Stamina bar for Ryo Hazuki

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Stamina bar for Ryo Hazuki

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:33 pm

Do we all agree that a running bar in Shenmue would suck?

Almost every modern games use this system, including the last Zelda.

Yu might be tempted...
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Re: Stamina bar for Ryo Hazuki

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:53 pm

Would make zero sense in the overworld, so I doubt it'll happen. It'd be a departure from the existing control system that adds no benefit, and I'm sure Yu is smarter than that. Besides, he doesn't (and never really has) pay attention to other games on the market, so stamina bars being an "in" thing won't really affect his decisions.

An unseen stamina bar existed in the FREE combat though, so maybe that'll return. A stamina system might make for tactical melee combat if applied to actual moves instead of just running. Yu did say he planned to have the new system be a departure from the Virtua Fighter-alike system we already know.

Imagine, instead of enemies just gunning for you, they slowly try to surround you. You have to make sure your back is covered by positioning yourself against a wall or something, or you'll have to expend stamina dodging, side-stepping, or countering. You'll have to dispatch enemies quickly and efficiently, and back up and retreat when needed. It'll also need to include elements of being able to split enemies up to even the odds. Something like this does play into what I believe Yu's vision for the combat is, judging from what he's said about the changes he wants to make.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby KidMarine » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:24 pm

Add bullet time too.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:00 pm

Spaghetti wrote: Would make zero sense in the overworld, so I doubt it'll happen. It'd be a departure from the existing control system that adds no benefit, and I'm sure Yu is smarter than that. Besides, he doesn't (and never really has) pay attention to other games on the market, so stamina bars being an "in" thing won't really affect his decisions.

An unseen stamina bar existed in the FREE combat though, so maybe that'll return. A stamina system might make for tactical melee combat if applied to actual moves instead of just running. Yu did say he planned to have the new system be a departure from the Virtua Fighter-alike system we already know.

Imagine, instead of enemies just gunning for you, they slowly try to surround you. You have to make sure your back is covered by positioning yourself against a wall or something, or you'll have to expend stamina dodging, side-stepping, or countering. You'll have to dispatch enemies quickly and efficiently, and back up and retreat when needed. It'll also need to include elements of being able to split enemies up to even the odds. Something like this does play into what I believe Yu's vision for the combat is, judging from what he's said about the changes he wants to make.

Not tempted by the trend but the benefit that all game designers are seeing behind it. Shenmue is a story of realism and immersion after all. A bionic Ryo might feel awkward for the modern players we are (and Yu is).
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby -=SPZ=-47 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:51 pm

Absolutely agree. Add those selectable dialogue lines, rechargeable health and those annoying qte's. Wait, oh shi...

:mrgreen: Just joking.

I was thinking of the features that are so annoying in modern gaming. Figures, Shenmue had a lot of them! But done it right.

-=SPZ=-47 has received a thanks from: Nahovil
-=SPZ=-47
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby GYO6161 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:46 am

No please dont, i want shenmue 3 too be as unmodern as possible, in my world Shenmue 3 wouldn't even run on UE4, instead on the original Shenmue DC engine, but oh well....
I also hope, people might disagree, but i to control ryo with the dpad on this one too, just make it like originals, i dont want Shnmue modernized, and ik about S2 joystick option but still the default was dpad
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:48 am

GYO6161 wrote: No please dont, i want shenmue 3 too be as unmodern as possible, in my world Shenmue 3 wouldn't even run on UE4, instead on the original Shenmue DC engine, but oh well....
I also hope, people might disagree, but i to control ryo with the dpad on this one too, just make it like originals, i dont want Shnmue modernized, and ik about S2 joystick option but still the default was dpad

Wow you're literally the nightmare of Yu! (and the Cédric lookalike)
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SMDzero » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:29 pm

I actually hope that Ryo has stamina circle just like Link in Skyward Sword.

Y'know... speaking of Zelda I just saw Breath of the Wild and it is making me very excited for Shenmue 3. :) :)

I got a feeling that the same open expanse of Breath of the Wild and being able to literally travel anywhere and climb everything just might be the kind of open world Suzuki has in mind for Shenmue 3!
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Return to Shenmue III