Combat in the game

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Combat in the game

Postby strider16 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:21 pm

1 - What would you improve or add in the game's combat?

An aiming system - not to rigid, even with options to turn on/off - , to focus one opponent at a time;
Better camera;
More resistant opponents, even when facing more than one;
Except for some roundhouses, every move should hit only one opponent;

2 - Would you like more fights during the game, or the way it was in Shenmue 1 works better for you?

I would like to see a lot of masters of different styles asking for sparring at anytime, one grappler, one kicker, one boxer, one that can mirror exactly the player style... They could be unlockables, for more gameplay.

I would like to see combos, parry, block, opponents resisting to throws (as QTEs or smashing a button). When low in life, more QTEs.

Real battles are almost everytime very brief, reading, reaction and one single strong blow would suffice to win almost every unruled fight; but fighting in a game this way... at first glance the idea seems very boring.
strider16
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Portal Stories: Mel

Postby Shin Pan Tzee » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:31 pm

strider16 wrote:I would like to see a lot of masters of different styles asking for sparring at anytime, one grappler, one kicker, one boxer, one that can mirror exactly the player style

That's a very cool concept sometimes ignored unfortunately. Lots of games have hordes of enemies without any distinctive characteristic, and only the bosses have something different to offer. From what i remember, recently Sleeping Dogs did it well and that's it.

Having grapplers, kickers, boxers that offer a different challenge would be really nice, specially if you have to adapt yourself to beat them too, like the boxer being more evasive and harder to punch, specially if you haven't focused on upgrading punches, but have kicks as a weakness.

I don't know if Yu even cares that much about this too much, but they can play with lots of fun ideas.
Shin Pan Tzee
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby shenmue852 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:56 am

Sleeping dogs' melee combat system becomes easy enough to play while asleep once you get the hang of the block/counter system.

Has anyone played the UFC Mobile game for Android and iOS? that game is simple but addictive and has a decent amount of depth for an infinity blade style game.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Shibiryo » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:51 pm

Can you please keep the same combat structure
Last edited by Shibiryo on Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:27 pm

Where is the source that says a lot of AM2 developers work now for Neilo ? Could these developers have worked on Virtua Fighter 5 before ?
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby fittersau » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:44 am

Yokosuka wrote: Where is the source that says a lot of AM2 developers work now for Neilo ? Could these developers have worked on Virtua Fighter 5 before ?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ys ... escription

Takeshi Hirai is the lead programmer for the Shenmue series. In 2010 founded the independent game development studio, Neilo Inc, producing Orgarythm for the Playstation Vita and the Japanese arcade version of Left 4 Dead: Survivors.

I don't think it implied more than one employee worked on Shenmue, just Takeshi.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby fittersau » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:18 am

shenmue852 wrote: Sleeping dogs' melee combat system becomes easy enough to play while asleep once you get the hang of the block/counter system.

Has anyone played the UFC Mobile game for Android and iOS? that game is simple but addictive and has a decent amount of depth for an infinity blade style game.

Yeah, Sleeping Dogs combat wasn't hugely deep like Shenmue's but it was one of the closets to Shenmue for a more fluid combat that used more than a sequence of buttons. All things considered with free roaming, mini-games etc it was a decent fill in.

I haven't played any UFC games, but watched some of the UFC console game videos and it did look surprisingly a lot like Shenmue 2 combat.

In terms of fighting styles, if you guys haven't read or looked at Kenji manga http://www.mangapanda.com/kenji/1 I recommend it in terms of an insight of what fighting styles may arrive in Shenmue 3 and onward. It is authored by Ryuuichi Matsuda who wrote it as a semi auto-biography. Shenmue seems to have taken a fair bit of inspiration from Kenji for the focus on Bajiquan style and other elements. The main character, Kenji, is determined to learn Bajiquan but ends up learning a whole host of different styles which complement his fights. This is something we also see in Shenmue with Ryo getting a few moves from different teachers a long the way.

Don't read it if you want to avoid possible spoilers to Shenmue 3 etc.

He's a pic of Suzuki with Bajiquan master Wu LianZhu

He's a pick with Matsuda (right of Wu) with Bajiquan master Wu LianZhu

Matsuda Ryuuichi doing the over powered Elbow Assault!

This is a photo of Wu LianZhu, Matsuda Haremi (Ryuuchi's wife) & Suzuki Yu at that same event this year in 2015 soon before Shenmue 3's announcement. (Ryuuichi passed away in 2013)

The full party pics and explanations can be found here

He's why Bajiquan should only be practiced on dusty floors... to ensure cool particle effects in game.

phpBB [video]
Last edited by fittersau on Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:11 am

Yokosuka wrote: Where is the source that says a lot of AM2 developers work now for Neilo ? Could these developers have worked on Virtua Fighter 5 before ?

Well, Yu Suzuki himself created Virtua Fighter. Sadly I'm afraid because he was hanging out with David Cage a few years ago.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby elmatto » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:03 pm

So long as there's some form of complexity I'll be okay.
Not sure I'd like them to go the batman games route though. You know what I mean. Where everything is automatic.

If they did do that I'd like to have two different systems.
1 for random baddies thats simple...and 1 for bosses thats more complex.
But thats asking for a lot and probably not feasible.

But yeah...I dunno if we'll get the same system as before (though 'i'd prefer it).
My guess is we'll get a mixture of complexity and automation.
elmatto
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Shin Pan Tzee » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:29 pm

elmatto wrote:Not sure I'd like them to go the batman games route though. You know what I mean. Where everything is automatic.

I'd rather just have them copy and paste the older games combat, than a Batman style combat. It is already overused, and it simply doesn't work for 1x1 fights. Even the games that did it right and better than Batman have to throw at least 5 enemies at you.

fittersau wrote:He's why Bajiquan should only be practiced on dusty floors... to ensure cool particle effects in game.

phpBB [video]

Very interesting stuff there. And yeah, dusty floors make any martial arts video better. :lol: Hope they add this effect to Shemnue 3 fights.
Shin Pan Tzee
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Yokosuka » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:50 pm

Never played to any Batman but it look sucks. Only Japanese can make good VS fighting imo.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby fittersau » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:15 am

Wonder if Ryo will run into this Bajiquan practitioner. :mrgreen:

phpBB [video]

fittersau has received a thanks from: johnvivant
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte