Translation requests here!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Translation requests here!

Postby redline » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:23 pm

thanks. im working on a basic t-shirt design, similar in feel to the shenmue tshirt by http://core-choco.shop-pro.jp/
-just for fun.

i'll use 70人抜きバトル

:)
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:42 pm

redline wrote: i tried using google translator. does this correctly mean "70 man battle"? - 70男の戦い

thanks in advance.

David used 70人バトル in his interview.
(ちょっとやっていました。70人バトルのときにドラム缶が崩れてきたりとか… )

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: redline
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby DEVILLE_David » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:34 pm

You could write it like this :

70人抜きバトル

70人バトル

70人抜き

70人フリーバトル

But I've checked one of my Shenmue's guides and it's "70人バトル".

Edit :

Took a picture :

DEVILLE_David has received a thanks from: redline
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby redline » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:53 pm

thanks DEVILLE_David, if 70人バトル is in the guide, i'll choose with that :)
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Switch » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:23 pm

I noticed another wall-hanging scroll in Shenmue II, so thought I would add it here to the scrolls talked about on this thread earlier.

It can be seen in one of the shops on Dragon Street in Kowloon (thanks to James Reiner for his no-clip video of Dragon St here).

The scrolls on the left and right walls, "道可道非常道", is one that also hangs in the Hazuki Dojo, and is the first line of the Classic Chinese text Tao Te Ching. It can be translated as "The Way that can be told of is not an unvarying way". The translation given in the game is "Principles cannot be expressed only by words".

This shop also has a different scroll on the back wall, "名可名也 非恒名也". This is the second line of the Tao Te Ching and means "The names that can be told of are not unvarying names".

Switch has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, johnvivant
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby johnvivant » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:37 am

switch, are you able to translate the talisman from shenmue 1? thank you bluemue for the texture rip.
:

BlueMue wrote:
johnvivant wrote: has anyone ever tried translating the talisman on the desk which was blocking the wall when you find the phoenix mirror?

Ryo says 'this.. its seems to be sealed'.
i'm wondering whether it contained a spell to the seal the phoenix mirror's magic, or prevent magic being used to find it. it would be interesting to know what it actually says.

This is intersting and I'd like to know about this too. I've made a very high-res screenshot of the talisman.
It's still rather pixelated as the texture just doesn't have much resolution but hopefully it's enough to read the smaller characters. Is this maybe even written mirrored, so it looks normal when you spot it in the mirror?

johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Switch » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:24 am

johnvivant wrote: switch, are you able to translate the talisman from shenmue 1? thank you bluemue for the texture rip.
:

BlueMue wrote:
johnvivant wrote: has anyone ever tried translating the talisman on the desk which was blocking the wall when you find the phoenix mirror?

Ryo says 'this.. its seems to be sealed'.
i'm wondering whether it contained a spell to the seal the phoenix mirror's magic, or prevent magic being used to find it. it would be interesting to know what it actually says.

This is intersting and I'd like to know about this too. I've made a very high-res screenshot of the talisman.
It's still rather pixelated as the texture just doesn't have much resolution but hopefully it's enough to read the smaller characters. Is this maybe even written mirrored, so it looks normal when you spot it in the mirror?

Hm, I'm afraid I can't tell what the meaning is as it's written in Chinese. I don't recognize any characters that are the same in Japanese - perhaps 部 at the top right, but it doesn't make sense without context.

Perhaps someone on the Dojo knows Chinese? Or like Ryo we may need to go to Master Chen for help...
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Ziming » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:38 pm

It's some kind of talisman based on Taoism?

Talismans are objects that have been thought to have the power to bring good luck. Besides that, they are believed to remove or keep away evil spirits. Strips of paper which are written words of power and religious symbols are examples of talismans. It can heal illnesses, drive away demons and focus benevolent spiritual energies to purify. Moreover, most of them are usually in yellow.

Ziming has received a thanks from: johnvivant
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Switch » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:06 am

Ziming wrote: It's some kind of talisman based on Taoism?

Nice find! It looks very similar to those talismans.

About the script on them (from a book called "Encyclopedia of Taoism"):
Talismans often do include include recognizable symbols and words, but they are not meant to be read by humans. Legible only to the gods, they give power over troops of divine protectors, both within and without the body.

Switch has received a thanks from: johnvivant
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kiske » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:02 am

SEGA Holdings COO, Hideki Okamura Interview:

http://www.gamebusiness.jp/article/2015 ... 11621.html

Shenmue and Shenmue 3 are mentioned near the end of the article, that's why a traduction would be nice.

Kiske has received 2 thanks from: Amir, Yokosuka
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Rakim » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:23 am

It Appears SCE is backing up the development of Shenmue 3. Shenmue is a Sega IP, are there any plans to support this effort?

Shenmue is of course an important IP, not only to Sega, but also to the many games it has influenced. It was the first of its kind in the go anywhere, do anything open world style games. On top of that Mr. Suzuki had a very strong desire to make Shenmue 3. モノ作りは本当に作りたい人が作るべきで、それが鈴木裕氏を中心としたクリエイターだということです。Of course Sega is interacting with Mr. Suzuki even now. We will continue supporting him concerning Shenmue 3 as well.

I can't figure out a way to phrase that one sentence into English that doesn't sound moronic. Someone help a brotha out.

Rakim has received 5 thanks from: Amir, Axm, Kiske, Mr357, Yokosuka
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:44 am

Thank you very much Rakim.

That's the first time I read that not only SEGA aknowledge Shenmue 3 but that apparently, they are supporting its development in some way... other than providing assets of the original Shenmue games?
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:05 pm

Shanghai Shen from youtube has found an old interview.

http://www.gamersky.com/news/201507/615268.shtml

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: Axm
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby DEVILLE_David » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:08 pm

I think it has been translated in Chinese because the original interview is here :

June 19

http://www.4gamer.net/games/305/G030593/20150618126/

While the Chinese one has been published in July.
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Switch » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:30 pm

Rakim wrote:
It Appears SCE is backing up the development of Shenmue 3. Shenmue is a Sega IP, are there any plans to support this effort?

Shenmue is of course an important IP, not only to Sega, but also to the many games it has influenced. It was the first of its kind in the go anywhere, do anything open world style games. On top of that Mr. Suzuki had a very strong desire to make Shenmue 3. モノ作りは本当に作りたい人が作るべきで、それが鈴木裕氏を中心としたクリエイターだということです。Of course Sega is interacting with Mr. Suzuki even now. We will continue supporting him concerning Shenmue 3 as well.

I can't figure out a way to phrase that one sentence into English that doesn't sound moronic. Someone help a brotha out.

Here's my attempt - hard to form a smooth translation though.

"Craftsmanship is something that should be done by those who really want to create, and this has Yu Suzuki as the main developer."

Switch has received a thanks from: Rakim
Switch
News Poster
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III