Voice Acting

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

English or Japanese VA? (Total votes: 47)

English
47%
Japanese
45%
Undecided
9%

Re: Voice Acting

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:49 am

Pogogacy wrote:game which takes itself as seriously as Shenmue

Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Pogogacy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:00 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Pogogacy wrote:game which takes itself as seriously as Shenmue

Yes you're right, the existence of one duck racing easter egg in Shenmue II (which 99%+ of players will never even see) completely detracts from the grandeur, scope and ambition of the entire saga.

How silly of me.
Pogogacy
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:03 am

Lighten up, Francis. :P
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby koalazeus » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:03 am

I will go English. It will be strange going from English, to Japanese, back to English again, but that is how the cards have fallen. Perhaps if we get HD rereleases I will play everything through both ways.
koalazeus
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Not as much as I'd like

Postby Mr357 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:25 am

English mainly because I hate reading subs. Having Corey Marshall back is the next biggest reason. To me, Ryo just isn't himself without that voice.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby squall » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:53 am

Lump me in with those who really would prefer to have both.

While I accept that the English voice acting wasn't that great, it was also how I played Shenmue I, and fell in love with the game. So to some extent in my brain Corey Marshall's voice is Ryo. I am hoping for better direction/localization/etc. I also appreciate that Corey has stuck with the series through thick & thin, along with the fans.

I also played Shenmue II in Japanese since I imported the PAL version, rather than waiting for the Xbox version. So Masaya Matsukaze is also Ryo in my brain. Usually when I watch anime, I prefer Japanese with subtitles. A lot of the reason I like anime/Japanese games is for exposure to the Japanese culture, which just seems better reflected hearing the original dialogue, even if it's not how they talk in "real life".

So if I had to choose (I didn't vote) I would say Japanese, but I greatly prefer to have both options.

squall has received 2 thanks from: mjq jazz bar, SickOctopus
squall
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby mjq jazz bar » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:27 pm

I liked the English voice acting. It was part of the charm. Who had played many fully-voiced games in 1999 aside from hardcore PC gamers?

They definitely need better voice acting in 2017, though. Bad, cheesy, robotic voice acting isn't going to fly.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Centrale » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:43 pm

It's a bit worrisome to me that, according to at least one original voice actor, they were being asked to provide unnatural delivery of many of the lines... they told their director (possibly Yu Suzuki himself?) that English-speakers wouldn't speak in that way, but they were required to do so. Possibly as a way to give the impression of a non-native speaker (e.g., in the game world, Tom was supposedly speaking Japanese, but not fluently). I hope the task of directing the voice acting is delegated to someone who is experienced in specifically that discipline. Everyone's voices should sound natural, since we're already suspending disbelief by having Japanese and Chinese characters speaking in English.
Centrale
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:51 pm

The Japanese dub was better by far but the more time passes, the more I want to discover Shenmue 3 with Marshall's Ryo. You cannot find a more familiar voice than his own.

Needless to say, it will be kind of a joy to hear a likely proper English dub for the first time in Shenmue history.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Ceej » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:14 pm

Corey Marshall ftw.

Ceej has received a thanks from: GYO6161
Ceej

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:23 am

English first, Japanese second.

I just kinda accept the VO's/game going for a strange, Twin Peaks vibe, the FREE music certainly adds to that as well. I like it an even S2 I've just gotten used to. But please oh please Japanese VO w/ English subs for a HD release!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby Coromasta » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:36 pm

I would go with english with subs for the first playtrough. Mainly because it adds nostalgia value for me. Second playtrough in japanese, I'm curious how it sounds compared to 1&2.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn D6603 met Tapatalk
Coromasta

PSN: coromasta
XBL: coromasta91
Nintendo FC: coromasta
Steam: coromasta

Postby punkmanced » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:46 pm

Let’s be honest: the original English dub was a (muffled) piece of shit that cheapened the entire Shenmue experience…but at the time, we were so wowed by the most advanced graphics engine on the planet that we settled for said shit dub, and, ironically, even grew fond of it over the years.

Well, f*ck that. Time to play without feeling embarrassed: Japanese all the way.
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby GYO6161 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:02 am

punkmanced wrote: Let’s be honest: the original English dub was a (muffled) piece of shit that cheapened the entire Shenmue experience…but at the time, we were so wowed by the most advanced graphics engine on the planet that we settled for said shit dub, and, ironically, even grew fond of it over the years.

Well, f*ck that. Time to play without feeling embarrassed: Japanese all the way.

But not all of us (including me) feel embarrassed playing shenmue in English, even today. I can understand the dub's shortcomings in places but still i would rather play it in English over a language i don't understand and having to read it all.

I'm all for dual audio so everyone is happy, for both a S3 and a re release but, i choose English.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: God of War

Previous

Return to Shenmue III