NEW SHENMUE III KICKSTARTER UPDATE - INTERVIEW WITH YU

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

NEW SHENMUE III KICKSTARTER UPDATE - INTERVIEW WITH YU

Postby Himuro » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:28 pm

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ys ... ts/1336892

Hello Backers!

It has been a while since our last post here on Update section. Sorry everyone! We are sure many of your concerns right now boil down to, "How is Shenmue III moving along?". So today, we have a brief interview with Yu about the progress of the project, and future plans. Without further chatter, here we go.

【※日本語版はページの下にございます】

Q: How is the production progress going?

A: Please take a look at this diagram. So far, we have finished the composition, story, planning and the game flow. We will be advancing to the next development step soon.

Q: Can you tell us more about the composition stage?

A: Shenmue III is based on the 11 chapters created 17 years ago, and each chapter is set in different regions. For example, the first chapter was set in Yokosuka, second was set in Hong Kong and so on. However, we cannot finish with just one chapter in one region, so I had to restructure the story to fit within the scope of Shenmue III.

Q: What is the story stage about?

A: We had to rethink the storyline to make a more coherent flow, such as writing additional stories and making other changes.

Q: What about the planning stage? What is going on in this part?

A: Since we now know the amount of the funding from the Kickstarter campaign, we can plan the overall budget for development. So I have mapped out the game project to fit that budget scope at this stage.

Q: After the plan is written and ready, what happens in game flow stage?

A: It is about placing various cut scenes, events, battles, and quests in order. We have just finished this stage few days ago, and we will be working on the actual game development now.

Q: What other plans will be upcoming?

A: I will promise that I will be updating you about the progress of the development at least once a month. This is what we have for now.

Q: Is there anything big coming up on your schedule?

A: I am thinking about seeing the 2015 Tokyo Game Show which will be held in September. Also, I am planning to travel to China this October to both attend a game show called CHUAPP×2015, and also to do some location scouting for Shenmue III's development.

Q: Lastly, do you have any stories you could give that occurred during development so far?

A: One night, I went to a Thai restaurant with the development team after work. At that restaurant, a man approached me and asked to shake hands. He said he was a fan, and we had a brief talk. He also happened to be in the game industry and we began to hit it off. We talked some more to find out he really knew his job, and on top of that, he was an exceptionaly good person. I was so impressed, I asked him to help with the development. I couldn't help but feel Shenmue's unique gravity to bring interesting things together.

That's all for now everyone. Stay tuned to this update section for more news in future posts!

Wataru (a. k. a. "The blue shirt guy from Twitch") & Shenmue III Kickstarter Team

Himuro has received a thanks from: Nankeiro
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Re: NEW SHENMUE III KICKSTARTER UPDATE - INTERVIEW WITH YU

Postby Three Blades » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:41 pm

Very exciting!
I'm hoping there is still room to expand the scope of the game with they PayPal money though!
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Zoltor » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:44 pm

Sigh, the biggest thing that has everyone worried, is not the development(we all have faith in Yu, and yu has proven more then once, damn he knows how to develop a great game), It's what about the Paypal option.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby kuwakodono » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:45 pm

Three Blades wrote:Very exciting!
I'm hoping there is still room to expand the scope of the game with they PayPal money though!

This was the very first thing I thought of. Wouldn't they want to see how much they can bring in via Paypal to see if they can add additional scenarios?
kuwakodono
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:51 pm

Just got an email about this. I wonder what he means about rewriting the story.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Three Blades » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:57 pm

TwiceFriedRice wrote: Just got an email about this. I wonder what he means about rewriting the story.

I hope it doesn't mean "we had to remove many parts of the story due to budget constraints" :???:
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Zoltor » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:58 pm

TwiceFriedRice wrote: Just got an email about this. I wonder what he means about rewriting the story.

Yea, that has me alittle nervous as well, I would rather Yu tell less of the story in Shenmue 3, then to practically remove pieces of the story from existence altogether.
Last edited by Zoltor on Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:59 pm

He said they also added to the story.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:01 pm

Lan Di vs Ryo somehow confirmed in Shenmue 3.

Could the man in the Thai restaurant be a potential new investor ? :oops:
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:05 pm

Rewriting the story is a necessary thing whatever the budget as Yu explained it in his Nico Nico Douga interview.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Zoltor » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:08 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Lan Di vs Ryo somehow confirmed in Shenmue 3.

Could the man in the Thai restaurant be a potential new investor ? :oops:

Well It's confirmed Lan Di is in a building that Ryo has to enter, but that doesn't mean he gets to confront Lan Di in Shenmue 3, it could just as easily end up being like Shenmue 2, where Lan Di just barely slips away, with Ryo being able to do nothing, but watch.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:12 pm

Four Big Bosses seem pretty explicit tbh. In the "worst" case, I can see Ryo failing against Lan Di (and survive) then finally beat him in a second attempt in Shenmue 4.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kintor » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:29 pm

Yokosuka wrote:

Rewriting the story is a necessary thing whatever the budget as Yu explained it in his Nico Nico Douga interview.

Yeah; as is true for all games, novels and movies; the final story can have considerable changes from the initial planning stages. This is especially true give the history of Shenmue and its long development cycle. I imagine that Yu Suzuki will want to work from his original plans as much as possible, those same plans he created in the mid-90s. Yet it's also important to adapt the story of Shenmue 3 to take into account both modern technological advancements and Yu Suzuki's own musings on the project ever since the end of Shenmue 2. We may see things in Shenmue 3 that simply weren't thought possible 15 years ago, which is a good thing.
Last edited by Kintor on Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby TwiceFriedRice » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:30 pm

Kintor wrote:
Yokosuka wrote:

Yeah; as is true for all games, novels and movies; the final story can have considerable changes from the initial planning stages. This is especially true give the history of Shenmue and its long development cycle. I imagine that Yu Suzuki will want to work from his original plans as much as, those same plans he created in the mid-90s. Yet it's also important to adapt the story of Shenmue 3 to take into account both modern technological advancements and Yu Suzuki's own musings on the project ever since the end of Shenmue 2. We may see things in Shenmue 3 that simply weren't thought possible 15 years ago, which is a good thing.

Well, duh, but that's not all that's going on here. And I'm not worried. Just wondering.
TwiceFriedRice
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Nintendo FC: Skillgore31
Steam: SkillgoreK

Postby Amir » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:32 pm

Never have I found a flow-chart so exhilarating.

Amir has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Next

Return to Shenmue III