Tokyo Otaku Mode interview with Yu Suzuki

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Tokyo Otaku Mode interview with Yu Suzuki

Postby amiga1200 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:17 pm

:-k
yu not a game player as a general? didn't know, not like i follow his life or anything.
there's a logic to it, and makes sense. (thanks whoever first pointed that out.)
the powers of observation, combined with an excellent imagination, dev team to hand, and able to direct them accordingly.
hell, he could make it up in his head what a 'video game' is...and in effect, is doing. 8)
seeing that just raised my expectations to ludicrous speed. (we've gone to plaid) :P
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby Zoltor » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:39 pm

amiga1200 wrote: :-k
yu not a game player as a general? didn't know, not like i follow his life or anything.
there's a logic to it, and makes sense. (thanks whoever first pointed that out.)
the powers of observation, combined with an excellent imagination, dev team to hand, and able to direct them accordingly.
hell, he could make it up in his head what a 'video game' is...and in effect, is doing. 8)
seeing that just raised my expectations to ludicrous speed. (we've gone to plaid) :P

Not genally no, but he has played games before, infact while he claims in this interview, that he Isn't influenced by other games, and that sure maybe the case for Shenmue 2, and 3, but evidentle we have him being influenced by other games to thank for the creation of the entire Shenmue series altogether.

According to Yu, he use to play some RPGs in the late 80/early 90s, and something really bothered him in these game(He liked the overall gameplay of them, but one thing really annoyed him). Now because Yu is completely insane, the thing that bothered him so much, was the fact you had to point to a NPC to talk to it, and that lead him to want to make a RPG, which lead to the creation of Virtual Fighter RPG, which inturn morphed into what we ofcourse know as Shenmue, the greatest adventure series to date.

This baffles me, because a lot of morons hate on RPGs all the time, omg I hate those people(basically because they're not meant for brain dead cavemen, yet brain dead cavemen are always trying to change RPGs, to fit their mentality lv), and they say the craziest things, to bash RPGs. Know what I have never heard of before? Is any of these people complaining about how they don't like the fact you need to point at a NPC, to talk to it.

It blew my mind when I heard Yu say that, because he's saying we have to thank something that would never bother anyone else, for the creation of the Shenmue games. Um just WOW.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby amiga1200 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:59 pm

^^ fair point. (the last line)
i'm not fazed by it though, because if it counts to him what we think as a whole, he'll commit.
my observation on the truly talented:
i don't know how much space is in the human brain, but a consistent flaw is prevalent.
savant.
a word to describe an individual with an unparalleled skillset, but it goes to their heads.
usually, not very nice folks, celebrity culture, games now have that accolade as it's the most dominant form of entertainment.
i know devs on all sides of the prism, very few with talent and humble, the rest, absolute dicks you wouldn't want to meet irl. (never meet your heroes, you're in for a rude awakening and a sharp disappointment.)
ambiguous on it, the results are all i care about...
and if he delivers true to form, the ones calling him on his 'arrogance' will fall silent.
still, if he fucks up, the net will show it's ugly side and won't bar blows. (and rightly so. raise expectations, and not follow through? many long time houses was buried for failing to deliver. benefit of the doubt for yu, past results...and the story a WIP!) :mrgreen:
[edit]
i've never met yu irl, and i'm not speculating on his personality, merely a general observation on the world as a whole.
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby shredingskin » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:24 pm

I love everything about the interview. I love the new ideas that Yu wants to do with SIII, the "inner development" philosophy, that he likes challenges for himself.

Really hyped.

And yeah, remake the cave scene, I'll be happy whatever happens, but they can tone it down a little.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Ziming » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:07 am

Short clip of Yu Suzuki thanking everyone. From Tokyo Otaku Mode's youtube channel.

phpBB [video]

Ziming has received a thanks from: amiga1200
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby shredingskin » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:14 am

Who should be the martir ?? Ren or Guizang ??

I really hope Ren.

