Random Shenmue III Thoughts

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Postby SMDzero » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:45 am

myshtuff wrote: Luckily I have plenty of other crap I could sell first. :)

I would probably just sell my starving family before I sold Shenmue 3.

Gotta be honest!
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Rikitatsu » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:54 pm

Isn't tomorrow that Pre-MAGIC Monaco conference? I wonder if they will livestream it?
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hazuki00 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:10 pm

Rikitatsu wrote: Isn't tomorrow that Pre-MAGIC Monaco conference? I wonder if they will livestream it?

Yes, and still Cedric didn't know if he would tell something about Shenmue 3 :sad:
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Peter » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:45 pm

I could be wrong, but I've said for months Yu won't be at it. He was first on the bill last year, and he is up to his eyes in Shenmue 3 development. I was trying to tell people throughout last year not to book flights and whatnot, but people went ahead anyways. If they are into other games, particularly Final Fantasy then they are in luck, but as for Shenmue, this is the nut and bolts time now. Where the real hard work begins. I'm not even expecting major updates for the next 6 months at least.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby delvec19 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:19 pm

Peter wrote: I could be wrong, but I've said for months Yu won't be at it. He was first on the bill last year, and he is up to his eyes in Shenmue 3 development. I was trying to tell people throughout last year not to book flights and whatnot, but people went ahead anyways. If they are into other games, particularly Final Fantasy then they are in luck, but as for Shenmue, this is the nut and bolts time now. Where the real hard work begins. I'm not even expecting major updates for the next 6 months at least.

So right in time for...E3?
delvec19
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Hazuki00 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:32 pm

Suzuki told new videos will be released early this year, I hope next month or so..
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Peter » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:44 pm

It's a possibility, but I am convincing myself this is a period of darkness to preserve any excitement of a new released trailer.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Telekill » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:49 pm

delvec19 wrote:
Peter wrote: I could be wrong, but I've said for months Yu won't be at it. He was first on the bill last year, and he is up to his eyes in Shenmue 3 development. I was trying to tell people throughout last year not to book flights and whatnot, but people went ahead anyways. If they are into other games, particularly Final Fantasy then they are in luck, but as for Shenmue, this is the nut and bolts time now. Where the real hard work begins. I'm not even expecting major updates for the next 6 months at least.

So right in time for...E3?

I expect maybe a story trailer for Shenmue 3 and the Shenmue HD Collection announcement but nothing major for Shenmue 3. i.e. No big gameplay sections shown.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby Spaghetti » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:11 pm

YSnet seem committed to at least providing an update per month for backers so I'm not expecting actual total silence, but I think we'll see another three month run of fluff updates leading up to something bigger at some point.

There's definitely a lot of stuff that can be covered in the updates this year, though. Mo-cap and voice-over sessions, a look at the prototypes/final design of the backer rewards, cast interviews (expecting one with Corey Marshall at some point), that kind of thing. They can easily squeeze some interesting updates out without even having to show the game running, so hopefully it'll be an easier wait to get to the big stuff.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:38 am

Judging from Twitter, Shenmue III didn't make an appearance at the pre-MAGIC press conference in Paris.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby delvec19 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:15 am

Spaghetti wrote: Judging from Twitter, Shenmue III didn't make an appearance at the pre-MAGIC press conference in Paris.

Not a surprise..
delvec19

Postby Peter » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:19 am

Maybe next year.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:36 am

delvec19 wrote:Not a surprise..

Nah, it didn't seem like anything had been planned so it was passed over.

Last we heard, Shenmue III is still set to appear at MAGIC proper next month in some form. Cedric said yesterday on Twitter he's hoping to get an answer soon as to whether Yu will be attending or not, but I figure if they're leaving it this late to decide it's unlikely plans will change.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiske » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:12 pm

Peter wrote: Maybe next year.

Shouldn't Shenmue 3 be out by February 2018?

Or does your answer show how much you bet/believe in a (likely) delay?
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Ziming » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:51 pm

1UP Yu Suzuki interview from 2010
http://archive.is/avCo3

YS: The concept for Shenmue 3 already exists, so... [Laughs] The world of Shenmue 1 and 2 expanded outward. So, for example, in the original games, of all the data used for dialogue in the game, the main characters' dialogue was about 20%. The remaining 80% was dialogue by characters other than the two main characters. But Shenmue 3 doesn't expand outward, but inward. A lot of the dialogue is used for the main character and especially dialogue with Shenhua. They talk about a lot of different, deeper things. For example, and I can't say too much, but here's an example.

This is not actually in the game, but as an example to give you an idea of what I mean by deeper dialogue, when Shenhua and Ryo are at home, Shenhua will ask Ryo if he would like to drink tea or coffee and the player will select one or the other. Or, Shenhua will ask Ryo a hypothetical question like: "There are four animals; a monkey, cat, dog and bird. You are crossing the river but you need to leave one behind. Which one will you leave behind?" And the player has to choose one. Shenhua will ask lots and lots of questions like these and the answers will get stored in the game and affect the outcome of the player's relationship with other characters. It's like a personality test. For example, the person who leaves behind the monkey is the type of person who leaves their wife."

Here are some high resolution Shenmue concept art images from Magic Monaco 2016. I cropped them from photos taken during the event.

Ziming has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, Switch
Ziming
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III