NEW SHENMUE III KICKSTARTER UPDATE - INTERVIEW WITH YU

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: NEW SHENMUE III KICKSTARTER UPDATE - INTERVIEW WITH YU

Postby Kiske » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:19 am

Does anyone else feel a little bit too much excited about this answer from Yu:

Q: Is there anything big coming up on your schedule?

"A: I am thinking about seeing the 2015 Tokyo Game Show which will be held in September."

I may just be a dreamer... but if something BIG related to Shenmue as to be annouced anytime soon, TGS would be perfect time.

This question and the following answer could just be simple news, but it could also be some sort of spoiler/pointer/clue about something important.

At least in my mind :king:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby shenmue852 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:23 am

I would rather have another unresolved cliffhanger or even no game at all than an attempt to fit the entire storyline to Shenmue III and the 3 villages that the game is set in.

Shenmue IV or bust. Anything less is a disgrace to the first 2 games and what the series was meant to be.

Maybe some people just want Shenmue and a conclusion no matter what. I think it's just going to be completely inorganic for the game to be further truncated. 5 or 6 games could reasonably be cut down to 4, but there's no way in hell that there's enough time to naturally conclude the story in a way that does it justice with what we've seen of the kickstarter project. It looks like a great game if it's an installment, but I'm not going to be very enthusiastic about the game if they try to make it carry more than its weight- it's already on a limited budget.
Last edited by shenmue852 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

shenmue852 has received 2 thanks from: punkmanced, R3N
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby joka » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:25 am

Interesting update... The illustration confirms forklifts are definitely returning surely?!

I know they've been hinted at but I didn't think Yu was ever explicit on any part time jobs... (I could be wrong though as was a bit of an info overload during the campaign).

If September doesn't being any news on PayPal I think it'll be safe to assume it's been canned tbh.
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby shenmue852 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:32 am

Zoltor wrote:
scarless landi wrote: Do you think its possible that Yu may be consolidating this game into the final chapter? There are 4 members of the chiyoumen shown here. I know he said he wants to make more to have a complete story.

No way, he has not only admitted that he can't finish the story with just 1 game, but that if he tried, he would have to remove much more of the story, then he would ever want to(basically saying it would outright ruin the story)

Also I wouldn't assume just because Ryo fights them, it means that's the end of them, if I were you. You see, Ryo trying to be a good martial artist, has a real problem when it comes to finishing people off(weird, considering he's someone bent on taking revenge, but yea)

Besides even if Ryo completely destroys the organization, that matters nothing in Lan Di's case, Lan Di is most surely just using the organization, he doesn't need them.

The interview makes it sound like he's planning to conclude the series and storyline in Shenmue III, basically by cutting most of it out and making Shenmue III's villages the setting for parts of chapters that were supposed to take place in other parts of China.

I think YS himself isn't happy about it, seems like maybe it wasn't his choice. If you take his words at face value-

"A: Shenmue III is based on the 11 chapters created 17 years ago, and each chapter is set in different regions. For example, the first chapter was set in Yokosuka, second was set in Hong Kong and so on. However, we cannot finish with just one chapter in one region, so I had to restructure the story to fit within the scope of Shenmue III."

First and second sentence- Basically the game is based on a concept that was meant for at least 4 or 5 games.

Next sentence, which seems to break the bad news- Shenmue III WAS supposed to be one chapter (ish) of the series in one region because it's only set in those 3 Guilin villages. The story doesn't fit in into that. So notice what he says has changed- the story.

To fit within, in his words, the scope of Shenmue III which as they've said is 3 villages and the equivalent of 1 or 2 chapters equivalent in length to chapters from the previous game, but more importantly limited to Shenmue III's setting.

The fact that Shenmue III is getting made at all and that technically the storyline gets concluded is supposed to sweeten the bad news. It doesn't for me. But I guess it's ultimately the same thing for me as right now, which is as admiring the first 2 games and what they were supposed to lead to rather than what we're getting (currently nothing, and in 2017 a shadow of what the real Shenmue III and scope of the series should've been)

It reminds me of what happened with the HBO series Rome. It was intended to span 5 seasons and had the story outline planned- but it got cancelled after the second season was ordered, so they fit 3 seasons and years worth of story into season 2, and while parts of it were good, it wasn't worth it. The first season was so much better and worthwhile overall, to the extent where it would've been better to just let that season be since it was great, rather than follow up with an impossibly loaded second season.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Zoltor » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:58 am

shenmue852 wrote:
Zoltor wrote:
scarless landi wrote: Do you think its possible that Yu may be consolidating this game into the final chapter? There are 4 members of the chiyoumen shown here. I know he said he wants to make more to have a complete story.

No way, he has not only admitted that he can't finish the story with just 1 game, but that if he tried, he would have to remove much more of the story, then he would ever want to(basically saying it would outright ruin the story)

Also I wouldn't assume just because Ryo fights them, it means that's the end of them, if I were you. You see, Ryo trying to be a good martial artist, has a real problem when it comes to finishing people off(weird, considering he's someone bent on taking revenge, but yea)

Besides even if Ryo completely destroys the organization, that matters nothing in Lan Di's case, Lan Di is most surely just using the organization, he doesn't need them.

