Playstation Experience - December 2016

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Playstation Experience - December 2016

Postby shredingskin » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:56 pm

FFXV seems better, so nothing lost 8) 8) 8)
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby jcjimher » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:57 pm

I think this thread clearly shows another side of the passion that made all of us endure a 14 year wait for the sequel.

And I say that as a compliment!

P.S: Ziming, that free music is doing wonders right now :-)

jcjimher has received a thanks from: Ziming
jcjimher
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Himuro » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:36 pm

jcjimher wrote: I think this thread clearly shows another side of the passion that made all of us endure a 14 year wait for the sequel.

What do you mean by this?
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Valascaziel » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:40 pm

I think that this thread shows passion on both sides, those who are angry, those who are optimistic but the thing is--every point has been valid to a degree.

Very little of it has been directed attacks at anyone, more logical debates with string points to counter each person's argument. It's almost like a good political debate would be.

I don't think this thread warrants locking at all, nobody is attacking anyone. I've enjoyed the reading of folks' stances, some synonymous with my own, some not as much but valid all the same.

Valascaziel has received a thanks from: Himuro
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kiske » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:57 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Himuro wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote: Just to clarify, the footage shown in Monaco was for all attendees, and entrance was free.

Also, while those videos have not been published online in full, short clips were later included within a separate montage.

Where can I see this montage?

This makes the lack of Monaco video on the KS page even more damning if it was available to all Monaco attendees for free.

Since you kept making a point of people paying £10,000 to see it, I assumed that was relevant to your objection.

phpBB [video]

Skip to around 1:12 for the footage, though it holds no surprises for you.

There is even a cut version of the Shibuya Productions video. (by a Shenmue fan, for Shenmue fans :) )

phpBB [video]

Now guys, about the PSX no show.
A lot has been said and I do understand the disappointment of some of you.
There were good reasons to believe Shenmue 3 would be at PSX16. I was amongst those convinced it would make it, to be fair. After a good night of sleep, the disappointment is gone. I don't care if we get a trailer before the end of the year or in 6 month, as far as the team can focus on doing the best job they can to deliver a great game.
Why? Because we know from reliable sources (Peter, LanDC, Adam Sipione) that Shenmue 3 actual state is better than what they were expecting. It's not like Shenmue 3 is in limbo. Shenmue 3 IS real and the improvements since the Monaco footage are real and significant. As said by Peter, we just need to be patient.
It would have been great to see Shenmue 3 at PSX, but the lack of it is not a disaster either.

The only thing I'm curious about is the reason why they didn't make it, if this was the plan.
Since we may never know, my only hope is that Suzuki San and the team didn't spend too much energy trying to make it.
A nice polished trailer can make a good impression, but it doesn't make necessarily a better game.
Do we really need "punchy" appearences in big shows with AAA competition to ensure Shenmue 3 success?
Last edited by Kiske on Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Himuro » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:58 pm

Valascaziel wrote: I think that this thread shows passion on both sides, those who are angry, those who are optimistic but the thing is--every point has been valid to a degree.

Very little of it has been directed attacks at anyone, more logical debates with string points to counter each person's argument. It's almost like a good political debate would be.

I don't think this thread warrants locking at all, nobody is attacking anyone. I've enjoyed the reading of folks' stances, some synonymous with my own, some not as much but valid all the same.

To be fair, I have been kind of inflammatory. The damage control comment was disrespectful and I apologize. I just want to see Shenmue III!
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby shredingskin » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:03 pm

Himuro wrote:
jcjimher wrote: I think this thread clearly shows another side of the passion that made all of us endure a 14 year wait for the sequel.

What do you mean by this?

That you're batshit crazy, and please don't kill him because he (mistakenly thinks) has a lot to live for.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Himuro » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:48 pm

Kiske wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Himuro wrote:
Let's Get Sweaty wrote: Just to clarify, the footage shown in Monaco was for all attendees, and entrance was free.

Also, while those videos have not been published online in full, short clips were later included within a separate montage.

Where can I see this montage?

This makes the lack of Monaco video on the KS page even more damning if it was available to all Monaco attendees for free.

Since you kept making a point of people paying £10,000 to see it, I assumed that was relevant to your objection.

phpBB [video]

Skip to around 1:12 for the footage, though it holds no surprises for you.

There is even a cut version of the Shibuya Productions video. (by a Shenmue fan, for Shenmue fans :) )

phpBB [video]

Now guys, about the PSX no show.
A lot has been said and I do understand the disappointment of some of you.
There were good reasons to believe Shenmue 3 would be at PSX16. I was amongst those convinced it would make it, to be fair. After a good night of sleep, the disappointment is gone. I don't care if we get a trailer before the end of the year or in 6 month, as far as the team can focus on doing the best job they can to deliver a great game.
Why? Because we know from reliable sources (Peter, LanDC, Adam Sipione) that Shenmue 3 actual state is better than what they were expecting. It's not like Shenmue 3 is in limbo. Shenmue 3 IS real and the improvements since the Monaco footage are real and significant. As said by Peter, we just need to be patient.
It would have been great to see Shenmue 3 at PSX, but the lack of it is not a disaster either.

