What ~*May*~ Be Coming in December's Kickstarter Update

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: What ~*May*~ Be Coming in December's Kickstarter Update

Postby Esppiral » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:20 pm

My biggest concern about shenmue III are actually the character models, the game can be better or worse, but if the characters looks like some random people doing Shenmue cosplays, and that is how they look to me right now... it can put me out of the game.

I am sorry for posting this again, but I did some characters models based on the passport faces directly ripped from the game, so I don't understand why thet don't do this, at least....

This are based on the passport faces, tweaked and with new bodies, they are still faith to their original look, they should do something similar

They have more resources and some source material I can't understand why they are making things harder then they are.

Iirc Yu said Sega allowed them to use source material from the original games, I guess this also means source material from the assets they used for the renders back then.

just use it!

Now look at this...

BTW, it looks that they used different models for Shenhua in the renders, some looks different than others, all are beatifull anyway. :)

Esppiral has received a thanks from: iyapol
Esppiral
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: Esppiral
XBL: Esppiral
Steam: Esppiral
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: The Witcher 2

Postby Rikitatsu » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:43 pm

Actually I'm not a fan of the passport models... Especially Ryo and Xiuying.
In-game Ryo is less detailed, but I like his facial features better...
His head is a bit rounder compared to passport, which looks weirdly elongated. In-game Ryo's facial features are also more spaced out in comparison.

I just think he looks better overall.

There is also the fact that we're used to playing as the in-game Ryo, so seeing the new model resembling it will make the continuity aspect feel stronger.

Rikitatsu has received 2 thanks from: Gavan, Spaghetti
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:51 pm

Ingame Xiuying is the most stunning female charadesign I ever seen in a video game until Ciri from The Witcher 3.

Abour Ryo, the Shenmue Online CGI is the reason I want to believe. This one is probably made from scratch and he looks awesome:

Yokosuka has received 5 thanks from: Esppiral, Gavan, Himuro, iyapol, Mr357
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:29 pm

ChiefNeo wrote: I think so. I wish I could remember where I read that exactly.

The last time I remember Yu addressing the models was the panel at MAGIC, where he said they will respect the images in the minds of the fans who finished Shenmue II, R.E Ryo and Shenhua.

Maybe you're mistaken?

-----------------

But anyway, I think it's worth a reminder that it isn't confirmed we're seeing new models, just my speculation because I noticed a few things may be different.

And also, if they are the new models and aren't perfect, there's still a year of development left at least. Let's not scream mutiny over something that is a work in progress.

I do think we have to let go of the obsession with the passport models, though. They're great on Dreamcast but they're showing their age significantly. The E3 2015 models were made cheaply and quickly, and not indicative of what the team can really do.

Spaghetti has received 3 thanks from: Anonymous81, ChiefNeo, FlagshipFighter
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Himuro » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:14 pm

Besides the fact that we see in-game Ryo more than Passport Ryo I have no idea how someone can prefer squat face game Ryo to Passport or NoCon or Esspiral's Ryo. Different strokes though. I definitely don't want him to look like how he did in the old games in III. I think Kid Nocon's Ryo is the Ryo to beat personally.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Hazuki00 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:27 pm

Yokosuka wrote: Ingame Xiuying is the most stunning female charadesign I ever seen in a video game until Ciri from The Witcher 3.

Abour Ryo, the Shenmue Online CGI is the reason I want to believe. This one is probably made from scratch and he looks awesome:

This Ryo is astonishing, they should make him look like this!
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:57 pm

yeah i've really gotta wonder how they ended up with those first versions of Ryo and Shenhua when they already had perfectly good high res models available on the passport discs.

.. really hope they just use the passport models or better versions based upon them.
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:21 pm

It depends.

They may have had to get the project off the ground quickly and cheaply, and creating new models could have genuinely have been the better option for that.

Or maybe SEGA did not offer full access to archive materials for the series until after funding completed.

Or some other reason nobody other than the developers know about.

They can genuinely do better than the passport models, though. The Ryo model from the Famitsu scans does look technically better and more of a recognisable person, even if not 100% like Ryo as we know him from previous games.

I mean, I don't know if this is a different model to the Kickstarter video but it does look a lot better than the images usually passed around when talking about Shenmue III's models.

They'll have to split the difference between realistic facial proportions and making the character recognisable, just like developers had to do with Kazuma Kiryu in Yakuza 6, or Big Boss in MGSV, so we should keep an open mind when they do actually show the models.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ChiefNeo » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:09 pm

Spaghetti wrote:
ChiefNeo wrote: I think so. I wish I could remember where I read that exactly.

The last time I remember Yu addressing the models was the panel at MAGIC, where he said they will respect the images in the minds of the fans who finished Shenmue II, R.E Ryo and Shenhua.

Maybe you're mistaken?

-----------------

But anyway, I think it's worth a reminder that it isn't confirmed we're seeing new models, just my speculation because I noticed a few things may be different.

And also, if they are the new models and aren't perfect, there's still a year of development left at least. Let's not scream mutiny over something that is a work in progress.

I do think we have to let go of the obsession with the passport models, though. They're great on Dreamcast but they're showing their age significantly. The E3 2015 models were made cheaply and quickly, and not indicative of what the team can really do.

I really hope I am. I hope it's just a brainfart.

ChiefNeo has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
ChiefNeo
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby punkmanced » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:27 am

The Famitsu screens are a vast improvement over the garbage stock models they had in place during the E3 reveal. They’re definitely on the right track, IMO.
(Granted, they could’ve simply lifted Kid Nocon’s awesome model, had they opted for simplicity.)

That aside, does anyone else get the impression they’re trying to make Ryo look younger?
(ie closer to looking like a 17 year-old)
punkmanced
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:47 am

https://twitter.com/NovinWorksPlus/status/807767200727633920

Just so we don't get ahead of ourselves, nothing we've seen even in the tease Tweet is 100% what we're going to see in the update.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Anonymous81 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:34 am

Spaghetti wrote: https://twitter.com/NovinWorksPlus/status/807767200727633920

Just so we don't get ahead of ourselves, nothing we've seen even in the tease Tweet is 100% what we're going to see in the update.

Yep. This should be a mantra on this forum, a lens through which to view ALL expectations imo: "Plans can evolve @ any second. Nothing is official ahead it's time." As the tweet above says.

Anonymous81 has received a thanks from: Spaghetti
Anonymous81
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Witcher 3

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:18 am

I think the current character models were done by YS before Takashi Ito joined.

YS is an ideas guy, he's not a top quality 3D modeler and it shows. Obviously without a big company like 90s SEGA doing the busy work, some of the premium feel Shenmue had will be lost but that's the price for pursuing the project as a indy team.
Last edited by killthesagabeforeitkillsu on Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu has received a thanks from: Anonymous81
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:55 am

HYYYYYYYYYPE

Yu Suzuki retweeted the Ali's tweet (the one with Shenhua).

First time his twitter account is active since 7 months.

HYYYYYYYYYPE

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: delvec19
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Rikitatsu » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:03 am

I always wondered what the "Ambassador" job entails... Is it an official job? Or just an honorary position?
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III