The interview makes it sound like he's planning to conclude the series and storyline in Shenmue III, basically by cutting most of it out and making Shenmue III's villages the setting for parts of chapters that were supposed to take place in other parts of China.

I think YS himself isn't happy about it, seems like maybe it wasn't his choice. If you take his words at face value-

"A: Shenmue III is based on the 11 chapters created 17 years ago, and each chapter is set in different regions. For example, the first chapter was set in Yokosuka, second was set in Hong Kong and so on. However, we cannot finish with just one chapter in one region, so I had to restructure the story to fit within the scope of Shenmue III."

First and second sentence- Basically the game is based on a concept that was meant for at least 4 or 5 games.

2nd sentence, which seems to break the bad news- Shenmue III WAS supposed to one chapter (ish) of the series in one region because it's only set in those 3 Guilin villages. The story doesn't fit in into that. So notice what he says has changed- the story.

To fit within, in his words, the scope of Shenmue III which as they've said is 3 villages and the equivalent of 1 or 2 chapters equivalent in length to chapters from the previous game, but more importantly limited to Shenmue III's setting.

The fact that Shenmue III is getting made at all and that technically the storyline gets concluded is supposed to sweeten the bad news. It doesn't for me. But I guess it's ultimately the same thing as admiring the first 2 games and what they were supposed to lead to rather than what we're getting.

That would be a huge mistake sigh.

Do you know why the first two games were so great, considered masterpieces, and seemingly impossible to make in general(I can go listing things all day, but to keep things short), It's because Yu didn't compromise, to compromise now, would utterly destroy most of what this series stands for.

I don't care if you says It's going to take a extra year or 2 to develop Shenmue 3, it would be worth it, if it was done right, without compromises. Also that goes for the same for Shenmue 4, 5 or whatnot, no one wants a condensed story, with no doubt stripped gameplay.

I really hope he doesn't do that. If Sega came forth to tell him, we let you make 3, but we can't allow you to make 4 or 5, I would rather him make 3 the way It's suppose to be, and just release a book(probally in play format would be best) with the entire story.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby joka » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:10 am

shenmue852 wrote:
Zoltor wrote:

Next sentence, which seems to break the bad news- Shenmue III WAS supposed to be one chapter (ish) of the series in one region because it's only set in those 3 Guilin villages. The story doesn't fit in into that. So notice what he says has changed- the story.

The fact that Shenmue III is getting made at all and that technically the storyline gets concluded is supposed to sweeten the bad news. It doesn't for me. But I guess it's ultimately the same thing for me as right now, which is as admiring the first 2 games and what they were supposed to lead to rather than what we're getting (currently nothing, and in 2017 a shadow of what the real Shenmue III and scope of the series should've been)

It reminds me of what happened with the HBO series Rome. It was intended to span 5 seasons and had the story outline planned- but it got cancelled after the second season was ordered, so they fit 3 seasons and years worth of story into season 2, and while parts of it were good, it wasn't worth it. The first season was so much better and worthwhile overall, to the extent where it would've been better to just let that season be since it was great, rather than follow up with an impossibly loaded second season.

I'm pretty sure it's a typo or slightly mistranslated and he means the entire Shenmue series was planned as 11 chapters divided into 11 locations. Yu has stated as much previously.

Pretty sure he's also previously stated S3 doesn't complete the story- I take his comment on story planning as they no longer have the luxury, time or budget to do 1 chapter = 1 location and so S3 will cover multiple chapters (but not all).
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Henry Spencer » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:14 am

So I take it PayPal is no longer happening? They must have secured funding from elsewhere, for all we know. It's out of our hands now anyway. Like with all game projects, the exact same thing happened even with Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2, games must be condensed and things will no doubt be taken out, but I don't think he meant he will wrap the story up in 3.

Guess we will see if anything happens at TGS.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Zoltor » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:21 am

joka wrote:
shenmue852 wrote:
Zoltor wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's a typo or slightly mistranslated and he means the entire Shenmue series was planned as 11 chapters divided into 11 locations. Yu has stated as much previously.

Pretty sure he's also previously stated S3 doesn't complete the story- I take his comment on story planning as they no longer have the luxury, time or budget to do 1 chapter = 1 location and so S3 will cover multiple chapters (but not all).

Yes, that is correct, 11 chapters is suppose to be the length of the story in its entirety.

Yea he did say that indeed, but now he's talking about cutting parts of the story out, thus to better fit the chapters Shenmue 3 is suppose to cover due to the size of a game the funding from KS can entail them to make.

However either way, condensing a large part of the story Shenmue 3 is meant to cover(which would really suck, since we only fully expanded the last area of the game) or trying to force Shenmue 3 to complete the story, both ways sound really bad. He shouldn't be doing either of those things, I really hope this is just a case of AJ screwing up yet again.

