Ryo's clothes look too tight

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Ryo's clothes look too tight

Postby SMDzero » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:21 pm

Doom_Infinite wrote:
SMDzero wrote: I'm only concerned that Ryo's jeans look a bit too long in the back.

Now a days people wear shorter pants but that was in fashion back then. I remember in the 80's we wanted to wear longer jeans and it was exactly like that, when you took shoes off inside the house the jeans would drag around and wear down which was a problem. :(

It didn't seem to be a problem when Ryo took off his shoes in the Hazuki residence....
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby sand4fish » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:36 pm

Not tight enough IMO.

sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Peter » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:19 pm

Is this the height of 1st world problems? Have we reached that yet with this?
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby ShenGCH » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:45 pm

Peter wrote: Is this the height of 1st world problems? Have we reached that yet with this?

Well, duh :lol:
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:43 pm

khmlight3 wrote: Ryo's hair looks different does that mean you change Ryo's hair in the game?

Probably not. YSnet seem to have switched to a more realistic shader/rendering method for hair, but Ryo's hairstyle as we know it isn't really very realistically achievable, so they don't seem to have worked out how to split the difference between this realistic style and making it still look like Ryo's hair yet.

If they're doing Lan Di's hair in the same way... it should look pretty great.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:54 pm

That's the problem I'm havin with it so far. Whilst yes, the environments look beautiful n all that shit, Shenmue I & II were still pretty stylised, and the shift to makin everything look as photorealistic as possible is hindering the overall aesthetic, imo.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby shredingskin » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:10 am

I hope Ryo can stab enemies with his pointy ass.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby ShenGCH » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:12 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: That's the problem I'm havin with it so far. Whilst yes, the environments look beautiful n all that shit, Shenmue I & II were still pretty stylised, and the shift to makin everything look as photorealistic as possible is hindering the overall aesthetic, imo.

Looking at the handful of interior shots we've been granted access to, they appear to have retained the 'dirty' look of Shenmue II (in particular) pretty damn well. As for the photorealism, it's just an evolution of technology, really; had the technology we have today been available back then, you can bet they'd have taken advantage of it in any and every way possible. We no longer live in a world of ubiquitous low-poly models and muddy textures, providing those designing the aforementioned are competent, of course. Going from strictly urban to very rural is a sure factor, too, in that instead of seeing concrete and metal everywhere, we're seeing nature and old-fashioned architecture in its place.

Much of Shenmue II's rendition of Guilin's woods, for example, is laughable by today's standards, and that's because they were held back by technology, but if the team are able to capture the colours, the contrast, the tone, and atmosphere as they appeared in the former, paired with the leaps-and-bounds-ahead technology of today, they've done a pretty damn good job.
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:45 am

ShenGCH pretty much beat me to the punch, but I had most of this post written anyway so whatever:

Shenmue and Shenmue II were only stylised so much as the use of colour and light sources for the most part, the rest is just pure hardware limitations.

Shenmue III doesn't look to be chasing photorealism as far as I can tell, just taking advantage of modern rendering capabilities. The hair issue seems just a case of getting the mesh right to convey some of the definition Ryo had in his hair in the old CG renders/Dreamcast models, but I'm not a 3D artist so I'm only speaking as a layman with limited understanding.

Maybe you're just having a bit of trouble adjusting to the "new" look because of the 15+ year leap in graphics technology?

Either way, what we're seeing is still incomplete so it doesn't really matter anyway. Ryo's model getting finalised is probably on a big laundry list of things that still need doing.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Jibby » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:33 am

Default Unreal Engine tends to look generic. But it has great stylising potential with a huge amount of settings to tweak. Just look at those Unreal Engine showreels and you'll see a huge range of different styles. Once the team get round to really focusing on it and really fine tuning those settings, I think the difference between that build of the game and what we see now will be night and day.

Jibby has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:10 am

I think there has to be a capacity to just accept that this game will be made with a new engine, and have different looks and feels etc. But that's where the talent of Yu Suzuki, and the team he has selected to capture the UE4s look and feel of Shenmue essentially. There will always be that minority out there that will just hate this game because it's not being made with the original DC engine, and that's just the way of it.

But as time goes on, i have the complete belief this will be the true progression of the series, worthy of the title of Shenmue 3. I mentioned in the other topic about the colour pallette now seemingly mastered with the shot of the warehouse arcade. The dirty rusty doors, the wall textures etc... It looks like the world of Shenmue, and bring it back to what i was saying about the talents of achieving that on a brand new engine. All those codes and settings to be tweaked and searched with a fine toothed comb. That's the talent of Yu Suzuki and his team. Considering what they have given is in the past, 2 of the best games ever made, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt after that last update. Things are most certainly heading in the right direction.

Peter has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Hazuki00 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:09 am

I love reading Peter's replies, it makes me hyped!

More than 15 years have passed, so technology has improved and because of that, Shenmue 3 can't have the same exact feeling and visual style than before. However I'm really impress that even in this early stage of development you can see they managed to capture the Shenmue feel, colors, light...

I'm sure we'll get a Shenmue with today's technology.

Hazuki00 has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Hazuki00
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Waiting for Shenmue 3

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:50 pm

They're definitely getting a lot of the colour and light source stuff right, IMO.

Shenhua's kitchen is a good example:

Blue shadows:

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: KidMarine
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Hyo Razuki » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:26 pm

It's actually shocking how spot on the "Shenmue 2 style" colors are. They fucking nailed it. =D> I have the feeling they're really going out of their way to make this feel as Shenmue as possible.

Let's face it. To most people who have played the original Dreamcast games, Shenmue will forever be a Dreamcast game and if life was fair, the DC would have sold enough units to get the Shenmue series finished on the system but it isn't so we must appreciate what we have. 16 years have passed. Of course it's probably not gonna be 100% the same feeling but I think YS Net deserve credit for trying to give us the most "Dreamcast S2" colors possible. And so far, it looks like they're doing one hell of a job at that.

Hyo Razuki has received a thanks from: VukBZ2005
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Rikitatsu » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:17 pm

Literally nothing about this Ryo model looks right to me, from his body shape, clothing, hair, butt... So I really hope this is just a placeholder from E3'15 and a completely different model than the one being worked on for the final game.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III