 would be a deal breaker for a lot of people. Look at how much fun people make of the games because of the voice acting, not the actual content of the game.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Shibiryo » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:51 am

People want the same bringing they got in 99-2002 Corey style.
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby AnonBaiter » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:51 pm

>Do you believe in English dub massive improvement?
No, no, NO!
The english dub for the first two games were beyond horrible at this point.
AnonBaiter
Banned
Banned

XBL: RacuousLeech01
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Zoltor » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:10 pm

The bad VA in the English dub is actually not the Voice Actor's fault, it has been reported that, that whole thing was Yu's fault actually.

He made the VAs act like that, because he wanted them to sound like Japanese, just speaking English. If that's what he wanted, he really should've hired Japanese that can speak English(for being the greatest developer ever, I have no idea why he of all people, wouldn't have done so), alternatively he could've had a couch there, manually walking the major Japanese(who don't speak English) VAs through their roles, and what English lines they need to speak.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby rigo8582 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:09 pm

Zoltor wrote: The bad VA in the English dub is actually not the Voice Actor's fault, it has been reported that, that whole thing was Yu's fault actually.

He made the VAs act like that, because he wanted them to sound like Japanese, just speaking English. If that's what he wanted, he really should've hired Japanese that can speak English(for being the greatest developer ever, I have no idea why he of all people, wouldn't have done so), alternatively he could've had a couch there, manually walking the major Japanese(who don't speak English) VAs through their roles, and what English lines they need to speak.

That is correct, I posted the interview with the voice actors. They talk about how they wanted them to speak japanese but in english. Which is why it sounded the way it did.
rigo8582
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PSN: qbanb8582
XBL: rigo8582
Steam: rigo8582
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby FetchQuests » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:27 pm

FetchQuests
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III