PS. It was my impression that even at the 2m mark, we would be getting the full story that 3 is suppose to cover, so why now is he talking about cutting story, and based on the lv of funding at that, I don't get it.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby joka » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:34 am

Zoltor wrote:
joka wrote:
shenmue852 wrote:
Zoltor wrote:

Yes, that is correct, 11 chapters is suppose to be the length of the story in its entirety.

Yea he did say that indeed, but now he's talking about cutting parts of the story out, thus to better fit the chapters Shenmue 3 is suppose to cover due to the size of a game the funding from KS can entail them to make.

However either way, condensing a large part of the story Shenmue 3 is meant to cover(which would really suck, since we only fully expanded the last aria of the game) or trying to force Shenmue 3 to complete the story, both ways sound really bad. He shouldn't be doing either of those things, I really hope this is just a case of AJ screwing up yet again.

We've known since the campaign stretch goals that some of content was going to be missing though- I don't really see the latest update as anything different from what's been said before.

One of my original concerns when S3 was announced was that Yu was going to try and complete the entire story in S3 but that is certainly not the case from previous Q&A's and this update doesn't change that.

However at the same time Yu knows he has to make the most of S3 as there's no guarantee of another so there was always going to be some compromise on the original plan- which is probably something like 20 years old now so it's hardly surprising.
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:56 am

Maybe Paypal is not needed anymore for whatever reason? Or maybe they have deemed Paypal not worth the effort because fees and taxes are too high and thus it wouldn't be profitable?

Sounds like Paypal isn't gonna happen anymore. Idk if that's a good thing or not. Maybe they got additional outside funding to make Paypal unnecessary.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Switch » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:57 am

I agree it seems inline with the expectations Yu has been setting in other interviews until now. It wouldn't be realistic to keep to the same chapter-based plan as originally.

joka wrote:I take his comment on story planning as they no longer have the luxury, time or budget to do 1 chapter = 1 location and so S3 will cover multiple chapters (but not all).

Yes, in fact Yu's answer in the original Japanese pretty much says exactly that. My translation:
However with Shenmue III it won't do to complete just one chapter's worth in one region, so I have restructured the underlying story to fit the budget.

Switch has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Zoltor » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:01 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: Maybe Paypal is not needed anymore for whatever reason? Or maybe they have deemed Paypal not worth the effort because fees and taxes are too high and thus it wouldn't be profitable?

Sounds like Paypal isn't gonna happen anymore. Idk if that's a good thing or not. Maybe they got additional outside funding to make Paypal unnecessary.

He said Ys.net would be running other fundraising stuff, so It's a possibility, but I have to believe if more funding was no longer needed, Yu would've announced they have all the funding needed now, to get all the things laid out in the stretch goals that we didn't reach during the campaign.

Considering KS's fees are like 1,000x higher, I seriously doubt that
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Hyo Razuki » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:09 am

Zoltor wrote:
Hyo Razuki wrote: Maybe Paypal is not needed anymore for whatever reason? Or maybe they have deemed Paypal not worth the effort because fees and taxes are too high and thus it wouldn't be profitable?

I have to believe if more funding was no longer needed, Yu would've announced they have all the funding needed now, to get all the things laid out in the stretch goals that we didn't reach during the campaign.

Yeah, it would make sense, wouldn't it? If they had secured extra funding, they could just come out and be like: "Boys and girls, we've secured extra funding after the KS. We've got all the money we need now, so we won't have to do Paypal. Thanks for your support. You may now lean back and look forward to December of 2017 to come."

Still it seems odd to me that they still haven't even mentioned Paypal. If they have some issues to sort out they could at least give the backers an update concerning that. Like "Hello everyone, we're still in negotiations with our partners over the Paypal option." There are thousands of fanboys out there waiting to throw money at Ys Net (I am one of those people).
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kiske » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:14 am

From Cédric Biscay Twitter:

More information will be given soon. As Suzuki san already promised Paypal in previous interview, you do not need to worry.

https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status ... 2922323968
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Zoltor » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:19 am

Hyo Razuki wrote:
Zoltor wrote:

I have to believe if more funding was no longer needed, Yu would've announced they have all the funding needed now, to get all the things laid out in the stretch goals that we didn't reach during the campaign.

Yeah, it would make sense, wouldn't it? If they had secured extra funding, they could just come out and be like: "Boys and girls, we've secured extra funding after the KS. We've got all the money we need now, so we won't have to do Paypal. Thanks for your support. You may now lean back and look forward to December of 2017 to come."

Still it seems odd to me that they still haven't even mentioned Paypal. If they have some issues to sort out they could at least give the backers an update concerning that. Like "Hello everyone, we're still in negotiations with our partners over the Paypal option." There are thousands of fanboys out there waiting to throw money at Ys Net (I am one of those people).

Near the end of KS, I sent them a message asking them about a slightly different subject, but is indirectly potentially linked to Paypal(specifically I asked them if they are going to offer/sell the Crystal sculpture/display after KS ended), and 2 weeks ago I got a reply.

This is what they said: They're still working on adding the Paypal option, and they will be having some reward tiers available, which they think that will be in one of them.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III