Maybe Shen III will make things better for him, I just hate him.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:09 am

That's the thing that bothers me now: the quality of his team. And Yu & Hirai can't do anything.

Besides that, does anyone have noticed that the Character Perspective System concerns only the Baisha Village according the stretch goals ?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Zoltor » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:34 am

Yokosuka wrote:

That's the thing that bothers me now: the quality of his team. And Yu & Hirai can't do anything.

Besides that, does anyone have noticed that the Character Perspective System concerns only the Baisha Village according the stretch goals ?

We were lead to believe that it was a Baisha village only thing(and even then, probally only for the infiltration quest segment+ a few minor segments), due to the way it was originally described, combined with the way It's placed in the Stretch goals. Nevermind his statement about why he wanted us to expand the last area of the game first.

However this last interview, almost literally states, It's a much bigger deal then that(like a most of the game kind of big deal), so maybe that's where they just decided to list it in the stretch goals, since he wanted people to expand the last area first anyway.

In any case, if it really is suppose to be such a big deal, it will most surely be one of the first things we notice in any gameplay footage they start releasing, during the development of the game.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby fittersau » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:49 am

Yokosuka wrote:

I'm sure whatever we understand as the structure of the game according to stretch goals, Shenmue 3 will still be well paced and fun. I think this is why he had to spend time restructuring according to budget while making it interesting.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby James Brown » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:14 am

Ziming wrote: Short clip of Yu Suzuki thanking everyone. From Tokyo Otaku Mode's youtube channel.

phpBB [video]

That image at the top of the interview aswell, wonder if that's the set in stone font for the game now, or just something otakumode have made? The kickstarter font was absolutely awful and true Shenmue font is the best, whilst it's not easy to read over their clothing, I quite like that chrome style :)
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby Lan Di-sama » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:19 pm

Zoltor wrote:

Oh ok, well if It's at Shenhua's house, after the final events of 2, while I think Yu should really start 3 off at where 2 ended, I suppose It's ok, It's still a stupid move, but fine, hardly the end of the world or anything.

I think I'm beating a dead horse at this point, but what are you talking about? That IS where Shenmue 2 left off.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Zoltor » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:29 pm

Lan Di-sama wrote:
Zoltor wrote:

Oh ok, well if It's at Shenhua's house, after the final events of 2, while I think Yu should really start 3 off at where 2 ended, I suppose It's ok, It's still a stupid move, but fine, hardly the end of the world or anything.

I think I'm beating a dead horse at this point, but what are you talking about? That IS where Shenmue 2 left off.

Lmfao, where do you think, in the bloody stone pit, in front of the 2 oversized carvings of the mirrors, with Shenhua, and Ryo facing each other.

2 did not end in Shenhua's house, so WTF are you talking about?
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:45 pm

:???: :roll: ](*,)

Our new members make me want to bang my head against a wall.

Himuro has received a thanks from: Lan Di-sama
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Kiske » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:14 am

Oh, come on!

Do you really feel that about all new membImage

Kiske has received 3 thanks from: Himuro, myshtuff, Yokosuka
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby drunkensailor » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:07 am

Yokosuka wrote:
Kiske wrote: Thank you for this very interesting interview Yokosuka!

Very surprised to read that Yu Suzuki isn't into actually playing games!

He's got a precise vision of what he wants and where he wants to push gaming limits.

Couldn't be more excited about Shenmue 3 right now!

Yep, Yu has never been a real gamer in his whole life.

From my experience, I know that the best talents (especially in art) are those who are the most dispassionate people because they only focus on the most profound human yearnings and create directly with the existing tools whatever the others do or did, which are usually boring for them.

@Lan Di-sama : Like in Shenmue 2, I think we will face forest mazes again because of the storm damages. Maybe an early occasion to see the new Ryo's climbing abilities.

although true somewhat I guess there's a video on the internet of a japanese convention were yu suzuki schools the creator of tekken in both tekken and virtua fighter. incredible stuff
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III