The only thing I'm curious about is the reason why they didn't make it, if this was the plan.
Since we may never know, my only hope is that Suzuki San and the team didn't spend too much energy trying to make it.
A nice polished trailer can make a good impression, but it doesn't make necessarily a better game.
Do we really need "punchy" appearences in big shows with AAA competition to ensure Shenmue 3 success?

I'm sorry but I don't buy this. I appreciate the optimism and I can agree we should get past the PSX no show but disagree that things are just fine if they don't show anything in six months. There's being positive and then there's complacency. I'd say that approach you described is the latter. You should remember going forward that just because you are fine without them not showing anything doesn't really mean anything. We will wait for years because we've been waiting for years already. Just because they don't have anything to show in six months doesn't make it a good decision, especially when you consider that they've already shown the people you named footage. So they have footage, they're just not showing it to us. And if they don't show said footage within six months, whether or not you can stomach takes nothing away from non-fans' concerns. This is why you should be concerned. If this were a regular game with regular funding, I'd be fine if they showed nothing until TGS 17. But it's not. It's a pubicly funded project. And with that comes certain obligations to show progress even if it's not in a nearly complete form. They could show Ryo running along a prototype of Bailu and people would be satisfied. At least it'd be something.

Furthermore, people keep arguing the media would eviscerate them for showing non-complete footage when they media would destroy them even more for showing absolutely nothing. Pick your poison. I think most of the backers - even non-fans - would understand that it's a work in progress. Keeping backers in the dark for nearly a year just because we are satisfied with the team holding some high standard does not in any manner make it right.

Remember that this is a Kickstarter. Delays will happen. But complete silence just reminds me of the Matsuno Kickstarter and that's not good. It's okay to be optimistic but a lot of what you're writing sounds like blind optimism. "I'd be fine if they don't show anything in six months." Really? I'm sorry but you must holder Ys Net to a higher standard than this. A lot of you act as if they could do no wrong which is not a good way to think. I understand the optimism but I do not share this viewpoint where everything will be ok if they continue with their current trajectory and level of communication.

Something to consider in the future.

And yes, we do need Shenmue III to show up at game shows for success. Are you dillusional? Since when are Gravity Rush and Ys or even Yakuza AAA games? You need exposure and marketing and game shows do this. Why would you even ask this? This is what I mean. Asking whether or not III needs game shows for success? Are you joking? You are positing my points from a frame of reality. It is from what if's rather than what's proven. "It's fine if Shenmue III doesn't have any footage." "Does Shenmue III really need game shows?" will eventually turn into "Does Shenmue III really need to sell at least 1 million?" and "do we even need a Shenmue IV?" It seems as if this game could do no wrong with you. This is not optimism nor positivity, it's 100% delusion.

"A nice trailer makes a good impression" yes this is what we want so we can get Shenmue IV "but it doesn't make a great game." Why not have BOTH?

Spit your fanboy pills in the toilet because you'r post is offensive to any fans' intelligence.
Last edited by Himuro on Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby SMDzero » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:59 pm

Here is Yu Suzuki holding a press conference to address the absence of Shenmue 3 at PSX Experience.

SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Sappharad » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:43 pm

Hey everyone. I'll keep this quick, still at PSX. I spoke to Gio Corsi in person. Sony was never approached by Suzuki's team about showing at PSX. It was never planned, not cancelled. He believes they'll show backers first. That's about it.

Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Himuro » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:52 pm

Sappharad wrote: Hey everyone. I'll keep this quick, still at PSX. I spoke to Gio Corsi in person. Sony was never approached by Suzuki's team about showing at PSX. It was never planned, not cancelled. He believes they'll show backers first. That's about it.

I'm laughing.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Jibby » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:52 pm

The plot thickens...
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ys » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:02 pm

Ziming wrote: Time for some Shenmue music to put everyone at ease.

Ne ne nuh ne nuuuh, nuh nuuh nuuuuuuh.

ys has received a thanks from: iyapol
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Valascaziel » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:04 pm

Sappharad wrote:Hey everyone. I'll keep this quick, still at PSX. I spoke to Gio Corsi in person. Sony was never approached by Suzuki's team about showing at PSX. It was never planned, not cancelled. He believes they'll show backers first. That's about it.

Okay. Well---we were teased fairly heavily about PSX, though maybe, just maybe they meant around the *time* of PSX, not necessarily the event itself.

As for showing backers first; well, we've precious little granules to go around as it is so far and nothing has led me to believe that they will add to that plate so far.

Showing to backers is one thing, but exposure on the main stage could have brought so much money to the table. A solid trailer will entice backers, if impressive, to possibly up their pledges, but it is peas to what a main course on the main event could have brought.
Valascaziel
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby punkmanced » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:54 pm

Another case of miscommunication.
Perhaps we as backers will get a year-end update with some new footage/ screens, etc.

In any case, not having planned to capitalize on the PSX opportunity....is just....retarded.

punkmanced has received a thanks from: Himuro
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III