Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby Monkei » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:14 pm

I'm having a blast playing Resident Evil 0 HD at the moment, after that it's gonna be Resident Evil Revelations 2, and then sometime later this year Resident Evil 7: Biohazard. The cool thing about that is: This way I'm playing all of the three existing playstyles of the franchise's main games in chronological order - from fixed camera horror adventure to third person horror shooter to first person survival horror. And it's the most recent of each of the branches, too. It's like playing through the series' evolution in huge steps. Yay for that. : )

Would be kinda cool if I could repeat that cycle with the Resident Evil 2 remake (who knows, would make sense to be fixed camera again for old time's sake), Resident Evil Revelations 3 (who knows, might get made and would likely keep the third person camera) and Resident Evil 8 (will most likely get made and keep the first person style I guess). Is 'might get made' proper English? Would also be a great way for Capcom to keep making all three styles for a while (Resident Evil 3: Nemesis and maybe even Resident Evil Code: Veronica, despite the already existing PS3 port, are left to be remade) and satisfy each corner of its fanbase.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby redline » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:10 am

/\
good man.

last month i finished both resident evil HD & 0 HD (ps4) & a while back, i eBay'd resident evil 2 & 3 (ps1) and played them on my ps3. - after a short while you get over the ps1 graphics and the great RE gameplay comes through.

from what ive read, they are not interested in making any more "old" style RE games as they disappointed with the sales of resident evil 1/2 HD. ](*,)

at the moment im looking to replay mgs1 (ps1). last time i played mgs1 was the gamecube remake in 2004.

----------------
wonder if this would would work with dreamcast controller/S2

redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:34 am

Actually redline they are making an RE2 remake. ;)
https://youtu.be/ZcW6W-xVl-8
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Monkei » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:43 am

redline wrote: /\
good man.

last month i finished both resident evil HD & 0 HD (ps4) & a while back, i eBay'd resident evil 2 & 3 (ps1) and played them on my ps3. - after a short while you get over the ps1 graphics and the great RE gameplay comes through.

Absolutely. I never had a PS1 or PS2 and missed Code Veronica on Dreamcast, but I remeber playing parts of at least RE 2 on the PC back then. Maybe also parts of 1 and 3. When I later got a Gamecube I played through the whole series consecutively, from RE Zero to 1 (remake), 2, 3, Code: Veronica X and 4. I had a hell of a time puzzling, backtracking and managing my items, that classic kind of RE gameplay is just pure fun to me. (I enjoyed RE 4 for other reasons obviously.) I really enjoy not having those item boxes in RE Zero, too. Makes you think more about what to take with you and forces you to set up a kind of basecamp (I just moved everything from the training facility's main hall to the church), which is fun to me. Also, I'm using Billy as kind of a tank (whole inventory filled with weapons and ammo), while Rebecca carries nothing but her pistol and one first aid spray and is mainly meant to pick up stuff. Works great for me. I get why some people are annoyed by the forced backtracking to get stuff you already collected, but for me that's not an issue.
Oh and the great thing with 1 and 0 HD is that in those two cases you don't even have to get over PS1 graphics to enjoy that good old gameplay. Both games look simply gorgeous in HD (except some of the pre-rendered cutscenes), even after all those years. Maybe I should have started my RE Zero playthrough on hard instead of normal though, the game is a little too easy. Those hunters running into your shotgun until they're dead without ever touching you are a joke. Same goes for the first three bosses, including the infected bat, which dies in a couple of seconds from five consecutive firegrenades without even touching you. I guess the worst threat in the game is still a bunch of zombies, attacking you from various angles at the same time. Or those leech creatures when you don't have enough molotov cocktails with you. Overall still really easy. Really easy and really fun.

from what ive read, they are not interested in making any more "old" style RE games as they disappointed with the sales of resident evil 1/2 HD. ](*,)

Aw, bummer. I'm really curious whether they changed their mind about that by now for the RE 2 remake, or if it's really gonna be third person or even first person instead. Each way would be kinda cool I think, but I'd definitely prefer the old fixed camera style for this.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Raithos » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:30 pm

Got the Master Sword yesterday. "Unbreakable" in the sense that it runs out of energy and needs to recharge (ten minutes). What's really cool is it started glowing when I walked into a dungeon. Checked my inventory and the dps doubles the moment you step inside :)

edit: the quest to get it was awesome. very memorable moment in the game

Raithos has received 2 thanks from: Monkei, Sonikku
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Monkei » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:30 am

^ That game sound so damn brilliant.. I wish there was space for (and money to buy) a Switch in my life.

Another Resident Evil thought:
I was thinking about the chances of getting an RE3 remake after the RE2 remake while playing RE0, and I came to the conclusion that that's a pretty save bet. I mean Capcom is building Raccoon City again for RE2. If that game bombs ultra hard, there's no hope I guess, but that's unlikely to happen. If it manages to kinda cover its costs RE3 is pretty much guaranteed, it doesn't have to be a huge hit I think. They'll use what they already developed for RE2 to build RE3 at a much lower cost and in the end that's gonna mean a good enough profit for them.
They basically did the same thing with RE1 and RE0. Except for the train section (and a few other things) in 0, that game looks pretty much like someone took RE1 apart and rearranged the pieces into RE0. RE0 was clearly developed to maximize profits from a newly built engine and environments. Just add a Nemesis to RE2 and move the buildings and hallways around a bit (I know it's a little more complicated than that) and you got your RE3 remake.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby Axm » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:59 am

Would say its a safe bet RE2make will be successful if its half as good as REmake and Zero.

Atm still playing Horizon and still finding it absolutely breathtaking. Don't want to spoil anything in the slightest but jeez, you really get all kinds of environments in this game. And the beasts just keep getting more interesting.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Sonikku » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:56 pm

I'm not saying defeating a guardian by successfully nailing the razor thin timing on redirecting its own death beam right back at it by parrying with your shield is an orgasmic experience. But it could be pretty close.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Raithos
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:22 pm

Sonikku wrote: I'm not saying defeating a guardian by successfully nailing the razor thin timing on redirecting its own death beam right back at it by parrying with your shield is an orgasmic experience. But it could be pretty close.

Once I realized you could do that, my Dark Souls instinct took over and the game became very easy lol.

Also just saw this posted on Twitter.

Raithos has received a thanks from: Sonikku
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Sonikku » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:26 pm

Damn. Epona's ass got a whole lot fatter in the future.

Sonikku has received a thanks from: myshtuff
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Ziming » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:14 pm

phpBB [video]

Ziming has received 3 thanks from: Monkei, Mr357, Raithos
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Sonikku » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:56 pm

As someone who loved the Mass Effect trilogy, that made me cringe. The lack of advertising I'm seeing of this game suggests that it'll be a disappointment and EA knows it. Damn, Bioware. Once you could do no wrong. Now you seem to do no right. :no:
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby redline » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:31 am

just finished mgs1 on the ps3. great game as i remember it.. but i think it will be the last time i play the ps1 version.

in the future, if i ever want to play mgs i'll opt for twin snakes again.

- now on to mgs2 HD on the ps3.... after that its mgs4. \:D/
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby sand4fish » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:44 pm

Changed my mind. I'm digging ME Andromeda. It has a great sense of humor.

sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Monkei » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:04 am

^ Just erased that game from my 'to-play-someday'-list..
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming