Random Shenmue Thoughts

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby Kiske » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:01 am

"Open minded gamer" could enjoy both genres, because they both offer entertainement.

I, for instance have a lot of fun playing "Battlefield 1943" O:)
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Zoltor » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:04 am

Kiske wrote: "Open minded gamer" could enjoy both genres, because they both offer entertainement.

I, for instance have a lot of fun playing "Battlefield 1943" O:)

Obviously, and that's the difference between a FPS drone, and someone who just happens to like FPS as well as other things.

A FPS drone, is much like the people who play MMOs for no other reason then PvP(infact they would rather not have to play the main game at all, because the only reason they are playing, is for PvP), if FPS didn't exist, odds are they wouldn't be playing games at all, and if they ever pick another genre to play, it will be something like God of War or something around those lines, just all action, no thought involved.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:39 am

It's hard to state a fair conclusion from this video. You put the same guy alone in a room, with him discovering the intro of Shenmue 1 with the graphics and audios standards of nowadays, and the result could have been radically different. It's just a question of how to get into it and there are several ways for this : cinematic, musics, fights, RPG aspect, exploration, story, social, graphics etc.

Don't forget that unlike Virtua Fighter, Shenmue was made with the purpose of being open minded, familial and relatively casual. And that the slow pace of the first episode was tailor-made for the 2000's player eager to fulfill his dream of open worlds and freedom.

Although it's clear that some kinds of players look hopeless. I hardly imagine a Shenmue 3 peacefully trailer in a Xbox E3 conference making the US crowd mad.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Kiske » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:15 am

I was watching at the E3 reactions videos for the xxxx time (makes me feel good when i feel blue :mrgreen: ) and I've came across this Michael Huber video. Man I love him!!!

Sorry if this video has already been posted many times, but maybe some newcomers didn't see it and really, it's awesome :king:

phpBB [video]

Kiske has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, ShenGCH
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:39 am

Kiske wrote: I was watching at the E3 reactions videos for the xxxx time (makes me feel good when i feel blue :mrgreen: ) and I've came across this Michael Huber video. Man I love him!!!

Sorry if this video has already been posted many times, but maybe some newcomers didn't see it and really, it's awesome :king:

phpBB [video]

I still watch Shenmue III reaction videos every now and then, and the ones I love the most are the ones where they only have to hear the first few seconds of the music before exploding with joy :D

Aside from the GameTrailers one, these are some of my favourites:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: Kiske
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kiske » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:54 am

The guy on the front row in your second video... no reaction at all.
I can imagine what he was thinking: "The f*ck is Shenmue?" :-s

I love your first video, he's fighting not to cry. That's what Shenmue is all about!
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Zoltor » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:09 am

Kiske wrote: The guy on the front row in your second video... no reaction at all.
"I can imagine what he was thinking: "The f*ck is Shenmue?" :-s "

I love your first video, he's fighting not to cry. That's what Shenmue is all about!

Yea sigh, we need to try to keep in mind, that It's been so bloody long since the last Shenmue game, that many gamers were either not even born at the time or not old enough to game. That person in the front row, had a really crappy childhood no doubt, because he was born in the 2000s, and he was probally only like 1 yr old when even Shenmue 2 came out, nevermind Shenmue 1.

It's such a crime that Sega never even rereleased the 2 games in any way, even a stupid digital only rerelease would've been atleast something, but yea, absolutely nothing for 14 years, so It's sadly not shocking that some people don't know of Shenmue at all.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:59 am

I watched the complete "4 hours reaction compilation" two days ago. :)

Also, I watch/listen some live Sony conference that were not included and the commentaries usually react to the kickstarter evolution during the rest of the conference, it's funny.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:53 am

Yokosuka wrote: I watched the complete "4 hours reaction compilation" two days ago. :)

Also, I watch/listen some live Sony conference that were not included and the commentaries usually react to the kickstarter evolution during the rest of the conference, it's funny.

Watched those 4 hours compilation 2 month ago. In conclusion, I never have enough of those live reactions.
It's like a medecine for the soul :-o

Somehow related... I think we found Tom! (again, sorry if this has been already posted ages ago)
phpBB [video]

Cool video :heart:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:58 pm

Zoltor wrote:
Kiske wrote: The guy on the front row in your second video... no reaction at all.

That person in the front row, had a really crappy childhood no doubt, because he was born in the 2000s, and he was probally only like 1 yr old when even Shenmue 2 came out, nevermind Shenmue 1.

That's a bit unfair, don't you think? Sure, maybe Shenmue isn't his cup of tea, or maybe he's just not the sort of person to go wild at announcements and stuff like that, but that's no reason to think any less of him as a person. I'm sure there were people who were sat there in the conference hall at E3 in person who were like, "The fuck is this?! This isn't Call of Duty: Black Ops III! WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE CHEERING?!?!", completely unaware of the gravity of what was before their eyes.

I'm more surprised he didn't jump out of his seat when the guy screamed and smacked the sofa :P
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Zoltor » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:06 pm

ShenGCH wrote:
Zoltor wrote:

That person in the front row, had a really crappy childhood no doubt, because he was born in the 2000s, and he was probally only like 1 yr old when even Shenmue 2 came out, nevermind Shenmue 1.

That's a bit unfair, don't you think? Sure, maybe Shenmue isn't his cup of tea, or maybe he's just not the sort of person to go wild at announcements and stuff like that, but that's no reason to think any less of him as a person. I'm sure there were people who were sat there in the conference hall at E3 in person who were like, "The fuck is this?! This isn't Call of Duty: Black Ops III! WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE CHEERING?!?!", completely unaware of the gravity of what was before their eyes.

