Postby Raithos » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:38 am

phpBB [video]

Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Re: Digital Foundry Retro: Shenmue 2 - A Masterpiece Revisit

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:46 am

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I was waiting for this!
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby dark1x » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:00 am

Hope you guys enjoy some of it. I gave a shout out to this very forum since, really, this is THE place for Shenmue info. I'm amazed at how in-depth some folks have gone into pulling the game apart. It's awesome!

If I had time, I would have gone into more depth on emulation and, perhaps, point out more of those weird Xbox/DC differences (like all the modified signs and whatnot). Ah well.

dark1x
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Jibby » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:23 am

Fantastic video, thank you dark1x. It really does Shenmue II justice!
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby celsowm » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:24 am

dark1x wrote: Hope you guys enjoy some of it. I gave a shout out to this very forum since, really, this is THE place for Shenmue info. I'm amazed at how in-depth some folks have gone into pulling the game apart. It's awesome!

If I had time, I would have gone into more depth on emulation and, perhaps, point out more of those weird Xbox/DC differences (like all the modified signs and whatnot). Ah well.

Thanks a lot Dark1x, Can I ask you some questions?

1- In your opinion, how long or how hard would be to port Shenmue 2 to current gen platforms?
2- The release of this video in this very week (PSX, S2 the movie) was a coincidence or have you chosen by a special reason?
celsowm
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: celsowmbr

Postby fittersau » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:43 am

dark1x wrote: Hope you guys enjoy some of it. I gave a shout out to this very forum since, really, this is THE place for Shenmue info. I'm amazed at how in-depth some folks have gone into pulling the game apart. It's awesome!

Amazing work Dark! Thanks for the continuing Shenmue love!
fittersau
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Esppiral » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:47 am

Thanks a lot @dark1x
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Kintor » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:31 am

Awesome video, I'm really impressed by the attention to detail that DF Retro has provided for all versions Shenmue 2.

As a game Shenmue 2 is a technical masterpiece and this video does a great job of explaining why it holds up so well even today.
Kintor
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:44 am

Thanks for your work and your passion. Besides DF Retro, I love your gaming tastes (Quake, MDK, Unreal, Daytona...).
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby dark1x » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:14 pm

celsowm wrote: Thanks a lot Dark1x, Can I ask you some questions?

1- In your opinion, how long or how hard would be to port Shenmue 2 to current gen platforms?
2- The release of this video in this very week (PSX, S2 the movie) was a coincidence or have you chosen by a special reason?

Thanks

1 - I think it is quite doable BUT I do think it might be challenging. I'm sure the game uses a lot of very low-level code designed for the Dreamcast (and Xbox, I suppose) which might be difficult to work with. I can't imagine there was a lot of documentation or record keeping done on that so the team might be challenged there. It uses a lot of old data formats as well which could be tough to deal with. Still, I'm positive it can be done. It just needs a decent budget and a talented developer. I have high hopes that it will happen some day!

2 - Heh, it was a mix of both. Really, though, I made a promise to those that enjoyed the first video that I would do one for Shenmue 2 before the year was out and I finally had the time to make it happen.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed it because I love highlighting games like this. I feel like a lot of the retro talk from large sites tends to be very Nintendo-centric but I was more of a Sega/PC guy back in the day and wanted to really highlight those types of games.

dark1x
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Shenmue_Trilogy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:55 pm

Great video with a lot of details. =D> Thanks! The shadow problem on XBOX 360 with shenmue 2 is new to me. I planed to buy xbox 360 to play shenmue 2 on it but now I will consider the original xbox.
Shenmue_Trilogy

Postby GYO6161 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:04 pm

Something to note is that Demul doesn't have as much slow down as OG hardware, despite Demul being super accurate, that example shown in the Golden Quarter never got as slow in my Demul playthrough.
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby drunkensailor » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:16 am

I really love your videos. Please keep more retro ones coming!

One important factor that is not technical but makes the dreamcast version have a big plus imo is the ability to use your shenmue 1 savefile. that way the first game and everything you did doesn't feel like a waste.

Also why did you chose not to use much from disc 4 guilin? that is graphically the most amazing place and the differences there might be more interesting even
Last edited by drunkensailor on Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby drunkensailor » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:34 am

dark1x wrote:
celsowm wrote: Thanks a lot Dark1x, Can I ask you some questions?

Thanks

1 - I think it is quite doable BUT I do think it might be challenging. I'm sure the game uses a lot of very low-level code designed for the Dreamcast (and Xbox, I suppose) which might be difficult to work with. I can't imagine there was a lot of documentation or record keeping done on that so the team might be challenged there. It uses a lot of old data formats as well which could be tough to deal with. Still, I'm positive it can be done. It just needs a decent budget and a talented developer. I have high hopes that it will happen some day!

2 - Heh, it was a mix of both. Really, though, I made a promise to those that enjoyed the first video that I would do one for Shenmue 2 before the year was out and I finally had the time to make it happen.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed it because I love highlighting games like this. I feel like a lot of the retro talk from large sites tends to be very Nintendo-centric but I was more of a Sega/PC guy back in the day and wanted to really highlight those types of games.

awesome. Are you European? I noticed that indeed everything is so nintendo-centric but it really depends where you grew up. In north-east of Netherlands I grew up with sega and amiga. love it to death
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby Gromber » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:15 pm

yeah i needed in the video more info about widescreen fixes for shenmue on demul and real hardware.

Gromber has received a thanks from: Esppiral
Gromber
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Next

Return to Shenmue II