I'm more surprised he didn't jump out of his seat when the guy screamed and smacked the sofa :P

Huh, what are you reading, because it sure wasn't my post(nor the person I quoted). I never implied it was his fault because he was born in the 2000s or anything like that, and I definitely didn't attack him as a person) ?
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenGCH » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:46 am

Zoltor wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:
Zoltor wrote:

Huh, what are you reading, because it sure wasn't my post(nor the person I quoted). I never implied it was his fault because he was born in the 2000s or anything like that, and I definitely didn't attack him as a person) ?

Terribly sorry, dude, but I totally misread your post. When you said, "That person in the front row, had a really crappy childhood no doubt," I thought you meant the reason why he didn't look excited for Shenmue III was because he had an unhappy childhood - but, instead, you were (I assume) referring to the fact that if he were born in the early 2000s, he wouldn't have been exposed to that particular era of video games and, by extension, Shenmue. Personally, I think the dude looks at least eighteen, but that's all up in the air :P

Please accept my apologies.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Zoltor » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:26 am

ShenGCH wrote:
Zoltor wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:
Zoltor wrote:

Terribly sorry, dude, but I totally misread your post. When you said, "That person in the front row, had a really crappy childhood no doubt," I thought you meant the reason why he didn't look excited for Shenmue III was because he had an unhappy childhood - but, instead, you were (I assume) referring to the fact that if he were born in the early 2000s, he wouldn't have been exposed to that particular era of video games and, by extension, Shenmue. Personally, I think the dude looks at least eighteen, but that's all up in the air :P

Please accept my apologies.

Oh ok, np, and yea I meant the 2nd one.
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:06 pm

Cracked.com mocks Shenmue II for its ultra-realism in a 500k views article.

http://www.cracked.com/article_23008_5- ... alism.html

#4. Shenmue II Makes You Take A Two-Hour Hike

Shenmue had an insane dedication to realism, whether it was a perfect and pointless re-creation of 1987's weather patterns or the fact that you were forced to get a tedious 9 to 5 job as the climactic finale. But Shenmue II was more user-friendly, so surely they wouldn't make the same decisions ... right?

The sequel looks like it's going to climax when Ryo Hazuki, trying to find his father's murderer, battles his way through a wave of gangsters and fistfights Buddha. Victorious, he gets his next clue: The killer is going to a small Chinese village. Villain vanquished, sequel teased, roll credits.

Just kidding! That would make too much sense. Instead you take a boat ride to the picturesque (by Dreamcast standards) Chinese wilderness, where a friendly, conveniently Japanese-speaking villager informs you that the village you seek is a three-day hike away. Other games would fade to black or a map screen that lets you make the trip in moments. Shenmue II forces you to take every single step.

For almost two hours after that emotional boss fight, pretty much all you do is walk forward. There are events along the way -- you gather twigs for a fire, dodge fallen trees, and occasionally jump a gap or ford a river. But almost every activity comes down to pressing a button quickly when the game tells you to, and you usually suffer little more than a fall on your ass if you fail. The closest you get to excitement is rescuing a drowning girl who turns out to be a girl you've been dreaming about. So that's going to give you a lot of important things to discuss, right?

Nope. Your literal dream woman mostly prattles on about leaves, trees, and mountains, as though the developers decided players needed to wind down with a relaxing nature walk. You can watch the epic cross-country trek if you have a spare hour and 40 minutes and have already watched every movie in existence.

Eventually you reach her house, and then your patience will be rewarded with a final showdown with the killer, right? Yes, but only if you count waiting 14 years for the opportunity to give money to the Shenmue III Kickstarter. You find out the girl might have magic powers (oh, so now you're abandoning realism, Shenmue?), examine a sword and a mysterious note, and the credits finally anticlimactically roll. Jesus, we haven't seen pacing that bad since we tried to run a marathon.

some interesting reactions
hentropy+1 1 0
09-10-2015 | 11:02 AM
Maybe I just have a mental disorder but I liked the last part of Shenmue II. Liked, not loved. I thought it was a bit overlong, but you have to remember that the scenery was pretty much as beautiful as you could get when it came out, and the basic concept of taking a slow, ponderous journey through the mountains had something video-game spiritual about it. People wank all over it when it take you 20 minutes to climb a mountain in Skyrim and read all the plaques.

bluemist1+4 4 0
09-10-2015 | 7:00 AM
These games show good reason why the trope "Acceptable Break From Reality" is very crucial to remember for any video game. Granted, the amount of breaks from reality completely depends on the game style. A hardcore survival game would have far fewer breaks from reality than, say, a first person action shooter, because the very challenge would be watching out for little mundane events that could kill you, from an untreated foot infection (OR one treated improperly, say washed out with stagnant water) on up.

In other words, use good game design to pick and choose the types of challenge the players experience. And I agree with the author --- these were poorly chosen places to insert realism, with no rewards associated with it. For example, the pull up contest should, at the very least, permanently improve one of the character's stats.

The 2 hour nature hike seems like sheer masochism on the part of the developers, since they had to create a gigantic map for the sole purpose of being trudged through, then insert mildly interesting events at specific points. Unless the game is a survival game, where the hike could easily kill you, or a classic RPG where you might have monster battles, there's really no point to it.

SquirrelEmpire+7 7 0
09-10-2015 | 8:13 AM
Why does this make me want to play Shenmu even more? What deranged part of my brain did that speak to?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Ziming » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:33 pm

phpBB [video]
Ziming
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext